New Tire Break- In

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
Got some new Angle ST's comung this week- end:thumbup: This is my first set of new tires.Is tere any way to scrub them in by hand? Not many curves in my neck of the woods:( The best curve is in a 55mph blind turn, i can get to about a 1 inch chicken-strip but have to hit it at- least 85mph. That does not sound like a good idea on new tires:eek: Any Ideas:confused:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Find an large, empty parking lot and start doing circles, turns etc. I dragged a peg for the first time scrubbing in my Pilot Road 2s.

Tim

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I know people who wipe em down with prepsol & others who give em a rub with wet & dry.
I prefer to just ride em like normal.

If the nearest set of twisties is an hour away then we know what you're doing this weekend :thumbup:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't feel the need to scrub in my tires like the old days, but I do take a little care for awhile. An empty parking lot doing slow speed riding with progressively tighter left and right turns (circles and figure 8s) can scrub the tires over fairly far without the need to risk your neck on the blind corner you describe.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't feel the need to scrub in my tires like the old days, but I do take a little care for awhile.

me either.

I think once you get them up to temp they should be ready to rail.

I've read articles, one in SportRider, where a dunlop rep was stating that the whole "scrub in" thing was no longer applicable as they don't use mold release on the tread any more....just an urban myth now a days.

I think the biggest thing is getting used to the new profile of the tires and how they handle. proper tire pressure and operating temp = ready to ride.

YMMV

I'm sure the lynch mob will be coming shortly to tell me how wrong I am....

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup:Thanks for the help! It is a 45min boat ferry ride plus 2hr to any good roads(at the least):eek: I do have some great parking-lots:rolleyes:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same question when I put my new rear Road 2 on last summer. Apparently there in no mold release compound used but the new tires seem slick. Info which was most believable was the tires need to be heat cycled. Cycle Gear mounted the tire and I scrubbed it good with citrus cleaner and s100 then put the wheel on the bike and road it for 140 miles. The first 99.9 miles were 55 or slower then interstate for the last miles. Ambient temp was mid 90's. Tire has been great. :)

Road the dragon a week ago and didn't crash so it has to be good - just don't ask me how fast!

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I've just had some BT023s fitted and I'm sure they've used a mould-release agent because on the way home, in the rain the bike felt like it was slipping all over the place. I was doing 30mph in a straight line and the front felt like it was moving away from me. It has since improved after more riding.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This thread came just at the right time. I just put a new set of tires on and haven't had the time to break them in yet. I guess I'll take it easy for a while (not that I ride hard compared to most of you) I would feel really stupid if I put the bike down with out a break in period on the tires. I would really stupid if I put the bike down after a good break in period also. :spank:

Doc

I gues I'll have to keep the shinny side up.