New Rider With New Bike

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
New to the Forums, new to riding , and have a new (well new to me bike). I have purchased a 2006 FZ6 with 22000km (13,700 miles for those of us south of the border). I am excited to get out on it. I just need to put a new back tire on it as it has a hole and it should be good to go. I've done some minor fairing work with JB weld to the plastic as it had some minor cracks. Just curious as to what is a good oil to run it in when I do an oil change before the summer riding season , as well if anyone could recomend any maintenance tips for a bike with this high of mileage aka things to check over. Everything appears in excellent condition. Also , does anyone have any good beginner riding tips for this bike?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
1st ATGATT, not everybody does and that's their choice but it's my advice :D

2nd as far as maintenance check your tire pressures and chain slack (especially after periods of non use like winter). Tire pressure can affect everything from turn in reaction to tire wear to gas mileage.

I don't know how much riding experience you have but myself among others would highly recommend a MSF course of some type, we even have a few instructors among us :thumbup:

As far as learning on the FZ, take it slow, don't try to learn too fast so you can keep up with buddies. It's a fiesty engine and you've got to respect it.

Lot's of great knowledge and knowledgeable people on this forum!

Welcome and have fun with it! also
images

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: from Texas.

+1 ATGATT.:thumbup:

Take the steps to get your license and take a safety course.:cheer: The FZ can be a beast.:eek:

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ATGATT sorry I dont know what this means..newbie eh! thanks for the advice. I have experience riding dirtbikes , sleds , quads...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
First rule of motorcycle maintenance, never ask what oil to use on a internet forum. Just buy a oil that is made for wet clutch motorcycles at a viscosity recommended in your owners manual.

As for the rest of the maintenance it's all in the owners manual. If you don't have one get one.

Oh... and have fun and be safe.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Have my safety course scheduled for the Beginning of May. My girlfriend has been riding for years on a ninja 500 so I am excited to get out and tour with her this summer. Looking forward to saving gas and taking the scenic route!

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ATGATT sorry I dont know what this means..newbie eh! thanks for the advice. I have experience riding dirtbikes , sleds , quads...

All The Gear, All The Time ...Simply saying to stay protected EVERY time you ride by wearing full riding gear.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

ATGATT =All The Gear All The Time

We have a sticky on it :)
HTML:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/37522-rock-gear-skinned-alive.html

Again i view it as personal choice but as a fellow rider we'd hate to see anybody seriously injured if it could have been prevented with gear :thumbup:

I don't know what you guys have for motorcycle safety programs up in Canada but they are well worth it, especially if you're new to the street. Always good to learn things the right way:thumbup:... If you can afford to take a class, it's worth every penny

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody notice a performance difference between running 87 octane and 94 octane?

Can't speak for the FZ6 but in a Versys it's noticeable, not hugely noticible but she tends to run a little smoother on the 94.

Oh and regarding the miles (KMs) IIRC (others will correct me if im wrong) you shouldn't have to check the valves on the fz until 22k miles (?)

Last edited:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
travfz6 said:

ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. Helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves (minimum).

Welcome to the wonderful world of riding sports bikes! I also recently bought an FZ6 with about the same mileage. Best thing to do is just take it to a mechanic and have them go right over the bike. If you're unsure of when the last service was done, just get one done. You could also consider replacing the air filter and spark plugs. Also, check charging system and battery.

Major service (valve clearances) won't be due until 40000kms (nice one Yamaha!) so you're laughing.

As for riding tips, the FZ6 is a fairly easy bike to ride and shouldn't get you into too much trouble if you're level headed and take it slowly. Avoid rapid downshifts and be aware that things get crazy above 8k rpms.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

In your first few posts, you've asked what ATGATT is, what oil to use and fuel grade. :rockon:

There is a search function, but folks here are real friendly anyway since you're in the Fazer clan.

BTW, let's see your bike. Plz share a pic!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody notice a performance difference between running 87 octane and 94 octane?

LMAO! :rof: You're asking questions on some of the more controversial subjects we run in to!

You're going to fit in fine here! :rof:

:welcome:to our big happy awesome forum! :BLAA:

The manual says 87 is okay for the FZ6. :)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

first off welcome to the greatest forum, and to answer your question
for me a big yes, lower octane more sluggish performance and lower mpg.
I have only ever had two tanks of low octane, the first from the dealer and by mistake late one night..... but thats another story!
Couldnt wait to get to empty.
as your a newbie stay with the low octane until you have done the course

ride safe

oh yeah.... pics????

Last edited:

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't speak for the FZ6 but in a Versys it's noticeable, not hugely noticible but she tends to run a little smoother on the 94.

Oh and regarding the miles (KMs) IIRC (others will correct me if im wrong) you shouldn't have to check the valves on the fz until 22k miles (?)

26k is the first valve check.

chucknorris

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: from a fellow Canadian even thought I'm across the country.Great group here with great info.And yes Pic's please:rockon:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I use mobil10w40 4t synthetic from walmart , and run only premium,with K&N oil filter.

travfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's folks. Looking forward to the snow melting so I can get out on'r probably mid-end april here in Alberta. Got some gear ordered. Just need to get my new rear tire mounted , oil change , air filter , and I am good to go!