Not a Good day

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me say there are allot of things brewing and life has its moments for all kinds of reasons. However today on my drive home it was kicked up yet another notch as traffic was delayed and routed into another lane as a motorcyclist had crashed into a minivan. Is this my load to bear or problem to solve? No not at all. Does it make me think about me and my place in line? Yes, it really does!

Curse me and my details of what I looked for and saw as I gawked, but trust me, you don't want it.

As I've come to know most of you, most are not abusing the power, speed, and ability the bike beneath you can deliver and most are pretty forthright in your intentions. None of us appear to be plotting our last ride "into our final sunset" or are we?

From this I leave you this thought; think about smarter ways to ride. Think about your safety and what you can take responsibility for to reduce the opportunities you leave others to harm you! Make it mission to observe your route and how you can stay out of in harms way but NOT invisible. Most of us can modify our route to reduce the odds of us being a sitting duck.

I can not hide from the fact that I have my own issues that need attention. However I'd much rather go down from my own hand than be taken out by someone else's. From this I'm taking every step I can to not be a statistic from the actions of another. I've changed my commuter route, changed my schedule, and I try to adapt to the ever changing "distracted driver" by being noticed or getting out of harms way ASAP!

So, give it some thought and come up with solutions to keep you safe!

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something as simple as taking a route with less intersections can make a big difference. Enough of these 'little' things can add up and increase safety by quite a margin.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I find getting the balance between

• knowing where traffic snarls occur,
  • when there is a road that attracts left or right turners,
  • roads that narrow etc
  • frequency of trams
  • a couple of sections that traffic moves really well
and the offerings of a couple of roads that I travel less often

• roadwork
  • more school zones
  • adjacent cycle paths/lanes
  • as well as those points above
while the first option can engender complacency, the second has factors I avoid by taking my first option.

I try to maintain a solid awareness, but its true, I have put myself in a situation a few times where I have told myself "that was downright stupid".
Others have put me in a downright stupid situation more often than I want to admit- maybe I need to take ownership of them as well!

Good reminder Randy

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Good post. Lot of bad driver's out there!

I have found that these things have greatly increased my margin of safety:

1. High visibility riding gear (vest and helmet)

2. Running high beams on twisty roads really gets the attention of inattentive drivers who are about to pull out of their rural driveway into the roadway and oncoming cars who are on the yellow line notice you coming much sooner.

3. Covering the front brake with 1-2 fingers when going around a blind curve. The ability to apply the brakes quickly but smoothly to prevent a wheel lock-up is key. Covering the front brake with just 1-2 fingers allows you to apply the brakes more gradually even in a panic braking situation.

4. Extra bright 2nd and 3rd LED brake lights. These really catch the attention of those texting motorists coming up behind you! Alternately turn on your hazard lights if you are stopped at a red light on a high speed road until you see the traffic behind you stopping.

Ride safe!

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
All the tips given are good advice, especially for a new rider like myself.
I, myself think of traffic conditions, rush hour, what kind of turns I have to initiate, etc before I head out. I haven't gone far but if it's rush hour time I tend not to ride :D

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good Post Randy, As you know I have done some things to help me safely ride around town. I have yellow and white headlights that modulate plus I have LED turn signals and a rear tail light that has the signals incorporated in them. I also have the extra modulating brake lights which are super bright. That's the one thing I really worry about is someone rear ending me. With everyone on the phone these days you never know if they are paying attention to the road or there stupid phone. I sure find the modulating headlight with the two color bulbs had made drivers see me way better. They actually pull over some times thinking i'm a cop or safety vehicle. LOL.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Good Post Randy, As you know I have done some things to help me safely ride around town. I have yellow and white headlights that modulate plus I have LED turn signals and a rear tail light that has the signals incorporated in them. I also have the extra modulating brake lights which are super bright. That's the one thing I really worry about is someone rear ending me. With everyone on the phone these days you never know if they are paying attention to the road or there stupid phone. I sure find the modulating headlight with the two color bulbs had made drivers see me way better. They actually pull over some times thinking i'm a cop or safety vehicle. LOL.

Elaborate on those brake lights? Pictures? :eyebrow:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the one thing I really worry about is someone rear ending me.

Statistically, only 3% of motorcycle crashes account for rear end collisions. Not to say that it'll never happen, but it's a heck of a lot more important to worry what's in front of us, as 77% of moto crashes are between riders 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock (the rest being from sides).

Check mirrors often to have a good idea of what's going on around you.. especially approaching intersections. Flash brake light when slowing down (even if you're just engine-braking). Always have escape path planned, so if you do spot someone approaching too quickly from the back, you can move out of the way quickly.

All easier said than done, but we must all do this to to stack the odds in our favor as much as we can.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No such thing as an ordinary ride. Once you become complacent because it has become so normal, you end up letting your guard down.

Let devices modulate your lights for you, whether it's for your headlights or brake lights. I have the Hyper Lights installed on my bike, going on seven years now.

MxGolf's yellow headlight really stands out, add the headlight modulator it will be impossible for him to be missed.

Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I've got for brake lights. Can't have too many as far as I'm concerned. Side cases also blink with turn signals. Modulator on the center.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like no matter what you wear (hi-vis colors etc.) or what blinks/flashes (headlight/taillight modulators), it doesn't matter when you're contending with smartphones.

Young, middle aged and old, people are in love with their smartphones. And young folks are OBSESSED with them. Why people have a need to broadcast the most inane details of their lives and be "plugged in" 100% of their waking hours is beyond me.

So having said all of that, I motor around with my front brake covered at all times (Eric disagrees with my approach I know :) ) and I assume that no one sees me. This combination has worked well so far.

I have also reduced the amount of commuting that I am willing to do on the bike, relative to the number of "distracted driver" incidents that I witness daily during my commute.

The other thing that went into that calculus is that here in California where we're legally allowed to lane share (aka "split lanes") and ride in the carpool/HOV lane (which is allowed in all U.S. states I believe), people have entirely stopped observing the law which states that you aren't allowed to cross a double yellow line (which we use here on most highways to control where/when vehicles may enter and exit the HOV lanes). I see cars hop in and out of the carpool lane over the double yellow EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive on the freeway - rush hour or not, heavy traffic or light, EVERY DAY I witness people doing this. Extrapolating from there, it must be that this law is seldom if ever enforced any more ... and we all know how little people look over their shoulders or use their mirrors when changing lanes.

I was hit once on my way home one evening, but managed to "merge" with the car as it illegally crossed over the double yellow and saved it from a crash. The car hit my left leg and arm, miraculously my handlebar was just in front of the A-frame and thus the car didn't hit the left grip. It was terrifying and I never told my wife/family as you may well imagine. :eek:

Anyway I commute less on the bike, cover the front brake at all times, and assume that I am invisible to all drivers and behave accordingly. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like no matter what you wear (hi-vis colors etc.) or what blinks/flashes (headlight/taillight modulators), it doesn't matter when you're contending with smartphones.

Agree 100%. Definitely worth doing everything in our power to be as visible as possible, but no matter what we wear and how we wire up our bikes, we can never count on always being seen by everyone.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I motor around with my front brake covered at all times (Eric disagrees with my approach I know :) ) and I assume that no one sees me. This combination has worked well so far.

Gotta agree 100% with you, as I do the same, so it must be right, eh? Blah

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So having said all of that, I motor around with my front brake covered at all times (Eric disagrees with my approach I know :) ) and I assume that no one sees me. This combination has worked well so far.

Missed this.. I don't disagree with this at all. If you're comfortable riding like that, you're absolutely decreasing your reaction time (1 of the 3 critical parts of total stopping distance: perception, reaction, braking).

If you can shave 1/2 of your reaction time... going 60 miles per hour.. your stop can be shorter by ~45 feet.

We don't teach this in MSF because we don't want people grabbing the brake while they're turning. If you know better, by all means cover the brake :thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right on Erci, sorry bout that! Saw two more cars go in/out of the carpool lane over the double yellow today on the way home tonight. :rolleyes:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

Young, middle aged and old, people are in love with their smartphones. And young folks are OBSESSED with them. Why people have a need to broadcast the most inane details of their lives and be "plugged in" 100% of their waking hours is beyond me.

I have also reduced the amount of commuting that I am willing to do on the bike, relative to the number of "distracted driver" incidents that I witness daily during my commute.

The other thing that went into that calculus is that here in California where we're legally allowed to lane share (aka "split lanes") and ride in the carpool/HOV lane (which is allowed in all U.S. states I believe), people have entirely stopped observing the law which states that you aren't allowed to cross a double yellow line (which we use here on most highways to control where/when vehicles may enter and exit the HOV lanes). I see cars hop in and out of the carpool lane over the double yellow EVERY SINGLE TIME I drive on the freeway - rush hour or not, heavy traffic or light, EVERY DAY I witness people doing this. Extrapolating from there, it must be that this law is seldom if ever enforced any more ... and we all know how little people look over their shoulders or use their mirrors when changing lanes.

I was hit once on my way home one evening, but managed to "merge" with the car as it illegally crossed over the double yellow and saved it from a crash. The car hit my left leg and arm, miraculously my handlebar was just in front of the A-frame and thus the car didn't hit the left grip. It was terrifying and I never told my wife/family as you may well imagine. :eek:

Anyway I commute less on the bike, cover the front brake at all times, and assume that I am invisible to all drivers and behave accordingly. :thumbup:

None of your post surprised me once I realize you lived in Los Angeles!

I'd definitely not commute there at all!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
My fear is being mauled down at a stop light from someone not paying attention. Thank god there is a top notch ambulance service in my little city.

Here's a story from a biker with one leg.

Riding down in Florida I stopped at a stop sign, out of no where a group of young girls in a mustang convertable flat runs me over. As I lay underneath the car with the exhaust system frying my body, I could hear the girls crying about how they just killed someone. And that's how I only have 1 leg.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
My fear is being mauled down at a stop light from someone not paying attention. Thank god there is a top notch ambulance service in my little city.

Here's a story from a biker with one leg.

Riding down in Florida I stopped at a stop sign, out of no where a group of young girls in a mustang convertable flat runs me over. As I lay underneath the car with the exhaust system frying my body, I could hear the girls crying about how they just killed someone. And that's how I only have 1 leg.

Holy ****.:eek:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
The avoidance manoeuvres on the new British test saved my ass again last night. Some dozy little girl mouthing the word "sorry" at me from behind the wheel of her BMW with her pink iPhone still stuck to her ear as I went round the front of her car.

It's just something we as riders have to live with now.

It's not all bleak though: filtering down the middle of some traffic tonight, a police car nudged over to make me some space, I waved as I went past. The next car nearly took me off closing the proverbial door on me, so the copper got out and "had a little chat" with them. It put a little smile on my face!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk