New to FZ6, few questions.

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Great forum here. Been poking around here and there. Love the How To stuff. I have a 2006 FZ6 with 28K miles on it. Bought it used. I know kinda a lot of miles but it was a clean bike with no issues. I have a question about shifting/driving in 1st gear. Sometimes when I drive though the parking lot or at a slow speed the throttle seems to be kinda jumpy. As in the bike speeds up then slows then speeds. This mainly happens when the wife is on the back. It is only an issue when going slow. Say around 10 MPH or less. Does anyone else experience this? I wanted to put something in the gas tank to clean the injectors, any recommendations?

Shifting. . . my previous bike was a 2010 GSXR 750. I am noticing that my shifting is off. At least it seems. I was looking at the owners manual and found the shifting guide there. Do most of you go by that more or less? I have been shifting into 2nd around 20-25MPH, after reading I am adjusting it down to around 13MPH. I cruse around town in 3rd or 4th gear speeds around 40-50MPH. 3rd gear 40MPH 4th gear 50MPH. Thoughts on this?

Such a great community, happy to be here!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
For the slow speed stuff I'd feather the clutch to make it feel less jerky and would use the rear brake to control the speed.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
K9,
I had the G2 Throttle tamer installed and that made a big difference for me. I'm a newb, and throttle control is still a learning experience. The G2 makes the open/closed throttle much less abrupt.
I also had the Killernoodle clutch lever done, and that was a huge improvment.
Enjoy the ride.

hamiltonfighter

Reaction score
Visit site
K9,
I had the G2 Throttle tamer installed and that made a big difference for me. I'm a newb, and throttle control is still a learning experience. The G2 makes the open/closed throttle much less abrupt.
I also had the Killernoodle clutch lever done, and that was a huge improvment.
Enjoy the ride.

Is this the throttle tamer you have: Tamer Throttle System for Metric Cruisers

Here's info on the clutch lever: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Great forum here. Been poking around here and there. Love the How To stuff. I have a 2006 FZ6 with 28K miles on it. Bought it used. I know kinda a lot of miles but it was a clean bike with no issues. I have a question about shifting/driving in 1st gear. Sometimes when I drive though the parking lot or at a slow speed the throttle seems to be kinda jumpy. As in the bike speeds up then slows then speeds. This mainly happens when the wife is on the back. It is only an issue when going slow. Say around 10 MPH or less. Does anyone else experience this? I wanted to put something in the gas tank to clean the injectors, any recommendations?

Shifting. . . my previous bike was a 2010 GSXR 750. I am noticing that my shifting is off. At least it seems. I was looking at the owners manual and found the shifting guide there. Do most of you go by that more or less? I have been shifting into 2nd around 20-25MPH, after reading I am adjusting it down to around 13MPH. I cruse around town in 3rd or 4th gear speeds around 40-50MPH. 3rd gear 40MPH 4th gear 50MPH. Thoughts on this?

Such a great community, happy to be here!

i shift when i feel i should. usually 1-2 happens at about 18-23 mph for me, unless im whacking it open... also there is a fuel cut "problem" witht his bike that makes the throttle release a bit jumpy. you'll get used to it but it can be slightly annoying. its basically just a snatchy throttle, if thats what you are speaking of.

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I should be more clear on the throttle. I know to expect the jerk from when I open the throttle from nothing. The jerkness I am talking about occurs when I have the throttle open and am moving at about 5-12MPH. I am not accelerating just holding it steady, like you would in a parking lot. I guess I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Going to research the clutch thingy you are talking about. Thanks again guys!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I should be more clear on the throttle. I know to expect the jerk from when I open the throttle from nothing. The jerkness I am talking about occurs when I have the throttle open and am moving at about 5-12MPH. I am not accelerating just holding it steady, like you would in a parking lot. I guess I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here. Going to research the clutch thingy you are talking about. Thanks again guys!

It really shouldn't be jerky unless its got alot of weight on it and your at idle (in gear, moving, clutch all the way out), lugging it. With those circumstances, a little bit of throttle and feathering the clutch (as noted above should be fine).

I'm about 200 lbs, the idle set low at 1,000 (running temp) and can, (on a level surface), let the clutch out slowly, NO throttle, and the bike will go forward and continue at idle. My chain is always well maintained.

Make sure your chain is adjusted correctly (2" total up and down at the taughest point) and is well oiled. If its dry and binding, besides not being good for the chain, it could cause some of your issues.

Seafoam is a good fuel additive which helps clean the injectors, top end of the engine, fuel stabilizer that I also use pretty regularly. Walmart, Northern and most automotive stores carry it.

Re shifting, if the bikes cold, I keep the shifting at somewhat low RPM's (I don't pay attention to the speedometer for shifting), I listen to the engine and shift accordingly re traffic conditions, etc. Don't be afraid to wind it up some, it won't hurt anything once warmed up (oil too). Lugging the engine, DON'T DO it, its very bad for the engine...

*For me, under normal driving conditions, I generally shift between 4,000 and 6,000 RPM's.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a 2006 FZ6 and experience the jerkiness in parking lots if I am traveling under 10 mph.

The solution has already been covered: Slipping the clutch, giving a little throttle, dragging the rear brake when you need to adjust your speed and also dragging the rear brake as you let off or apply light throttle at low speed will positively stop the jerkiness. It's something you gradually learn to live with on this bike.

I have had my FZ6 since new and still love it, quirks and all! :thumbup:

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
It really shouldn't be jerky unless its got alot of weight on it and your at idle (in gear, moving, clutch all the way out), lugging it. With those circumstances, a little bit of throttle and feathering the clutch (as noted above should be fine).

I'm about 200 lbs, the idle set low at 1,000 (running temp) and can, (on a level surface), let the clutch out slowly, NO throttle, and the bike will go forward and continue at idle. My chain is always well maintained.

Make sure your chain is adjusted correctly (2" total up and down at the taughest point) and is well oiled. If its dry and binding, besides not being good for the chain, it could cause some of your issues.

Seafoam is a good fuel additive which helps clean the injectors, top end of the engine, fuel stabilizer that I also use pretty regularly. Walmart, Northern and most automotive stores carry it.

Re shifting, if the bikes cold, I keep the shifting at somewhat low RPM's (I don't pay attention to the speedometer for shifting), I listen to the engine and shift accordingly re traffic conditions, etc. Don't be afraid to wind it up some, it won't hurt anything once warmed up (oil too). Lugging the engine, DON'T DO it, its very bad for the engine...

*For me, under normal driving conditions, I generally shift between 4,000 and 6,000 RPM's.

Thanks for the great info! Well I am 250ish and I can't let clutch out without it stalling, unless I give it gas. It's more jerky with the wife on the make. Weight might be an issue. I normally shift around 4-6k. And I normally run around town at a steady speed sitting around 4-5k.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same stuff is this is?\

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-SF-16-Motor-Treatment/dp/B0002JN2EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1369134044&sr=1-1&keywords=seafoam]Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Just add it to the tank right?

As for checking the chain, that's on the to do list for Thursday!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the great info! Well I am 250ish and I can't let clutch out without it stalling, unless I give it gas. It's more jerky with the wife on the make. Weight might be an issue. I normally shift around 4-6k. And I normally run around town at a steady speed sitting around 4-5k.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same stuff is this is?\

Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up : Amazon.com : Automotive

Just add it to the tank right?

As for checking the chain, that's on the to do list for Thursday!

Yepper, that's the correct product. You can use it in the crankcase too, but I generally just use it in the fuel. The RPM's your shifting at is about the same as my normal around town riding.

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The jerkiness in first gear is normal, nothing to worry about. Slip the clutch when going slow in parking lots. Eventually your right hand will become very sensitive to the smallest movement and you will be able to control the throttle very precisely, making the ride smoother.

About shift points, I never really pay attention to the speed or RPM, but I would say that I shift into second gear around 20 MPH. Sometimes I shift into second at 5 MPH, and sometimes I shift into second at 60 MPH. It really doesn't matter, just don't lug the engine too much. It likes exploring the double digit RPM's on a regular basis :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if the throttle cable(s) are too tight? It's more likely the front compresses with added load, but in the event the NOSE IS RISING, it could be there is no free play in the cables and that could make it jumpy from bumps.

Now add some perpetual motion, i.e. the throttle jerks "ON" over a bump, the rider lets off - repeat loop!

On flat land mine can get jumpy when at idle. Under load up a hill it does fine, but flat or slight down hill and I slip the clutch.

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
I have free play at the grip. So it should be ok there. Next paycheck or two I plan on taking it to a shop and having them give it a good once over. Thanks guys!

K9shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a long ride today with the wife on the back. We hit a good amount of twisties!! Question about the G2. Will it remove some, or all of the initial snap when you crack the throttle open?