New Texas Rider (Plus pics!)

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone!

Completed my MSF course about a week ago and for my 25th Birthday yesterday I bought my first bike. It's an 05 FZ-6, 20.8k miles.

Lots of people have their dream car, but since I was 15 I always admired the R6's style and performance. I had an excellent instructor during the course who helped me see the wisdom in a more comfortable bike and this one fits the bill perfectly. Being a taller guy, I couldn't be happier.

I took my test on a Suzuki TU250X and test drove a Suzuki GS500F before making the decision to move up to the 600. I was worried from all the buzz about 600's being too large for a beginner, but after a 3 hour ride home through Houston traffic I feel pretty confident(though I'm still very cautious).

If there's anyone in the Houston area (I'm in Galveston) that would like to ride sometime and doesn't mind cruising with a newbie, give me a shout!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum buddy, just couple more long drives and you'll get the hand of it.:cheer:Belated happy birthday wishes:cheer: and Congratulations on your new wheels.:rockon:
Its so fun to see new people buying this bike as the years go forward.
You new buyers make me proud of my decision ;)
Thank You all.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats on your successful completion of your MSF class. The TU250 is a fun little bike to learn on. Remember what you learned in the classroom as well as on the range, you now have learned the basic fundamentals on how to operate and control your motorcycle outside of a controlled environment. It's up to you to improve and continue learning in order to improve your mental and physical skills on your bike! Ride defensively like your invisible, never assume and always ride with a strategy. Even how and where you decide to stop behind another vehicle at a red light takes a smart approach. Most importantly, always wear your gear! More the better.

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome guys!

Welcome and congrats on your successful completion of your MSF class. The TU250 is a fun little bike to learn on. Remember what you learned in the classroom as well as on the range, you now have learned the basic fundamentals on how to operate and control your motorcycle outside of a controlled environment. It's up to you to improve and continue learning in order to improve your mental and physical skills on your bike! Ride defensively like your invisible, never assume and always ride with a strategy. Even how and where you decide to stop behind another vehicle at a red light takes a smart approach. Most importantly, always wear your gear! More the better.

Yeah, I'm most definitely planning on taking it to a large abandoned shopping mall we have nearby and getting more used to it. Driving the bike home at freeway speeds, I did find myself nervous about swerving at high speeds to avoid oil patches and whatnot. I was cut off no less than 4 times that single ride and I quickly learned to not box myself in. The bike has plenty of power to just zip past those cars to either side and make myself as visible as possible. Seems better to speed a little bit and be seen than worry about the limit and ride in blind spots.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and congratulations on passing your MSF course. Make sure you get good protective gear head to toe! Your FZ6 will surprise you when you hit the higher rpms where the engine will become very different with it power delivery.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!! i remember being 25 and buying my fz6 right after I got my license. No better feeling!! Good luck and ride safe!!

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! It's a drive from you but if you're ever west of San Antonio check out "Twisted Sisters" aka "The Three Sisters". Google it, it'll pop up. It's one of the most popular motorcycle road here in Texas. :rockon:

Also check out Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com lots of good roads to explore in the Houston area.

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! It's a drive from you but if you're ever west of San Antonio check out "Twisted Sisters" aka "The Three Sisters". Google it, it'll pop up. It's one of the most popular motorcycle road here in Texas. :rockon:

Also check out Motorcycle Roads | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com lots of good roads to explore in the Houston area.

I was just wondering whether google maps was the only way to find good practice roads. Thanks a ton for the link and info!