Ninja1000 or keep fz6?

Rolltider11

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently ride an 05 fz6. I really love the bike, especially with all the mods to it. However, I have a friend that has mentioned buying my bike and I have found a 12 ninja 1000 I really like. Does anyone here have any experience with the ninja that help guide me? I love the fz6 but really wish it had more power without having to wring it out you know.

I had a Ninja 650R as my first bike. Great bike w/more torque down low, and a bit more forgiving with the clutch and throttle inputs. The FZ6 screams above 8k, however, and it's off to the races. I sold it for the FZ6 as I really wanted the half-naked look of the FZ6 and I liked the power curve of the Yamaha much better. Kawis are pretty good bikes, however, and I doubt any liter bike will leave you wanting for power. That said, I rode an FZ1 and didn't love it. With only a year of experience under my belt, I found the additional power to be more than I really wanted to handle. Liter bikes are thirsty too!

Try dropping a tooth in the front sprocket on your FZ6 and then evaluate whether you need more low end torque.

Ninja 1000 is a great bike. I demo rode one at AZ Bike Week this year. I had a blast on it, even unintentional power wheelie in first gear that scared the crap out of me because the Ninja has better low end than the Fz1 and my Fz1 won't pull the front wheel up like that. I don't know how the top end compares because we didn't get up over 50 mph on the demo ride.

The only thing that I can't stand is the exhaust position. I have a size 14 shoe and I could not tuck my heels back in when on the balls of my feet because of where they put that stupid exhaust on each side. Also the Fz1 seat is not comfortable but I thought the Ninja 1000 was worse. Mainly the ergonomics on the ninja didn't feel as good as the Fz1 for me.

With only a year of experience under my belt, I found the additional power to be more than I really wanted to handle. Liter bikes are thirsty too!

I found the power of stepping up to the liter bike just what I wanted after 2 weeks on the Fz6. And yes it is thirsty. I hated dropping from 45 mpg down to 30 mpg on the Fz1

My son has an 09 FZ6 and I have a 12 Ninja 1K.

I enjoy riding both but I really like the low end power of the Ninja as compared to the FZ that needs to be wound out. The FZ handles better and is easier to flick from side to side but I hear there are things you can do to the Ninja to help with the heavy feel.
I don't like the seat on the Ninja and the FZ is a little better so I have a Baldwin on order.
The riding position on the FZ is a bit more upright but I'm 55 and find no problem with the N1K's position at all.

Gas mileage is not as good as I get between 35 and 39 regularly and I think the FZ gets around 45 mpg if that matters to you.

On the other hand I wish I would have known they were upgrading the Ninja for 2014 as I probably would have waited because they fixed some of the nit picks I have with the bike. Although you can get 2012's pretty cheap right now.

Thanks for the responses. The exhaust comment was appreciated because I wear 13 to 14 boots myself. Well, the main reason I was going to change to N1000 is a great deal I found on a 2012 by a private seller, but when I called him to tell him I was on my way another guy was there buying it so I missed out. So, then I get on my fz6 and ride about 150 miles. The bike really is good. I already have a top selliere seat, scorpion exhaust etc. so I may just keep it awhile.

If you love the FZ6 but just want more power, keep an eye out for an FZ1. It does everything the 6 does but faster & smoother ;)

Something I noticed about the FZ6 is that the pointy little "wings" at the sides of the fairing keep the wind off my hands. When Dh (not on an FZ6) and I go riding in cold weather, my hands stay warmer way longer than his do (and he's a pretty warm fellow in general).

If you love the FZ6 but just want more power, keep an eye out for an FZ1. It does everything the 6 does but faster & smoother ;)

Trust the wisdom in this. Although I would say that the smooth factor is only in relation to the Fz6 compared to Fz1. However the Ninja1000 was a smoother ride than the Fz1 but by being smoother and without the screaming top end the Ninja 1000 is a little more sedated.

Check out the Speed Triple. Tons of torque and power, similar upright riding position. You'll rarely take it past 5-6k rpm, when you do though have fun keeping the front tire down.

I have the same conundrum :/
since buying a R1 I find my FZ to be seriously lacking in power, I just love the torque of the liter bike, if only they made the FZ chassis with the 1000 engine...:BLAA::ban:

I have the same conundrum :/
since buying a R1 I find my FZ to be seriously lacking in power, I just love the torque of the liter bike, if only they made the FZ chassis with the 1000 engine...:BLAA::ban:

If you love torque, then go for Fz-09. High torque, not as high hp which is unnecessary on the street.

The '14 Ninja 1000 with the improvements is interesting but still glad I didn't go that way. I like going up and down thru the gears and the Ninja first goes to something around 90 so won't be winding out thru the gears on my way to work. Interesting to see the comment about how it handles compared to the FZ6. Loved my FZ6 and wanted something like it. FZ8 was too big and the suspension too wimpy. The FZ9 would have certainly received a look. Bought a CBR600RR and added a sport touring windscreen and Heli bars. More aggressive than the FZ6, brakes and suspension are better and it has more midrange. Love the light weight 410 pounds ready to ride and very flickable. Can be VERY fast but still can have fun playing on the streets w/o going 2 times the speed limit. Wish it had a little more wind protection but guess can't have everything. BTW i'm getting too close to 60 for comfort, took 6 weeks off this year for heart surgery and still managed to put over 6,000 miles on the CBR since December 20th including riding from Sarasota to Birmingham in one day (600 Miles).

Birmingham huh? Thats where I am, I guess my name gives state away. Anyway, for now Im going to keep my fz6, I found my friend another bike to ride. Its a good bike but I will probably be looking again next year.

If you love torque, then go for Fz-09. High torque, not as high hp which is unnecessary on the street.

This will be my FZ6 replacement once they are 2 years old on the used market and I can snag one up for $4,500.

The FZ-09 is going to be hard to beat by anyone in that price range. I just wish they would post real world fuel economy figures. If it can still get mid 40's when ridden as a commuter I'm all over it!

Back