New Toy!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are two main reasons for the switch: 1: The GEN II FZ1 never really fit the bill for me. 2: The FZ-09 is much more "My Style" of bike.

I do not have enough riding time under my belt to give a 100% accurate comparison; But at first blush, the FZ-09 has quite a bit more usable power. For my riding style (and riding locations), I never took full advantage of the power of an inline-4. As most can probably attest, riding at 10,000-12,000 RPM is just not feasible on the street (most of the time).

The other most notable difference is the weight. The bike feels more like the WR250X than I was expecting. So light!

It's a no-brainer! 09 is nearly 100 pounds lighter than FZ1. If I wanted a bike to be all about back roads fun, 09 would be in my garage right now! It probably gets better fuel eco than FZ1 too.

I use my FZ1 like a mini version of FJR (full luggage, plenty of boring hwy miles, commuting in cold temps.. etc), so it's a keeper. It *can* still be fun on spirited rides on country roads, but I'd rather be on something lighter with shorter wheelbase for that.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I photochopped the fender out a little while ago. I dig the look of this thing a lot!

s9lf.jpg

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very happy for you! Hooligan bike for sure!

Can't wait to see the aftermarket exhaust options for that!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome in the select club Mate! I got the same one. The red look good on pictures but I don't dig the stripe on top of the tank...

I got the exhaust and tuner sort out too... just so you know! LOL The stock map is already pretty solid... don't need much more to make it right. Here's a pic of the FE. I cut mine and weld it back together so I can keep the original seat latch cover. Proton flush mount front and rear complete the package. Here a short video for your long winter...

FZ-09 / MT-09 Marthy Exhaust under real life tuning - YouTube

EDIT: Just keep an eye on your chain play. Specs are 5-15mm! Mine was fine brand new then end up at 30mm at 1400 miles, I was like WTF?? So I put it back to 10mm and it got very noisy! I put it back to 25mm and now it sound just fine. I rather change sprocket and chain then having to change output shaft bearings... I don't claim that 25mm is better than what Yamaha claim to be the right specs but since it's a new bike and it won't be the first time a manufacturer make mistake... I rather put the chance on my side. Up to you from there... just keep an eye on it. The rest of the bike seems perfect so far.

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome in the select club Mate! I got the same one. The red look good on pictures but I don't dig the stripe on top of the tank...

I got the exhaust and tuner sort out too... just so you know! LOL The stock map is already pretty solid... don't need much more to make it right. Here's a pic of the FE. I cut mine and weld it back together so I can keep the original seat latch cover. Proton flush mount front and rear complete the package. Here a short video for your long winter...

FZ-09 / MT-09 Marthy Exhaust under real life tuning - YouTube

EDIT: Just keep an eye on your chain play. Specs are 5-15mm! Mine was fine brand new then end up at 30mm at 1400 miles, I was like WTF?? So I put it back to 10mm and it got very noisy! I put it back to 25mm and now it sound just fine. I rather change sprocket and chain then having to change output shaft bearings... I don't claim that 25mm is better than what Yamaha claim to be the right specs but since it's a new bike and it won't be the first time a manufacturer make mistake... I rather put the chance on my side. Up to you from there... just keep an eye on it. The rest of the bike seems perfect so far.

I've been following your exhaust threads since day 1! Not a big aftermarket exhaust guy myself but I love the work that you are doing.

I will definitly keep an eye on the chain slack; I am pretty diligent but its great to know what others are experiencing

FazrDan

Reaction score
Visit site
So I know I'll sound like a wuss here but....I love the look of those bikes but what about the wind? My FZ6 has the Puig screen which is taller than stock and I still feel like I catch allot of wind and bugs.

How are you not blown away and covered with bugs with no fairing or wind screen at all?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
NIIIICE BIKE!

I'm still deeply in lust over my FZ6, but I see the appeal of the 9.

Hope you enjoy the extra grunt power. I'd get to use more of my HP if the on-ramps around here would just be a bit longer.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
That's going to be my next bike, I love the look of it. I would like a fairing though.

Nelly:thumbup:

So I know I'll sound like a wuss here but....I love the look of those bikes but what about the wind? My FZ6 has the Puig screen which is taller than stock and I still feel like I catch allot of wind and bugs.

How are you not blown away and covered with bugs with no fairing or wind screen at all?

That's my concern and one of the main reasons I bought the FZ6 - having the fairing. It really keeps the wind off my chest at 110kmh in -5deg C weather. Not sure if I could go back to a naked......

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not a wuss at all; I think everyone has their own opinions about the cowl and windscreen. I have always enjoyed the naked set-up much more than faired; even for short range touring. I never really noticed and extra fatigue from wind blast (Keep in mind that I rarely hit the highway). The FZ-09 is the bike I wish I had 5 years ago when I converted the FZ6. Pretty sure Yamaha borrowed some styling cues from me...I mean, look at the wheels. Coincidence ;)

NIIIICE BIKE!

I'm still deeply in lust over my FZ6, but I see the appeal of the 9.

Hope you enjoy the extra grunt power. I'd get to use more of my HP if the on-ramps around here would just be a bit longer.

The FZ6 will always be my first love as well. It is easy to get over her though once you give the throttle a little twist on this bike!

Congrats, I want those blue wheels on my blue fz6!!

You can have them my firend! These will be black before spring I can assure you of that.

Side note on wheels just in case anyone was thiking of swapping someday: the axles on this are minuscule compared to that of the FZ6. I will get some hard measurements once I start tearing this thing apart this winter.

She is a beauty. More pics! :thumbup:

More pics for sure this weekend. The more I look at this thing the more I fall in love with it. Everything is very compact and well organized; "smart" engineering I would call it.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Nearing Spring" Update!!

Still only a measly <100miles on the odometer (have to love winter in the northeast) but I have been busy with some updates/add-ons. The bike is pretty much right where I want it barring a few little pieces here and there; still need a tidy tail for example. Surprisingly enough, I actually even went with an aftermarket exhaust on this bike (If you have seen any of my past bikes you would know that aftermarket exhausts are usually not even on the list of items that I want).

Enough talk for now :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the look of the bike. If I had the funds it would definitely be my next ride.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
My brother told me he seen a red one yesterday. :( I liked having the only one in Arkansas for a little while. O well time to go bust some wheelies. That single handedly (pun intended) helped me get over the snatchy throttle. Just did my first service yesterday. Let's ride!!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking bike! I don't know what all the fuss is about with the wind. I love naked bikes and never thought the wind was any problem, maybe a little on a really cold night. My gf rode hers close to 1000 miles to Canada and back without a complaint.

Yamaha did a good job on the 9 and wow what a great price on them too.