Newbie mistakes!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
try slipping the clutch and using more throttle during manouvers, as long as the bike is moving more than a couple of mph it will stay upright, you can use the back brake to control the speed.

try practicing some figure of eights and going around in circles in a parking lot, also practice going as slow as you can in a straight line. you don't need to lean when doing slow stuff

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
try slipping the clutch and using more throttle during manouvers, as long as the bike is moving more than a couple of mph it will stay upright, you can use the back brake to control the speed.

try practicing some figure of eights and going around in circles in a parking lot, also practice going as slow as you can in a straight line. you don't need to lean when doing slow stuff

I don't think that's a good idea at all!!!

As touchy as the throttle is and the limited friction zone of the clutch, someone trying to get used to the bike could very easily give it top much clutch or throttle and a number of bad things could follow.

I would say find a empty parking lot, don't even give it any gas just let the clutch out and let the idle speed drive the bike while practicing low speed maneuvers.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
ronsonol, don't get discouraged! I took the MSF course in October and bought a 2006 FZ6 in November. I'm also 5'5" and 125. I live in the heart of Houston so my drops, usually at stop lights or stop signs, were particularly public and embarrassing (I always feel like people pay more attention to mistakes I make and blame it on me being a female rider, not a new rider). However, I made some mods to the bike, shaved down the seat, and started riding every day in January. I went from terrified of the bike to back in love with it and my skills improved as my time on the bike got longer. I'm by no means a great rider, I'm uber cautious and actually rode on the highway for the first time ever today, but no amount of reading or teaching could replace just getting on the road and trying it every day.
Don't put yourself in any situations you aren't comfortable with is a good motto, but if you never push yourself just a little out of the comfort zone, you're not going to get out of the neighborhood and fall in love with the machine you put good money into.
That's my two cents.

Don't feel too bad. I've been riding for quite a while, and having driven a car on Houston highways, you couldn't pay me to ride a motorcycle on them. Bunch of crazy drivers down there.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you don't need to lean when doing slow stuff

Of course you have to lean the bike when doing slow speed maneuvers if you ever want to be able to make tight U-turns. Search youtube for "counter weight".. should be able to see some good examples.
It's possible to keep the bike completely upright and make slow turns, but your radius will be huge compared to properly executed counter-weight turn.

Not trying to be argumentative here.. just stating what I've learned form veteran rider coaches and from my personal experience.

dougk35

Reaction score
Visit site
I practice emergency breaking all the time. Often when coming up to a stop sign, if there is no one behind me, I'll wait till the last minute and slam on the breaks to see how fast I can stop.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I practice emergency breaking all the time. Often when coming up to a stop sign, if there is no one behind me, I'll wait till the last minute and slam on the breaks to see how fast I can stop.

By "slam" I hope you mean progressively squeeze :D

burningman_73

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyways, definitely won't be hitting the road until I feel more confident doing figure 8's at slow speed (5mph or less). Turning left is always easier than right for some reason, but I've found online to use the rear brake and keeping the clutch in the friction zone and that helps a lot!

I just started riding last season and noticed that turning left seems easier while doing slow speed maneuvers, too. I wonder if this is caused by being right handed? Do newer left handers find it is easier to turn right? Or maybe it is the result of the throttle being on the right handle and you subconsciously don't want to pull that handle towards your body...

Or maybe its just a coincidence? :rolleyes:.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading all of these posts and others on different sites, I have to say that no other issue seems to divide the motorcycling community more than what size bike to start with. I've seen some really heated discussions.

IMHO I think it depends on how much experience you have on two wheels of any kind. I have been an avid mountain biker for most of my life, which requires good balance and slow-speed handling skills. Even with these, I have face-planted on numerous occasions! I bought a 150cc scooter last year for commuting (yes, a scooter) and found myself pushing that little thing as hard as it could be pushed-mainly as a result of a**hole drivers behind me. I learned a lot about leaning into corners, braking and the fine art of staying alive in traffic.

I bought my first motorcycle, an '06 FZ6 about a month ago, and I would not have wanted anything smaller. I have been riding cautiously, trying to learn the idiosyncrasies of this clutch and sensitive throttle. At 6'1" and 165lbs. I don't feel intimidated by the size of the bike, although I am fully prepared that I may drop it at some point. That's just the learning curve. All I'm saying is that riding at speed depends on three things: experience, respect, and responsibility. Beyond that, the wild card seems to be all those other drivers out there...

Newfiegirl20

Reaction score
Visit site
As people have told me, everyone has dropped a bike at least once. I've only recently got my learners, like last week. My first bike is an 88 FZ600, I was told to go smaller yet I may get bored of it quicker. A few people have said the 600 I have now is too big as Im only 5'6, 130lbs, but now that I'm comfortable turning and riding it, Im glad I got it. Its a nice bike, I am able to touch on both sides. I think its best for new riders to find a bike they find comfortable, even just sitting on. Made a huge difference to me.

I have to say the only time I've dropped my own bike is at slow times. As someone else had said I was looking down when I dropped it too. Since keeping my head up and trying to have more confidence thinking ahead. I havent dropped it.

Piotrek

Reaction score
Visit site
As a short guy 5'5'' I had the same problem when I started. Especially when I started riding with racing boots and leather pants. I was all stiff and it was impossible for me to put both feet down, which led to couple accidental falls when at zero speed. Then I developed a method of putting my right foot down very close to the bike while sliding my butt a bit off the seat.

But as others mentioned, it takes time, practice, feel of bike weight. And while it's easier to manage a smaller bike when stopped, it shouldn't be the primary measure of what bike size are you getting.

FZ6 I got is my first bike ever and even though it was a bit of a challenge at the beginning I think it was a great decision.

You will gain skills faster while riding slower.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Erci has said, Don't Look Down! If you look down, that's where you will go. Keep your head and eyes up and look where you want to go.

Also when you're coming to a stop, keep the handlebars square, in other words try not to turn the handlebars. Keep them straight!

When you practice the U-turn box, you should concentrate looking back at the cones you came through and when it's time to turn the bike in the other direction, you should be focusing on the exit cones. Those two points only! Straighten your head in the middle of the box and you're done, so keep your head locked looking back over your shoulder and keep your foward momentum going, do not stall. If you think you're going to put your foot down because you lost your foward momentum, ease that clutch out and pick up speed.

If you lean the bike over more, the tighter the turn, but as Erci said, you need to counterbalance. In the event you feel you need to slow down, drag the rear brake. This is one area (Slow tight turns) where your front brake is not your friend.

Once again, slow tight turn is only a convenience skill, it's probably not going to save your life. If you can't do it, you can walk the bike back and forth to turn it around. If you can't do a U-turn, you can always go around the block.

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to add my comment as a new rider too. I took a motorcycle course here in Montreal two years ago, then only bought the FZ6 now. Was a very good course though with some amazing instructors. I am still on learner at this point, full road test later this year.

I initially was looking for a 500cc, something that I thought I could handle and last me a few years. I've gotten advice such as 'Always get a bike bigger than you think you can handle'. Since I said 500c, I was told to get a 800cc at least. That sounded crazy to me. Unfortunately, I did listen a bit and got something a bit bigger... got the Fz6 2007 two weeks ago.

However I haven't dropped it so far with some 200Km covered. I am 5"8 and 165Lbs and I think I have been able to recover because I can manage the weight of the Fz6. I am glad to hear that the clutch is a challenge for others as well on the Fz6, because I thought it was just me. I haven't ridden other bikes other than the Fz6 and the course's bikes (250cc and 400cc) so I wouldn't know. After too weeks, I still think I need to practice the friction point and be able to get in motion smoothly and at an angle. Such as negotiating a turn at a stop or leaving a parking spot in the city with only a lane to manoeuvre a 100deg turn. Doesn't help either that we have many roads that slope up or down. I do it but it is far from smooth and sometimes I give too much throttle because I am afraid I will choke it. I have been doing it without damage so far but it just feels shaky - too much rev, paddling the road with my feet a couple of times before I am secure. Good thing I have held up the clutch well and not let go! I can think of a few cars that I might have kissed if I've go of the clutch... A few of them super cars (F1 week-end, lots of super cars here). The gas feels over sensitive specially during those starts. I have adjusted my clutch to bring the friction point closer yesterday, that did seem to help. Previously I almost had my hand fully extended before I would reach the friction point. Have to try more.

The few good things that I did at least was to read about the Fz6 before buying and most articles say it is a good bike to start for those who have not ridden for a while, some say it is good for beginner as it does not have lots of torque until further up the rev. Heck I believe them. Also not to hop on the Fz6 as soon as I paid for it. I got a friend to ride it for me to an empty space. Took an hour to get used to the bike. Choked it many many times before I got the friction point ok. Redid my course exercises and practising emergency braking. The first tweak I did on the bike was to go to the garage and ask them to oil the clutch cable because the clutch feels so hard. It did help just a bit, I still think the clutch is too hard. Spent many hours learning about the Fz6 (this forum is great for that) and motorcycling in general. One odd thing I did too was go on youtube and watch others do silly things on their bike and fail so as to remind me of stuff NOT to do. Last but not least, I have not ridden with the people who have advised me to get the bigger bikes; I have kept a couple of saner people around me to accompany me to ride.

So far I think I will be ok with the Fz6, but like someone said, height and strength is possibly a factor at the beginning. On a plus side, I think the gears are super easy. Can find the neutral each and every time :p

Take it easy, keep working on getting more comfortable with your motorcycle before you hit the road. In case you hit the road and realise that there are things you have to improve. Go back to a safe place and practice. (I am giving myself advices too btw ;) )

Brahms

Reaction score
Visit site
Recycled Newbie chimes in

My first bike was an '02 KLR250, 40 years after first taking the Yamaha Learn-to-Ride School. Loved it, drove it 1200 miles in two months including a 350 mile trip in the wet 50-degree North Ga. mountains. Yes, I wanted more power, until I got myself in a position where more power would be a really bad idea. Then the power craving abated until the next time. Great starter bike, especially with mostly-street tires. Killer for in-town jousting, faster than anything on four wheels to 20 mph, handles occasional dirt, grass clippings, road grit and gravel with aplomb. Quickly came to realize that the old hips can't handle kick-start only. Sold it a year ago for more than I paid for it to a guy 6'4" who could afford anything he wanted.

Then a friend sold me his 1990 Honda VTR250, the Baby Interceptor. Boy, is that a small bike. Smaller than the 250 Nighthawk I rode (and hated) in the MSF class. Loved the VTR, he said grinning as he remembered the 14,000rpms and rocket-like acceleration. Boy, was that a blast. Quickly came to realize that the old carpal tunnels couldn't handle the sport-bike riding position. Sold it last year for more than I paid for it to a young lady barely 5 feet tall, who had several thousand miles on her KTM150.

Then the V-Strom 650 came into my life about a year ago. Boy, it's nice having all that wind protection, all those places to hang stuff. Boy, fuel injection and ABS are ever so nice. Boy, it's great getting better gas mileage than either of the 250s. But, boy, it would have been a really, really bad idea for me to start with it. The few thousand miles I put on the 250s showed me the ropes of the sport-bike and mostly-dirt-dual-sport types. 8,000 miles in 15 months and I still can't do the MSF school figures as well on the Wee as I could on the 250s. I'm glad I didn't start on it.

Moral of the story: whatever bike you have will not be your last bike. Brother-in-law has a Superduke and an FZ1, so I always look longingly at the FZ6. But that BMW RT I test-drove was SOOOO comfortable, and now that I've had the carpal tunnel surgery that Honda Superhawk is really a good deal, and. . . . .

Timbostang

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Recycled Newbie chimes in

It's never too late to make a newbie mistake! I just made one this weekend while I was doing my naked conversion. I was almost done installing the mirrors and was in the process of adjusting them. I went to move the bike a little and forgot I had put the kickstand up. So there my beautiful naked fz6 lays on the ground with some scratches on the stator cover and the rear tail cover!!! And I've ridden about 10 years and 60k miles.