Nolan N90 Helmet Review

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still not sure of the value of the flip up helmet. Especially in this review, you see the phrase "for a flip-up" a lot. And they seem to be on the type of things I find very important. The only trade off I can see is that you can lift it up at exceptionally long lights, or while filling up the tank otherwise? It seems to me that better ventilation and quieter all the time would both be more important than those two. So.. Why?

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just pre-ordered one from Revzilla. Lot's of nice features for $269 USD. They aren't available in the US quite yet. Should be in September.

Last edited:

sjowol

Reaction score
Visit site
SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME is a great site for helmet reviews.
(quote from the socal streetbikers website):
The British SHARPS testing service (think DOT/SNELL but better) has a new and improved website out where you can look at helmets and see how they did in their impact tests. 5 stars is best. They also show in a color patch how they did in impacts to different parts of the head.
But, the most important thing SHARPS tests that no body else tests is the chin bar on Flip Up helmets and they give percentages on how many times the chin shield stayed locked into place during an impact. 100% is best. 40% not so good. You would be surprised how many get less than 100%. The Shoei Multi tech which people say is the best because its a Shoei only kept its chin bar shield in place 83% of the time.
seems like all nolan's on the site got a 100% :)

Dennis

Reaction score
Visit site
yah its looks like an great helmet!;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my N101, this also has the "microlock" chin strap which they critisise in this review, I find it's really handy especially in the spring or autumn when it varies if I wear my neck roll (over my chin) then it's really easy to adjust to the right setting :thumbup:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stopped by the Nolan booth at the Indy race, hoping to see the N90. I chatted with the Italian Nolan rep, she was really cool.

She had no N90's to show off yet since they had not shipped any stateside yet. I told her I pre-ordered the helmet and of course she wanted to know where I heard about it and where I bought it. She said Web Bike World reviewers are hard to please with their flip-up reviews and so Nolan was happy to see a good review for the N90. :thumbup:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's here! I'll give it the first run tomorrow. It's comfortable and fits my head well, so it looks like the gamble paid off.

I have a few rough pics...not the best.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the chance to ride with this helmet the past few days and I'm pleased to say that it's great! The review on web bike world hits it dead on. But here's what I think as well:

- Quiet: With the chin curtain attached, the helmet is very comfortable with regards to wind noise. I tried removing the curtain and the increase in noise is minimal. Air flows around the helmet smoothly and the ventilation system keeps the head cool without any whistling or noise from the vents.

- Lightweight: I'm coming from a Joe Rocket Carbon Fiber helmet and the Nolan is less bulky and I find I can turn my head easily at highway speeds.

- Pinlock: I've never had a chance to use one of these before, but it works really well for keeping the visor fog free! We've had some humid mornings here and the shield stayed clear. Very nifty system.

- Better peripheral vision than my previous helmet. I'm still getting used to the wider field of vision and welcome it.

- Micro adjustable chin strap system: I'm getting used to it. At first it was a little odd coming from a d-ring system. But I'm finding it's very quick to release which is nice. I'm still on the fence about it.

- Internal sun visor: This is one of my favorite features. Being able to shield the sun with the flip of a switch is really cool.

- Price: $269 from Revzilla which is very reasonable for what you get.

Attached is a pic of me riding with it last weekend. I don't have the internal visor active at this point.

If you are looking for a flip-up helmet, I would strongly consider this one. Very well made, quiet and comfortable with lots of nice features!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the chance to ride with this helmet the past few days and I'm pleased to say that it's great! The review on web bike world hits it dead on. But here's what I think as well:

- Quiet: With the chin curtain attached, the helmet is very comfortable with regards to wind noise. I tried removing the curtain and the increase in noise is minimal. Air flows around the helmet smoothly and the ventilation system keeps the head cool without any whistling or noise from the vents.

- Lightweight: I'm coming from a Joe Rocket Carbon Fiber helmet and the Nolan is less bulky and I find I can turn my head easily at highway speeds.

- Pinlock: I've never had a chance to use one of these before, but it works really well for keeping the visor fog free! We've had some humid mornings here and the shield stayed clear. Very nifty system.

- Better peripheral vision than my previous helmet. I'm still getting used to the wider field of vision and welcome it.

- Micro adjustable chin strap system: I'm getting used to it. At first it was a little odd coming from a d-ring system. But I'm finding it's very quick to release which is nice. I'm still on the fence about it.

- Internal sun visor: This is one of my favorite features. Being able to shield the sun with the flip of a switch is really cool.

- Price: $269 from Revzilla which is very reasonable for what you get.

Attached is a pic of me riding with it last weekend. I don't have the internal visor active at this point.

If you are looking for a flip-up helmet, I would strongly consider this one. Very well made, quiet and comfortable with lots of nice features!

Bryan, hows this helmet holding up? I'm presently looking for a new flip up helmet and I was wondering how you're finding it, after using it for a while. cheers

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I used it, it was great! Unfortunately it took a really hard tumble onto concrete, so I no longer use it, since the shell might be compromised. I could send it to Nolan to have them check it, but I got a Shoei Qwest instead :)

Still, the quality of the helmet was really good.