New to riding, bought an 08 FZ6.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a blue 08 FZ6, mostly for commuting purposes. Never really ridden street bikes (a few dirt bikes years ago.)

img054.jpg

img057.jpg

shaun_bike2.jpg

Hoping to have a lot of fun and save a lot of money :thumbup:

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I too just bought an 08 FZ6, I got it in black. Spent all day today riding it around. I originally fell in love with the FZ6 years ago before I could even drive. I'm loving every moment on the bike.

ajeets

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I got my 08 FZ6 on May 17 in Atlanta, ga. With me it was love at first sight (and site) with this bike. If you feel comfortable please share how much you paid for it. I paid $6299+tax/tag. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.

Aj

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I bought a Blue 08 ten days ago for commuting and play. Except for the seat (which starts burning my butt after an hour) I love it so far. The clutch on mine has a very narrow grab range (or whatever you call it), which takes a bit getting use to. It makes starting out smoothly in first gear a little more difficult, but I'm getting used to that.

Anyways, have fun and be safe!

John

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
That clutch and shifting will get smoother as it breaks in.

To the OP. Take it easy and don't get too crazy. She will bite you. I know all too well. It's easy to open up that throttle and is tempting at times.

ajeets

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone has recommendations for a nice jacket? Do you guys have different ones for Summer and Winter? I live in Georgia so summers are really hot and winters are cold. Appreciate your thoughts.

Aje

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
That clutch and shifting will get smoother as it breaks in.

To the OP. Take it easy and don't get too crazy. She will bite you. I know all too well. It's easy to open up that throttle and is tempting at times.

The current plan is offroad (parking lot areas) and my very low-traffic neighborhood streets for learning. Also a MSF-type course is in order this summer to actually get my endorsement. I'm working towards just staying under 35mph right now, getting smooth roll on/roll off and gear changes both up and down before I get out on any type of main arterial road. If it takes me a month or two to be comfy and get it all down, so be it.

It's been almost 16 years since I've ridden anything with two wheels, so this is basically brand new for me. I hope I'm taking a fairly practical (if not real conservative) approach here. I'm definitely not interested in getting out there on the highways before I'm comfortable doing even the basics.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I got my 08 FZ6 on May 17 in Atlanta, ga. With me it was love at first sight (and site) with this bike. If you feel comfortable please share how much you paid for it. I paid $6299+tax/tag. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.

Aj

I paid sticker I think, which was something near $6995 or so. Included destination taxes and tag fees. Total financed was $8000 even, with a three year 'Gold' service plan and a helmet.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I paid $8000.01 (the penny was his idea of being funny). Plus I got some extras (warranties, gap insurance etc...) and a lojack. All in all I probably paid a little too much, but I'm still happy with it. I probably could have talked him down more, but I was excited and in the moment. I figure that since this is going to be mine for quite a while, it's still worth it.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I bought a Blue 08 ten days ago for commuting and play. Except for the seat (which starts burning my butt after an hour) I love it so far. The clutch on mine has a very narrow grab range (or whatever you call it), which takes a bit getting use to. It makes starting out smoothly in first gear a little more difficult, but I'm getting used to that.

Anyways, have fun and be safe!

John

Welcome John! Others (including myself) have noticed the binary clutch as well. I installed Pazzo levers and noticed a world of difference; the friction zone is normal with these levers. They also allow you to change the lever/handle distance on both levers (stock levers only allow adjustment on the brake lever).

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone has recommendations for a nice jacket? Do you guys have different ones for Summer and Winter? I live in Georgia so summers are really hot and winters are cold. Appreciate your thoughts.

Aje

I have a perforated Icon leather jacket that I wear in the warm months and a Joe Rocket textile jacket that is excellent for the cold months. I would go to a dealership or a store like Cycle Gear and try on some of their jackets to determine what you like and then find it on line for cheaper.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You have bought a great, versatile bike. Fantastic for touring and for racing.

But be careful, this bike can seriously damage your health. Just read some of the accident threads on here. I broke both arms and right leg in a bike accident travelling at less than 30mph. Not on the FZ6 I must add.

My tip to a newbie is Buy the right gear. Jeans and trainers are useless on a bike. Ankles and knees just love roads, they can get worn away to nothing in milliseconds. Buy the right gear and enjoy the ride.

Steve

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I think you'll want both, a cold and a warm/hot weather jacket. I went with a mesh on closeout:Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD for warm/hot weather. Without the liner it's bearable in 100 degree farenheit weather. I found out the hard way that one should go up one size with the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 if wearing both the liner and outer jacket. There's a thread somewhere on warm/hot weather gear in this forum. Warm weather jackets include mesh, textile and perforated leather.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You have bought a great, versatile bike. Fantastic for touring and for racing.

But be careful, this bike can seriously damage your health. Just read some of the accident threads on here. I broke both arms and right leg in a bike accident travelling at less than 30mph. Not on the FZ6 I must add.

My tip to a newbie is Buy the right gear. Jeans and trainers are useless on a bike. Ankles and knees just love roads, they can get worn away to nothing in milliseconds. Buy the right gear and enjoy the ride.

Steve

Yep. See a lot of road rash on those parts. It all comes down to how much you think your skin is worth. Some say, "Just don't crash." I wish it were that easy.