New rider, questions on riding technique

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
The freeway question: you need to look ahead far enough to not have to make a quick stop when leaned over, but if you ARE in such a situation, do you best to reduce lean angle if situation permits. Once bike is upright you can apply maximum braking. If there is no option to straighten the bike up apply both brakes GENTLY.. if you're not leaned way over and road is in good shape, you won't low side. Just make sure the bike is fully straight before you come to full stop. Ideally though, you need to work on looking as far ahead as possible and setting reasonable entry and exit speed to avoid these situations.

You can also practice for it in a lot by going into a turn and then quickly straightening the bike up and applying maximum braking.

personally i'd avoid using both brakes if you are a novice, especially in a panic situation. If you lock both wheels up then the bike WILL fall over. The rear wheel is very easy to lock up, and isn't going to do much anyway.

For a fast stop it's probably better to clutch in (to prevent the bike driving the wheel), and just use the front brake, and then when you are almost at a stop using the rear. As said though try and get the bike upright, so that the tyre isn't trying to do two things at once

The thing to note though is that you should never end up in this situation. You should always try to ride to a speed so that you can stop at any point. If the corner is tight and you can't see around it then don't go hell for leather. Same on the motorway, if you're going around a bend, Then ensure that you are able to stop if you need to.

Another alternative if for example it's wet and you're really in the ****, try and find an escape route. As a bike is narrow you may be able to lane split. This will give you extra time to stop. Be aware however that cars may pull out in front of you, especially if you're going fast. The important thing is not to target fixate on the car in front of you, and look at the gap, as otherwise you will hit the car in front. :)

One more thing, if you're going around a corner, and it's tighter than you expected, chances are you will make it, just countersteer harder, and look where you want to go. Don't try and brake or straighten the bike up, or you definitely won't make it. Chances are the bike will be fine, it's just you that are having doubts. I was told by the police also not to roll off the throttle, however I do this myself (gently)

The main thing to realise is that unless you want a very short biking career, you have plenty of time to learn these things, take it slow, build up your skill levels, coordination and reflexes. Do some extra training, and try and learn as much as possible.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For a fast stop it's probably better to clutch in (to prevent the bike driving the wheel), and just use the front brake, and then when you are almost at a stop using the rear. As said though try and get the bike upright, so that the tyre isn't trying to do two things at once

Have to disagree with you, Greg. Using just the front brake when leaned over is likely to increase your chances of low-siding. You're asking front tire to do all the steering and all the braking at the same time.. not a good idea. When the bike is totally straight, you can absolutely use just the front brake hard enough to completely lift rear wheel off the ground, but that won't work well in a turn.

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to disagree with you, Greg. Using just the front brake when leaned over is likely to increase your chances of low-siding. You're asking front tire to do all the steering and all the braking at the same time.. not a good idea. When the bike is totally straight, you can absolutely use just the front brake hard enough to completely lift rear wheel off the ground, but that won't work well in a turn.

I'm gunna agree with Erci. The last thing you want to do in a turn is jab on the front brake. Start braking with the rear brake. This will do three things, 1. start to slow the bike 2. start to straighten up the bike 3. start to transfer weight to the front wheel. If rear brake is not going to be enough to stop you before a collision, look for an escape route and gradually apply front brake as well. Locking up a rear brake will not be as hard to recover from as a locked front brake. But as previous posters have said, use your eyes, look ahead and pay attention to avoid getting into these situations.

bearmann21

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lurking here for awhile, but I've never really felt the urge to contribute. The question about turning from the bike lane made me want to say something though. The best advice I was given when I started street riding was to realize that I have the same right to the road as all the giant cars around me. You want the cars to see you. Never make yourself inconspicuous so the cager behind you can save .2 seconds on their commute. Your life is worth much more than that.

Enjoy the bike though. The transmission takes a bit to get used to, the turbulence is annoying, the factory seat is hard, the lack of factory dual-headlights is perplexing....but at the end of the day it's a great do-it-all machine that makes you smile ALL THE TIME!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off thanks on the tips about shifting. My shifting is getting smoother by the minute!!!!!

I encountered something new today on the way to work need some tips.

I came to a stop on a hill, i was the first person at the light. As soon as i stopped and put my foot down, half way down the light turned green. I had to put both feet down because the bike started rolling backwards and my toes couldnt hold it. I stalled out and then started and revved it pretty high and took off.

What are you supposed to do in that situation? Just get good enough to start on a hill before you get your bearings down? Im going to practice this tonight lol

Have you taken the MSF class? Seems like all your questions would have been answered there.

As far as practicing starting out on a hill, special skill is required. My advise is to practice in an empty parking garage. Use the ramps going from one level to the next to help you find out which way works best for you.

Some people prefer having both feet on the ground, which will require you to keep the front brake lever squeezed until you are ready to roll. You need to have your clutch at the beginning of the friction zone as you slowly release the front brake as you roll on the throttle and ease out the clutch.

The other method is putting the left foot down and keeping the right foot on the rear brake as explained earlier.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been lurking here for awhile, but I've never really felt the urge to contribute. The question about turning from the bike lane made me want to say something though. The best advice I was given when I started street riding was to realize that I have the same right to the road as all the giant cars around me. You want the cars to see you. Never make yourself inconspicuous so the cager behind you can save .2 seconds on their commute. Your life is worth much more than that.

Enjoy the bike though. The transmission takes a bit to get used to, the turbulence is annoying, the factory seat is hard, the lack of factory dual-headlights is perplexing....but at the end of the day it's a great do-it-all machine that makes you smile ALL THE TIME!
I agree with everything you have stated about this bike LOL. I fixed the dual headlight thing with the $35 relay kit motogiro sells. I highly recommend it.

As far as turning from the bike lane, i think i described it wrong.

What i meant is: Say traffic is at a halt at a stop light in front of you about 20 cars deep. You want to turn right at the red light. Do you guys use the bike lane to cruise down past all the stopped cars to turn right?? Or do you just wait in line until its your turn.

I ask because i was told you always split lanes on the drivers side. I dont split lanes yet but using the bike lane wold give you plenty of room in some instances on the right side.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with everything you have stated about this bike LOL. I fixed the dual headlight thing with the $35 relay kit motogiro sells. I highly recommend it.

As far as turning from the bike lane, i think i described it wrong.

What i meant is: Say traffic is at a halt at a stop light in front of you about 20 cars deep. You want to turn right at the red light. Do you guys use the bike lane to cruise down past all the stopped cars to turn right?? Or do you just wait in line until its your turn.

I ask because i was told you always split lanes on the drivers side. I dont split lanes yet but using the bike lane wold give you plenty of room in some instances on the right side.

This is a tough one. Of course you don't want to stand there and wait, BUT.. potential issue with trying to use bike lane in this case is if the light turns green as you're 1/2 way up the lane.. the cars start moving and you better believe the guy about to make a right will NOT see you.
In NJ, right turn is allowed on red, so there would be a good chance that the 1st car in line was waiting to make the right and once again I guarantee you the driver will not check his right mirror before making the turn.
So I would say if safety is your goal, using bike lane for this maneuver is not a good call.