Newbie mistakes!

ronsonol

Reaction score
Visit site
Feel like I made several mistakes. Listening to friends before checking forums was the first! 600cc too powerful for first riders I've read.

Well first time rider, took MSF course (I feel that I didn't learn properly, or at least had enough time to be better) and now I own a 2004 FZ6.

Been practicing clutch control and being extremely cautious about the throttle. I've dropped the bike a few times, ironically when stopped. After braking, I always lean to the left and somehow the bike drops albeit slowly since my leg is bracing it. (I'm skinny, short 5'5" , and a light weight 125lb ) Each time I lift the bike back up I feel like the hulk its so heavy.:Flash:

Anyways, definitely won't be hitting the road until I feel more confident doing figure 8's at slow speed (5mph or less). Turning left is always easier than right for some reason, but I've found online to use the rear brake and keeping the clutch in the friction zone and that helps a lot! Didn't learn that at MSF (still a little bitter that I didn't get super trained)

I live in a nice neighborhood, several culdesacs, and protected from busy street traffic, not too many kids.

Clutch is way sensitive but I am adapting to the narrow friction zone.
Being super cautious, trying to be smart about everything, and hoping to learn.

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read, the MSF should give you just enough knowledge to be certified at 20 mph. Out of curiosity, do you feel your MSF didn't include enough riding time or just didn't give enough instruction.

I was talking to a coworker today who told me I should go as big as I can afford. He said a guy my size (6'1" 285 lbs) shouldn't even consider anything smaller than 600cc. He said if you can't ride a big bike, you shouldn't ride a small bike either. I heard him talking, but I stopped listening after he said this. I have read way too much in forums, in books, in magazines, etc. to listen to his bad advice at this point.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read, the MSF should give you just enough knowledge to be certified at 20 mph. Out of curiosity, do you feel your MSF didn't include enough riding time or just didn't give enough instruction.

I was talking to a coworker today who told me I should go as big as I can afford. He said a guy my size (6'1" 285 lbs) shouldn't even consider anything smaller than 600cc. He said if you can't ride a big bike, you shouldn't ride a small bike either. I heard him talking, but I stopped listening after he said this. I have read way too much in forums, in books, in magazines, etc. to listen to his bad advice at this point.

Your coworker sounds like a typical experienced motorcyclist. They (the experienced motorcyclists) get used to the power and sensitivity of bigger bikes over time and can't imagine riding a smaller bike. They forget what it's like as a new rider.

I started on a 2003 Ninja 250 and put about 7K miles on it before upgrading. For your size, I would agree that it will be a bit small for you, but it could be done and I would highly recommend it. It will still do 0-60 in about 7 seconds which is pretty fast when you aren't used to a motorcycle, and will easily keep up with 75 MPH traffic on the freeway with more power to spare. I would suggest a Ninja 500R, Suzuki GS500F, or similar >600cc twin cylinder bike if you want something a bit bigger. I would stick with under 50 HP for your first bike. When I first rode an FZ6, the power and sensitivity of the controls relative to the 2fiddy was CRAZY. I can't see how someone could recommend a 600cc I4 as a first bike, much less anything bigger. One newbie mistake and you'll be sliding down the pavement in a second.

Hope this helps.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I started to ride again I got the biggest bike I could,06 FZ6. It's taken me a bit, but with a lot of practice with cones you can buy at Walmart or you can use tennis balls cut in half just practice. Ride like a Pro has a good web site, Captian Crash is good also. A newbie mistake is to hit the front brake while going real slow in a turn, that will drop you pretty fast. I'm short on one end so I can't put both feet level on the ground. I just place my left foot down keeping my right foot on the peg. I belive a lot of us has droped our bike, it's part of the learning process. Hang in there, we have all been there. Just get out and ride, ride safe.

Doc

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Lol does that guy even ride? He sounds like one of those wanna bees who goes out buys them a brand new Harley, or liter bike to sell it 250miles later because he realized his logic was completely stupid.

Size of the engine should be the least of concerns for new riders, however I do understand the size of the bike argument being 6' I feel a little cramped with the egos of the fz6 compared to the other bikes I've owned or own. But then again the fz6 has the smallest engine out of all of them and will smoke them all in a drag too. You can learn a lot on less powerful bikes that will pay for itself 10fold on a more powerful bike. Especially if your into hard cornering and twisty roads. For most of your average joe riders the bike has nothing to do with how fast you can go around a corner, your knowledge, ability, and size of your balls determines that. For instance 2 weekends back I put 2 R1s to shame on US129 on my klr650 covered in mud, and rockin a set of el' cheepo dual sport tires. If those guys on the R1s would have known how to control their bikes better in the turns they could have easily made a fool of me. Or even if they knew how to put the power down coming out of the corners they could have at least caught up to me.

ronsonol

Reaction score
Visit site
A little bit of both regarding MSF. i wish there was more practice time definitely. It seemes geared towards those whove had experience with bikes Even though it was a basic riders course. I also have learned some riding techniques online that I wished the class taught.

All i can do now is be safe and practice safe riding and develop skill.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice makes perfect and all things come in due time!!! Just don't rush into anything your not ready for, that's how bikes go down and newbs stray away from the wonderful world of riding

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
lets not focus on what the op should have bought, but what he bought, the fz6. IT CAN BE DONE! my first bike was a yzf600r...loved it to bits!!! wish I kept it:( but I too dropped it at standstills (similarly sized to the fz) which is a tall bike for us short and skinny folk. just take it reallllllyyy slow, the fz is a great bike and relatively forgiving, but the 600cc's will still get you into trouble FAST. keep it in the neighborhood like your doing and dont forget the rear brake when going slow :thumbup:

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Took Msf course and bought my fz6 a week later. But took it easy for the first 1k miles. I bought it because I thought it was big enough to start on but not outgrow it in the first few years. 4 years later I still love the fz6. I am 6ft and 220lbs

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol does that guy even ride? He sounds like one of those wanna bees who goes out buys them a brand new Harley, or liter bike to sell it 250miles later because he realized his logic was completely stupid.

He has been riding for about 5 or 6 years. And guess what? Yup, he's a Harley guy.

To the OP: my driver's Ed class to get my drivers license was like 3 hours a day for about 3 weeks. That included a lot of road and range time. I'm actually a little surprised that the beginner MSF classes seem to be only a couple days (here in the US).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
A little bit of both regarding MSF. i wish there was more practice time definitely. It seemes geared towards those whove had experience with bikes Even though it was a basic riders course. I also have learned some riding techniques online that I wished the class taught.

All i can do now is be safe and practice safe riding and develop skill.

I'm sorry to hear that. I took the MSF to just refresh my skills since I learned on a dirt bike and not street. My class started from the book and then to squeezing fingers together and slowly letting them out for clutch. Then how to start the bike, and then spent ALOT of time power walking to get used to the friction point. I was a little bored at first, but the instructors I had seemed to be great for anyone who had never touched a motorcycle.

As for some confidence, This is my first true motorcycle (a dirt bike is practically a toy in comparison). I guess my word of advice for you that I concentrate on is the friction point and lean don't steer. At stop lights I hold it at the friction point so I can roll out easy and not kill it, and I remind myself that until I find out otherwise, this bike can let me knee drag so LEAN PUSH AND ROLL, DON'T STEER.

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been going for practice rides for the last few weeks before my msf course later this month, and having a blast. I think a lot of the proper-bike-size-for-newbies argument had to do with the size of the rider. I haven't come close to dropping my bike, but I'm 6'4 210 lbs and it feels like a bicycle. Hardest thing for me has been getting smooth with the clutch, but lowering the engagement point has done wonders!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the thing about MSF.. you have to remember that time is VERY limited and the course is designed to take someone who's never ridden a motorcycle and give him most basic skills to practice riding safely.
The reason we don't teach dragging rear brake is because this is an advanced skill. Our priority in MSF is safety and we explain that motorcycle is very good at speeding up and at stopping, but not at doing both at the same time. We want you to keep throttle and brake separate.. because even by end of MSF you've only been on a motorcycle for 10 hours!
I can pretty much guarantee that the reason you're leaning to the side when you're coming to a stop is because you're looking down. Practice keeping your eyes up and straight ahead as you come to full stop.
You can also sign up for ABRC (abbreviated course.. just the riding portion.. to get more practice and coaching).
My personal FZ6 experience: 1st gear is quite short and friction zone is very short.. it's east to pull the clutch in too much and lose power to rear wheel, which can cause a drop if the bike is well-leaned over. So.. I found the easiest way to do u-turns and general tight maneuvers on FZ6 was to just cover the clutch and drag rear brake.. no need to be in friction zone. Your mileage may vary, but this technique worked very well for me.
Wear proper gear and keep practicing .. you'll keep getting better :thumbup:

WhizzBang

Hot FZ6 Lovin'
Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents worth because I can...

Been riding for a while on small and large bikes and the FZ6 would be the most capable I've owned in terms of speed and handling. If someone were to ask me if it's a good bike to start off on I would say no. Nothing to do with the power of the bike, just because bikes of new riders are prone to abuse! An older bike is far more forgiving. However given the choice, I would have gladly traded in my girlfriend's mother for the FZ6 when I was a 17yr old shopping for my first roadie.

Anyways, my only advice would be to practice your hard braking and braking in/into turns. The Fazer has awesome brakes but you gotta know how to use them! And never follow too close and always assume they haven't seen you.

Maybe you could look at buying a lowered FZ6 spring to get your feet closer to the ground, until you feel like you've mastered everything?

WhizzBang

Hot FZ6 Lovin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the thing about MSF.. you have to remember that time is VERY limited and the course is designed to take someone who's never ridden a motorcycle and give him most basic skills to practice riding safely....

Some great advice there Erci, obviously you're one of the more experienced around here! :thumbup:

By the sounds of it your MSF is similar to what we call the Q-Ride course. I was always a bit sceptical that a day course, which effectively lets loose a rider that may never have even sat on a bike the day before, could be better than the old Learner/Provisional system. But the fact is, all it did was force L-plated riders into breaking the law because it wasn't always possible to have an experienced rider tail you everywhere.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding dirt bikes all my life and had a Kawasaki 440 LTD when I was in college. Roll the clock forward 25 years. Hadn't ridden on the road since college. Decided to get back. Came here and researched. Went there and researched. Ended up buying an FZ1. I'm a big guy, 6'3", 255lbs and am always told be people to buy a big bike. I sold it 6 months later. It was just too much bike for me. The FZ6 suits me much better. But, it can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly.

It doesn't matter what CC bike you ride. There still is so much to learn riding two wheels. My biggest hang up right now is emergency braking. I know what I should do. I took an advanced braking class. I practice. But when the times comes that I am forced into an emergency braking situation, I mess up. I did it twice the other day on my commute to/from work. One on the freeway, in heavy traffic, doing 65 mph and forced to come to a complete stop very quickly. I ended up locking up the rear and sliding around a bit. On the way home, I misjudged a yellow light and had to stop hard before a car made a left turn in front of me. I have this stupid idea that I can simulate ABS with the front brake lever. I stopped, but it wasn't pretty. I need to just S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E. So, guess what I will be doing in some parking lots and backroads this weekend?

It sounds like you are on the right track. Respect the bike. Open your mind to learning. Never stop practicing. Have fun. :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone has given great advice so I will just add that because the FZ6 has a short friction zone on the clutch, it is important to make sure your clutch cable is adjust properly and lubricated. I lubed a clutch cable for one of our members a few weeks ago and he couldn't believe the difference!

katlikeafox

Reaction score
Visit site
ronsonol, don't get discouraged! I took the MSF course in October and bought a 2006 FZ6 in November. I'm also 5'5" and 125. I live in the heart of Houston so my drops, usually at stop lights or stop signs, were particularly public and embarrassing (I always feel like people pay more attention to mistakes I make and blame it on me being a female rider, not a new rider). However, I made some mods to the bike, shaved down the seat, and started riding every day in January. I went from terrified of the bike to back in love with it and my skills improved as my time on the bike got longer. I'm by no means a great rider, I'm uber cautious and actually rode on the highway for the first time ever today, but no amount of reading or teaching could replace just getting on the road and trying it every day.
Don't put yourself in any situations you aren't comfortable with is a good motto, but if you never push yourself just a little out of the comfort zone, you're not going to get out of the neighborhood and fall in love with the machine you put good money into.
That's my two cents.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i more layed mine down a copuple times since i had it ... i`m 6.1 13 stone whatever that converts to ... i say laid it down cause me careing more for the bike than my self being me have managed to lower it as it fell from standstill and only jump clear when bout a couple inches from floor luckily ... also the crash pegs saved damage luckily ...

infact i did it yesterday after a no problem ride ...got to a mates house n stopped ...turned to sharp to move round a parked car which then because the front wheel was too far round meant it kept going and i couldnt hold it up ...bit embarrising but have to just choose some choice words n pick it up ... some more choice words ...check bike ... carry on .
We all make silly and most times embarrising mistakes with these bikes and others .. even the veterans who have riden for years . dont let it discourage you .. just get back on n keep going :thumbup:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Anyways, definitely won't be hitting the road until I feel more confident doing figure 8's at slow speed (5mph or less). Turning left is always easier than right for some reason, but I've found online to use the rear brake and keeping the clutch in the friction zone and that helps a lot! Didn't learn that at MSF (still a little bitter that I didn't get super trained)
Being super cautious, trying to be smart about everything, and hoping to learn.

Dude, your attitude alone is worthy of comment. Tween you and i, slow is the only times i've dropped my bike too :welcome:

Everybody makes the mistakes, NOT everybody works at improving their weak points ... good luck to you!!