NY to KY in September - dumb idea?

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be my dumbest idea yet so I figured I'd get the sound opinion of the forum :thumbup:

My son will be coming home on leave from Afghanistan in early September and wants me to come down to visit. I could be normal and book an airline reservation.......car is out because I'm not sure it would make it.......but I'm considering taking the FZ. I have never ridden this far and doubt I could get anyone to make the trip with me since I will be gone for over a week. My idea is that I would make the trip over two days (probably weekends to avoid road construction) and maybe post my route and see if I could get forum members to ride with me at different points.

Here are my concerns:

1. Any mechanical problem with the bike would leave me stranded and alone - including a flat tire.

2. Could I do it physically?

3. Should I really travel alone?

4. How will I feel about the ride back?

I did the trip by car once and it wasn't too bad - I-90 through NY will probably be the busiest and worse section. Then again, last time I did it I had my daughter with me to keep me company.

Here is the first proposed route:

Driving Directions from Albany, NY to Hopkinsville, KY

What do you think?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like nice ride! Doing 1000 miles in two days should be a piece of cake. Shoot for 500 miles each day, and then see how you feel at the end of the first day. If you're still good, ride another 100-150 miles. When you stop for the night, you'll be well over half way to your destination.

Try working some longer rides in before tackling this trip. Go explore the countryside and see how you feel after a 300-400 mile day.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
looks like a fun ride, but I would not go it alone if you don't feel experienced enough or if you don't have anyone that can come and help you if have an issue. Also, never travel at night by your self....it's too dangerous for many reasons, I'm sure you don't need me to explain.

Get someone to go with you.....?

Just my thoughts......

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the best AAA package that AAA offers which includes nation wide towing, even if I'm in a buddy's car and it breaks down they still will come get me at any time. It isn't all that expensive and if I ever need it, it might just save my butt. Maybe consider getting a AAA package that suits ya.

"If you don't like the weather in KY, wait fifteen minutes."

Just check the weather as thoroughly as you can and be prepared (as opposed to not being prepared) for bad weather.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the best AAA package that AAA offers which includes nation wide towing, even if I'm in a buddy's car and it breaks down they still will come get me at any time. It isn't all that expensive and if I ever need it, it might just save my butt. Maybe consider getting a AAA package that suits ya.

While it's true that AAA offers Nationwide towing, I must ask if you've ever used their service? In metropolitan areas, AAA and their network of tow operators might be adequate. Once you get into rural areas, you'll find very few, (if any) tow operators participate with AAA.

Why is this you ask? AAA is notorious for offering low payouts per service call. Many tow operators would rather stay home than accept a payment that hardly covers the cost of their fuel. Due to my job, I have a pretty close working relationship with 3 different tow companies. All three of them refuse to participate with AAA because of it takes them forever to pay for services rendered, and their payouts are quite low. A typical tow in my area runs $85-$100 whereas AAA will offer around $60 and tell the tow operator to "take it or leave it".

In my area, there is one tow company that participates with AAA. He's one of those "fly by night" type operations and you're lucky if he answers the phone. Last year I took a complaint where a guy hit a deer with his Jeep Grand Cherokee. He wiped out the radiator and it was not driveable. I waited 3 hours with the guy and he finally decided to call a different tow company which arrived within 20 minutes of his call.

AAA might be a good idea, but please do your homework before handing over your hard-earned greenbacks.

Last edited:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While it's true that AAA offers Nationwide towing, I must ask if you've ever used their service? In metropolitan areas, AAA and their network of tow operators might be adequate. Once you get into rural areas, you'll find very few, (if any) tow operators participate with AAA.

Why is this you ask? AAA is notorious for offering low payouts per service call. Many tow operators would rather stay home than accept a payment that hardly covers the cost of their fuel. Due to my job, I have a pretty close working relationship with 3 different tow companies. All three of them refuse to participate with AAA because of it takes them forever to pay for services rendered, and their payouts are quite low. A typical tow in my area runs $85-$100 whereas AAA will offer around $60 and tell the tow operator to "take it or leave it".

In my area, there is one tow company that participates with AAA. He's one of those "fly by night" type operations and you're lucky if he answers the phone. Last year I took a complaint where a guy hit a deer with his Jeep Grand Cherokee. He wiped out the radiator and it was not driveable. I waited 3 hours with the guy and he finally decided to call a different tow company which arrived within 20 minutes of his call.

AAA might be a good idea, but please do your homework before handing over your hard-earned greenbacks.

I will keep this in mind. If they ever screw me over then that will be the last time I send them money.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, make sure you have both rental and towing that covers a bike on your insurance policy. If you do break down, you can at least have the bike towed to the closest Yamaha dealer and get a car to continue the trip, then pick up the bike on the way back through.

It is doable!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
No, it's not dumb, sounds like fun. +1 on the AAA.

1. Any mechanical problem with the bike would leave me stranded and alone - including a flat tire.
- As mentioned, be sure you are up to date on the AAA, also mark out bike shops on your route. I got a flat crossing the Nevada, California border just crossing Havasu, AAA bailed me out but no bike shops in the area had the rear tire.

- I don't know much about the kind of shape your in to begin with, but, if you are in descent shape, then yes. Be sure to; stay hydrated, give yourself a rest every 100 -125 miles, change up your riding position (I have 4 that I rotate through on long rides; normal seated position to, sliding back in my seat to standing for a mile, to right up on the tank, back to normal, some optional positions are feet on the frame sliders and feet on the rear pegs CAUTION on these last two)don't be surprised if your legs get a little wobbly.

- Make sure friends and family know your route, check in with them on a scheduled basis, and travel by day. Great idea about meeting up with forum members along the way :thumbup:.

- As long as you have sufficient time in KY, you should feel fine about the ride back.

Don't forget to enjoy the scenery and have fun with the ride, if after the first day you decide that 500 miles a day is too much, then add a day.

Have fun :rockon:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are my concerns:

Service or have your bike serviced before you leave, no reason to expect mechanical problems. For a flat, get a repair kit, which I have read are easy and reliable to use.

If you have never gone a long distance in one day on a bike, my guess is that two 500 mile days on mostly expressway will take its toll. But you'll have to decide this one for yourself.

Well, there is no reason you should not be able to do so. On the other hand, I don't think I would be comfortable if my wife proposed your plan. On the other other hand, I am a worrier.

Another one to answer for yourself. If you do the the ride down as two 500-mile days and it really beats you, maybe plan the ride back as three 333-mile days.

I did the trip by car once and it wasn't too bad - I-90 through NY will probably be the busiest and worse section. Then again, last time I did it I had my daughter with me to keep me company.

Here is the first proposed route:

What do you think?

You live in New York and obviously know a lot more about travelling there. I have never travelled I-90, but from what I have heard it is busy. Two years ago I drove (by car) to Maine. I took I-86/NY-17/I-88 through the southern part of New York as an alternative to I-90. It seemed like a pretty nice drive. It is only a few miles and minutes longer than your proposed route.

To alleviate concerns about items 1 and 3 above, I'll bet you could get a list of phone numbers of Forum members such that you could probably call for and get help within an hour anywhere along your route.

Good luck if you decide to do it.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Not knowing some of your personal facts, here's my take based on some recent experience:

I'm 50 and in excellent physical shape. I did a two day tour last month totaling 450 miles; it was my first tour.

I can't see myself doing 500 miles/day (at least on an FZ6). Though there was some stress invovled as it was my first ride, I got road weary. I'm planning a trip to Asheville, NC to visit my daugher in the fall. It's 600 miles (each way) and I'm planning 2 days each way. And the ride back does feel longer, lol.

My advice would be to take a couple of trips; you need to gain the experience of a couple of long rides and make a judgement call based on the knowledge you gain from your first couple of trips.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I guess I need to make a few phone calls, insurance, AAA (which I should get for my car anyway), etc. I am in pretty good physical condition but do get a little sore after a day (250-300 miles) on the bike, but I suppose I have time to take some longer rides in preparation.

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments - this forum is awesome. :)