No FZ8 for the US this year

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me if this is old news or been discussed already but I was at the local Yamaha dealer today picking up an FZ6R for a friend who hasnt done his safty course yet and was talking with one of the owners about the FZ8 and he was saying the Yamaha rep he deals with said no 2010 FZ8 for the US its only being sold in Europe with the potential of a limited run in the US is sales pan out ok...

Just thought I would pass this along for those who are awaiting the arrival of the FZ8... could be rumor but some news is better than none.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats weird that US not getting them this year.

According to reports we are supposed to get them here in Australia around August.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe thats what they meant by no 2010 run, do motorcycles follow the same model year as cars where end of summer the next years model come out?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe thats what they meant by no 2010 run, do motorcycles follow the same model year as cars where end of summer the next years model come out?
I think so. Not surprised as it seems to be a trend not to bring some new models into the US this year due to the soft economy. The 2010 Aprilla Shiver looks cool but isn't coming over this year either.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always thought that it was strange that America never got the FZ6N, or FZ1N...

I also find it strange that many models, such as the FZ8, or Aprillia shiver, as stated above, are not available in a market as big as the USA.

It's especially interesting, that in the caes of both the above mentioned bikes, we will, or do get them in Australia this year.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to Squidworld, Wolfman. If it doesn't have a full fairing and oversized Monster decals all over it, the wannabe posers over here don't want it. Pisses me off to no end!

Of course, those same idiots that get to decide what bikes us serious riders get (by always buying the SS bikes and not the naked, twisty-killers, thus causing the bike companies to NOT bring the best bikes here), wouldn't know what to do if they weren't going fast in a straight line. You know the type, as I'm sure they're everywhere...tank top, tennis shoes, maybe even shorts? Sometimes, as seems to have become an epidemic in my particular area (because our brilliant lawmakers repealed the helmet law a few years ago) the ride around with their helmets strapped to the rear side of the bike.

F-ing squids. Sorry...just some residual anger from never getting the true FZ6N over here! Carry on...lol.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to Squidworld, Wolfman. If it doesn't have a full fairing and oversized Monster decals all over it, the wannabe posers over here don't want it. Pisses me off to no end!

Of course, those same idiots that get to decide what bikes us serious riders get (by always buying the SS bikes and not the naked, twisty-killers, thus causing the bike companies to NOT bring the best bikes here), wouldn't know what to do if they weren't going fast in a straight line. You know the type, as I'm sure they're everywhere...tank top, tennis shoes, maybe even shorts? Sometimes, as seems to have become an epidemic in my particular area (because our brilliant lawmakers repealed the helmet law a few years ago) the ride around with their helmets strapped to the rear side of the bike.

F-ing squids. Sorry...just some residual anger from never getting the true FZ6N over here! Carry on...lol.

We have the same wankers here in OZ, but they at least have to wear helmets here...

Funny thing is, most serious riders could not care less about how fast they go in a straight line. Serious riders, look for corners, and delight in getting around them as best they can, honing their skills each time they go out to ride...with the best tyres, decent gear, consideration for other road users, and probably doing so without pulling one single wheelie, or stoppy!

I am sorry to say this, so please dont take offence any Americans, but it's not hard to see why you have the state of play that exists in America re product range diversity, because, in large, it seems from an outsiders POV that the main proportion of the population believes that Harley's, and, or choppers are the only bikes that exist, and then there is the Extreme Sports culture...that breeds the Squids..."it's cool to be a tool" mentality!

Correct me if i am wrong, i probably am a bit off target, but that's how it appears to me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Squids :squid: everywhere.

Mike saw 4 motorcycle cops on Great Northern Highway through the week - NO GLOVES!

Dont get me started on the Motorcycle police leading by example..short sleeve shirts, horse riding pants!!!!

But back to the point, i would be well peeved if i couldnt get an FZ8 in the States this year...makes no sense to me!

:confused:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But focussing on the bike, what ive read so far & pics ive seen, FZ8 rocks.

Sure im a little pissed off that the fantastic little bike that has brought us here is discontinued, but honestly the XJ6 is a ripper bike (has better handling than the FZ6 and gearbox), and hence has made the FZ6 redundant/no longer enconomically viable in its own brand.

Would I buy the 8? Hard to answer considering what I already own and I do have desires on the next bike being a little mental. (Like an FZ1, Speed Triple or a Streetfighter)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
But focussing on the bike, what ive read so far & pics ive seen, FZ8 rocks.

Sure im a little pissed off that the fantastic little bike that has brought us here is discontinued, but honestly the XJ6 is a ripper bike (has better handling than the FZ6 and gearbox), and hence has made the FZ6 redundant/no longer enconomically viable in its own brand.

Would I buy the 8? Hard to answer considering what I already own and I do have desires on the next bike being a little mental. (Like an FZ1, Speed Triple or a Streetfighter)

Here in the states, we don't get the XJ6, so there was no redundancy. Problem in the states is that there is very little market for the naked bike segment. As stated, the bulk of riders fall into two categories: 1) Harley/Chopper & 2) Full Faired Sport bikes.

If you like the Speed Triple, seriously try the little brother the Street Triple as well. I have an R and it's an amazing bike. Plenty of power, great handling, anchor-like brakes, and devilishly good looking.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the states, we don't get the XJ6, so there was no redundancy. Problem in the states is that there is very little market for the naked bike segment. As stated, the bulk of riders fall into two categories: 1) Harley/Chopper & 2) Full Faired Sport bikes.

If you like the Speed Triple, seriously try the little brother the Street Triple as well. I have an R and it's an amazing bike. Plenty of power, great handling, anchor-like brakes, and devilishly good looking.

Thats one of the point the guy was telling me in the shop yesterday, Yamaha isnt sure that a naked will market well and he brought up the point that 800 and 1000 are real close so then it comes down to 200cc people will go big, he was saying he has kids coming in daily saying they need an R1... our market revolves around :squid: who think they need a liter bike right away.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if these manufactures would let us buy direct from the factory, we could have alot of great bikes here in the usa... but I could only imagine how much insurence would be for direct-bought bikes... let alone part service...

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
We have the same wankers here in OZ, but they at least have to wear helmets here...

Funny thing is, most serious riders could not care less about how fast they go in a straight line. Serious riders, look for corners, and delight in getting around them as best they can, honing their skills each time they go out to ride...with the best tyres, decent gear, consideration for other road users, and probably doing so without pulling one single wheelie, or stoppy!

I am sorry to say this, so please dont take offence any Americans, but it's not hard to see why you have the state of play that exists in America re product range diversity, because, in large, it seems from an outsiders POV that the main proportion of the population believes that Harley's, and, or choppers are the only bikes that exist, and then there is the Extreme Sports culture...that breeds the Squids..."it's cool to be a tool" mentality!

Correct me if i am wrong, i probably am a bit off target, but that's how it appears to me.

The American vehicle market is totally biased to what the stupid majority wants. Wagons and hatchbacks are loved in the rest of the world, but here they're for nerds or moms. You're only cool if you've got a full sized pickup, SUV, or a muscle car. The only thing allowed to have two doors and a hatch is a Corvette. All these people rolling around in Expeditions, Suburbans, F150's, Escalades, Ram HD's are wasting so much gas just to cart around their single lazy fat ass! And women are obsessed with these vehicles because "I like to see over traffic" or "I feel safer" well did you ever consider what will happen to the motorcyclist that you're inevitably going to run over bc you don't have a clue how to drive???

The same goes for bikes. HD or crotch rocket are the only acceptable choices. Americans are so self conscious of their image we miss out on all the good stuff.

This is also a reason our economy sucks, and why it's no surprise the FZ8 isn't coming here this year and I bet it won't next year either. The Japanese give Americans what they want, not what they should have. Have you noticed how small of a selection there is here from Honda and Yamaha for sport bikes? R1, R6, FZ6R (bc the FZ6 wasn't cool enough apparently) or CBR1000RR and CBR600RR. That's it! At least Kawi and Suzi are still offering some variety.

The Europeans say screw the Americans they don't need our bikes or our cars and I can't blame them. I love my FZ6, and I like how it stands out from the crowd, but I want a Ducati Monster 1100. Now that's style!

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the point being missed about the American market is that they are not used for simple transportation as they are in most of the world. They are "recreational vehicles" in 9 of 10 cases and utility/versatility/practicality are not as important as style.

The bottom line is that there is not a great demand for motorcycles of any type in the United States. It costs a lot to get a bike certified by the EPA and the DOT, and without adequate profit potential the manufacturers won't waste the money on a long shot.

Just look at all of the leftover bikes sitting on showroom floors right now, this is all of the proof you need that it is a luxury item as opposed to a necessity.

Just my opinion..

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the point being missed about the American market is that they are not used for simple transportation as they are in most of the world. They are "recreational vehicles" in 9 of 10 cases and utility/versatility/practicality are not as important as style.

The bottom line is that there is not a great demand for motorcycles of any type in the United States. It costs a lot to get a bike certified by the EPA and the DOT, and without adequate profit potential the manufacturers won't waste the money on a long shot.

Just look at all of the leftover bikes sitting on showroom floors right now, this is all of the proof you need that it is a luxury item as opposed to a necessity.

Just my opinion..

Proves my point even further. Americans can't be bothered to buy something enjoyable for fuel efficiency, they have to suffer with a Prius to think they're saving fuel. It has to be safe and do everything for them rather then they actually having to learn a skill.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site

you nailed it. Hence the high insurance rates in our land. I get a lot of lookers when parking the fz in public. Most actually believe i have taken off the "full factory race fairings" to show off the downpipes! Oh jezuz.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
nextfriday, I'm right there with ya. And I've noticed something completely bass-akwards since doing my naked conversion...

Those same squidly posers now notice, look at, and ask about my FZ6 more. Seriously...it's like before, when I had the half-faring, I was just some dude on some random bike that WASN'T as cool as their CBR1000RR or whatever the squid's bike of choice is at the moment. But now, they want to know what it is, what headlight I have on it, and always comment on how cool it looks. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, WTF is wrong with you guys??? Because of you douches we never get the awesome naked bikes that we so lust after, but now that you're actually presented with one, you're fawning like a 12-year-old girl! :eek:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nextfriday, I'm right there with ya. And I've noticed something completely bass-akwards since doing my naked conversion...

Those same squidly posers now notice, look at, and ask about my FZ6 more. Seriously...it's like before, when I had the half-faring, I was just some dude on some random bike that WASN'T as cool as their CBR1000RR or whatever the squid's bike of choice is at the moment. But now, they want to know what it is, what headlight I have on it, and always comment on how cool it looks. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, WTF is wrong with you guys??? Because of you douches we never get the awesome naked bikes that we so lust after, but now that you're actually presented with one, you're fawning like a 12-year-old girl! :eek:

LMAO! I just love the "cool crowd"! They are the people that are super impressed with anything, as long as they have validation that it is cool from their peers!

I was watching an old episode of Top Gear the other night, and they were doing a story on a Pick up from the USA, which was the biggest selling car in the World at the moment, and it is only sold in the USA!

Funny thing was, Jeremy Clarkson was going on about how the Pick Up handled apallingly, and just was awful around corners...surely the biggest selling car in the world should handle, but obviously, handling is not a consideration considered important enough to stop most from buying one in America!

I think this little story says a lot about the thinking of the "buying market" in the USA.

:eek:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
LMAO! I just love the "cool crowd"! They are the people that are super impressed with anything, as long as they have validation that it is cool from their peers!

I was watching an old episode of Top Gear the other night, and they were doing a story on a Pick up from the USA, which was the biggest selling car in the World at the moment, and it is only sold in the USA!

Funny thing was, Jeremy Clarkson was going on about how the Pick Up handled apallingly, and just was awful around corners...surely the biggest selling car in the world should handle, but obviously, handling is not a consideration considered important enough to stop most from buying one in America!

I think this little story says a lot about the thinking of the "buying market" in the USA.

:eek:

It really says a lot more about the buying power of the lowest common denominator in the USA.....

The Specific truck in that epsisode was a Ford Lightning; a limited edition F-150 ( 500 lb payload) truck, with a supercharged engine.... and the unit they were reviewing was a (by appearance) a higher mileage unit. If I had to guess, it came to England with a service member.

The design has been revisited since that chassis, and it's been tweaked further.

Still, they handle like chit. :spank:

Considering that a poorly selling bike in America is going to sell some thousands of units, and a 'hot' bike will sell 30,000 units or more..... the economy of scale dwarfs anything else. A moderately sucessful bike from Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Yamaha will sell more units than all of KTM worldwide, in the US alone.

If a bike doesn't sell, the costs involved in making it legal to sell here is divided across a much smaller pool...... and the importer must maintain support for that unit for 7 years after it no longer sells the model in the market........ small manufacturers have to figure that into the cost of every unit they MIGHT be able to sell.

This makes it pretty clear why Buell and H-D are still going to have a relationship for quite a while after they split....... lots of legal loose ends, and mandatory inventory, service, warranty stuff.

Think of it in terms of how many dealerships there are in the US alone.... how many 'qualified' mechanics do the authorized dealers have to have on hand? How much does it cost to send someone from every dealership to school on whatever is 'new' on each new model?