Not the happiest camper...

Kassassin

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the bike so far, but along with the water/fuel drain hose being crazy kinked from the dealer, now I have found a stripped screw on the bottom of the throttle lever assembly.

Obviously I am going to bring it to the dealer and complain, but what are they going to do? Are they obligated to fix the problem? Are they going to try to pin it on me? Is this going to be free of charge under warranty? How long do shops normally take to fix stuff? This is pretty much my only way of transportation.

I know that yamaha's are bullet proof and have a whole lot of quirks, but it makes me constantly feel like I have a lemon.

Love the bike so far, but along with the water/fuel drain hose being crazy kinked from the dealer, now I have found a stripped screw on the bottom of the throttle lever assembly.

Obviously I am going to bring it to the dealer and complain, but what are they going to do? Are they obligated to fix the problem? Are they going to try to pin it on me? Is this going to be free of charge under warranty? How long do shops normally take to fix stuff? This is pretty much my only way of transportation.

I know that yamaha's are bullet proof and have a whole lot of quirks, but it makes me constantly feel like I have a lemon.

Sound's to me like the assembler caused all of the problem's you've described...it's not the factories fault it's the dealership's fault...tell them to have the shop foreman look the bike over and make sure there is nothing else cross threaded or stripped out... Good Luck!!

yeah best of luck with that! Basically it comes down to how important customer service is to the dealer. Also did you beat them up on price? If you did best luck, wouldn't be surprised if they told you to get lost......

My other bike is a Moto Guzzi California 1100i......if you think you have got a lemon I can assure you that you are not in the same grove as me....You spend the first 10,000 miles putting the Guzzi right and then it is ready forever.......Great bike.

IMG_1645.jpg

This is us in Switzerland.

STB_3432.jpg

This is the "Other " us in France.

Steve

The dealer will take care of you. Or you call yamaha and they will tell the dealer to take care of you. Real simple

I had a similar experience. When I picked up my '09, it was looking like rain was on its way. So I hurried the pre-departure inspection and sped off (only to get drenched on the way home). When I got home, I noticed that the bolt holding one side of the front fender was out about 3/4 of an inch and was stripped beyond repair. As they should, the dealership replaced the screw the next day while I waited. You won't have any problems getting these things taken care of. Again, it was the dealer-assembly at issue, not the manufacturer. Likely the 18 year-old who really really likes motorcycles and is hence qualified to assemble them.

I brought in the bike and talked to a mechanic(but not the head mechanic). He said that in his opinion this would not be under warranty. His reason? "None of our mechanics would make this mistake"
Called yamaha and they said it is out of their hands till the head dealer looks at it, and if he says it was not their fault then no one is going to help me with anything and I will have to get it fixed out of warranty.

Got to love business in this country.

I brought in the bike and talked to a mechanic(but not the head mechanic). He said that in his opinion this would not be under warranty. His reason? "None of our mechanics would make this mistake"
Called yamaha and they said it is out of their hands till the head dealer looks at it, and if he says it was not their fault then no one is going to help me with anything and I will have to get it fixed out of warranty.

Got to love business in this country.

Sorry to hear about this crap. Some people are just scum.

Anyway, see how it plays out and if they fix under warranty, you're good, if not, check around for an independent shop that knows how to fix the stripped screw. My point, is, let's just fix it and move on and hope you never have to go back to these scumbags.

So what do you mean by stripped? are the threads on the hole trashed? or is the screw just stripped? or both?

I recently stripped the allen hole on a bolt on my other bike and had to get a bike shop to drill it out and retap. It is very annoying but they were able to fix it.

I hope it works out.

Dennis

Your problem should fall under the part of your original factory warranty that covers faults in workmanship.

Regardless of who caused the problem (manufacturer or dealer), you're still within your warranty period, and the problem still exists. If your dealer refuses to cover this issue, I would encourage them to speak with their regional Yamaha representative.

The biggest problem with this is, your an honest person there are very few of us left. You would be amazed how many people bring things in and try to warranty when it was their fault a few years ago it was snowmobiles and insurance fraud. example: rear end of sled is totaled. Story buddy rear ended him. Thing is he couldn't produce even a pic of other sled with front end damage. Real story, sled fell out the back of the truck. So basically something that could have been done by you it comes into a prove it situation and if the dealer is in a big enough area then they really don't care if you never come back. I hate to sound so bad but it is true. As far as a screw in the big scheme of things that is like the difference between a hang nail and a broken bone. Its not exactly a very high priority thing. and as far as fault of workmanship the screw isn't bullet proof so it wouldn't fall under that.... Now I do not agree with this but this is a common consensus. I travel all over the US for work and deal with all kinds of people... another story is we had a 1999 Yamaha royal star venture come in. Basically guy bought it in Florida, trailered it to North Carolina. He rode it there then trailered it the rest of the way home to New York. Basically the whole way with the gas on. Got home hit the start button and all it did was click so initial thought on his part battery is low. He tried to pop start it... Brought it in saying battery or starter or some electrical issue... Our mechanic checked all electrical no problem.... then he pulled the little cover off the left side of the motor to check the crank.... wouldn't budge. hmmm ended up being that they guy hydro locked the motor and by pop starting he bent the rod. Yamaha ended up covering the parts. This included top end, crank etc.... You just never know....

The screw will thread into the plastic, but it won't hold any torque.

I guess I have to look at my bike on the underside of the throttle housing to see what you're talking about. Metal screw into plastic threads doesn't sound right -- or it means it requires small amount of torque. I don't know if repairing plastic threads works or you'll have to get a new housing.

Dennis

The dealer took care of me.
they cleaned the tank and painted over the rust(most of it ended up being dirt)

I felt a little dumb a bout the screw. Apparently.... I thought it was a self threading plastic screw. It was instead a finely threaded metal screw.
I was turning it expecting big movements... and instead i didn't notice anything. So we looked over the screw and he ended up just tightening it down more and vaulah! tightened.....:don'tknow: slightly embarrassing, but at least it was proof that I didn't torque the bolt down before hand.

then he told me not to use a cheap oil filter((pureOne) and I was on my way!

Back