tcmalker's vow

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me just say that I am just so sick of my dealership trying to take advantage of me. My first bike, the ex-500, when I brought it in for the 600 miles service: $450. That's for 4 hours (per the manual) at $89/hr + parts/tax, etc. I bit it because what can I do? I have to get it done or the warranty will be void. I am not mechanically inclined either.

So two months later I 'dropped' the ex-500 and didn't feel comfortable riding it anymore. Trade it in the same day for the 2009 FZ6. OTD was $4900 including the trade-in. I got smart this time and have them include the 600 miles service in the contract.

Two weeks into it, my bike wouldn't start. Tried jumping it with a car, but couldn't get the clamps on the small FZ6 battery terminal. So I jumped started it instead. Much easier! Along the way I had to life up the tank...noticed two hoses sticking out but didn't think of it much.

Another two weeks later, 600+ miles on the ODO, I went in for the 600 miles services. They wanted $325. I gave them an IOU and that was that. Later on I start noticing the two hoses on the bottom, they have lines on them. I know these line are supposed to be level with something, but they are not. Looks like the monkeys at dealership didn't even fix them. And today I just notice there was a bend in the left hose just under the tank. I pulled it from the bottom and fixed that, hoped nothing damaged.

A week ago I got into an accident with an SUV and took it in to the dealer for an estimate. They won't even give me a free estimate, saying they have to do a thorough 3 hour ($89/hr) estimate. I didn't care that much b/c the insurance said they were going to pay for it. The end of business day they call me saying estimate is complete ($2800).

I call the insurance and asked them when the adjuster would go check out the bike and they said they won't send anyone out. They got the fax of the estimate from the dealer and they will review that. I asked if I can pick up my bike and got a go ahead.

Went to pick up the bike and the dealership freaked out. They're saying they can't in good conscience let me take the bike because it might not be safe. I laught in their face. They said 'are you refusing the repair the bike?'. I said I want the bike because I WANT TO RIDE. I'm not going to wait 3-4 weeks for the insurance to settle this and then wait for them to order part. Winter is coming up for god sake! They said they'll give me the bike but I have to pay $50/day storage fee. Somehow they put this in the contract saying I agree to pay this fee UNLESS I repaired the damage per estimate. Imagine if I left this longer, a week or two, then decided to get the repair somewhere else. Oh, I also had to pay the 3 hours of estimate.

So I have HAD IT with the dealership. My vow is to perform all the maintenances/repairs myself. I don't care how long it takes. The dealership is not taking no more of my money! Of course I'm going to rely heavily on this forum. Thank you in advance. Oh, and if anybody's in the Chicagoland area and would like to 'help' a fellow rider in need, give me a holler.

Sorry for the ranting.

My vow is to perform all the maintenances/repairs myself. I don't care how long it takes. The dealership is not taking no more of my money! Of course I'm going to rely heavily on this forum.

This sounds like the best option.....and you have all winter to study!

sounds like you really learned the hard way :rolleyes:

sorry you had to go thru all that.

working on a bike is pretty easy compared to all the wrenching I have done on cars for the past umteen years. Essentially you can take the thing apart with a set of hex sockets and a 10mm wrench, LOL. Not trying to trivialize it but you can save a bundle by doing the maintenence yourself.

Take your time and use the service manual as your bible. Your confidence will come up pretty quickly. Let us all know here on the forum if you have questions. you know we will be quick to answer.

Don't be shy to ask for advice on here. What you went through or about to go through, there are members who expereinced the exact samething.

By the way, what insurance company were you dealing with? That's a topic of conversation in itself.

Don't be shy to ask for advice on here. What you went through or about to go through, there are members who expereinced the exact samething.

By the way, what insurance company were you dealing with? That's a topic of conversation in itself.

I don't have a problem with my insurance company (yet). This is my first claim so I don't know what to expect. My problem is with the dealership trying to gouge me every opportunity they can. In this case it might turn out to be good, I'm going to get a check from my insurance company for their outrageusly high estimate. Since I'm going to be doing this myself I might actually save money, just going to require lots of time on my part.

The insurance originally didn't want to issue the check directly to me. They said they have to issue the check to the dealer with both our names on it. I told them how I was dissatify with them and won't do business with them again. Once I informed insurance that I don't have any liens (I have full title) they said ok they will issue me the check. That make sense I guess, if someone has a lien on the bike they would probably want to make sure the money is spent fixing the bike.

Can't wait for the money. I'm still debating what to do with it. If you have not already done so, please vote on 'Advise on what to do with insurance payout'. It's a tough decision.

Good luck with it all. BTW, whats a lien? :confused:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's lein. It's when you finance your purchase of a car or motorcycle or a house. Essentially you are borrowing the money from someone (the bank) and that person has an interest (lien) on that property until you paid it off.
Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can.

Maybe it's lein. It's when you finance your purchase of a car or motorcycle or a house. Essentially you are borrowing the money from someone (the bank) and that person has an interest (lien) on that property until you paid it off.
Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can.
Just a loan. Mortgage or title down under. Sorry, thought it was some American thing :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have HAD IT with the dealership. My vow is to perform all the maintenances/repairs myself. I don't care how long it takes. The dealership is not taking no more of my money! Of course I'm going to rely heavily on this forum. Thank you in advance. Oh, and if anybody's in the Chicagoland area and would like to 'help' a fellow rider in need, give me a holler.

Sorry for the ranting.

Let me guess, Chicago Cycle Center? Most of the Chicago dealerships suck.

You should join chicagolandsportbikes.com to meet people that can give you a hand and/or recommend a better dealer.

It really does sound like your local dealerships sucks! Obviously trying to gouge you for EVERYTHING/ANYTHING they can. (Bet they still have pay toilets too) Sorry for your problems man. Good luck! (There's always a sympathetic ear here - you are among friends)

Last edited:
Wow that seems like a quite the dealership to deal with, i agree with everyone do it your self. you might not think you have the skills but as long as you go through the manual as you are making repairs you should be fine. Obviously if you need parts go online for them, you should be able to do your repairs and have some cash left over for real repairs like a new exhaust or something that you may not have just yet.

Let me guess, Chicago Cycle Center? Most of the Chicago dealerships suck.

You should join chicagolandsportbikes.com to meet people that can give you a hand and/or recommend a better dealer.

Yeah, Chicago Cycle Center, how did you know. You from Chicago originally? I'll check out that website.

Back