New rider & new member - 2007 FZ6

caelanseth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background. I have grown up around powersports but the majority of my experience is in the dirt. I have owned several ATVs & dirtbikes - a Blaster, Banshee, YZ 125, and Scrambler 500. I have ridden a few motorcycles, but never had one to call my own,I have been telling myself that once I graduate college and get my career started I am going to get a street bike. I have finally accomplished that goal and I could not be happier. I picked up this 2007 FZ6 for $3900. It has 6600 miles and appears to be near spotless. I thought I got a pretty good deal, as a competing shop wanted $5100 for similar bike. In the past 4 days I'v logged about 350 miles and have been commuting to work each day (60 mile RT) and am having a blast on this bike. There are a few things that I have found that I do not like that Ill list below and maybe somehow will have some suggestions or tips on remedies.

- 1st, the bike seems to really buzz a lot from 7-8500K, right as its getting into the fun part. Although I dont have alot to compare to, there just seems to be a lot of high frequency vibration and buzzing. Could be normal, but I don't like it because I cannot smoothly cruise around in an RPM just before the sweet spot. Iv had a lot of fun going around corners around 7500 rpm and hitting the throttle and having instant power. 5-6000 is so much smoother, but not an instant hit when I roll on the throttle unless I slip the clutch a bit.

- I wasnt quite prepared for the wind blast. This is probably inexperience, butI don't like to ride tucked for extended periods, and above 60 I get alot of wind on my chest. I might try upgrading my screen, as part of the reason I got this bike was to commute comfortably, as well as have fun on and gain experience.

- The gearbox is a tad clunky, especially when downshifting. I have no problems with the clutch or friction zone (as I have read some people have) but the tranny can be a bit noisy. It is not bad, but far from buttery smooth.

Other than that I am very happy and life is good:rockon: I look forward to many miles on this bike and am glad to be a part of the motorcycle community.

edit: embed fail. Can you not use the insert tab from FB photos? If so, I will try to post some pics from my home PC later.

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, less than what I paid!

The gearbox is clunky I feel you on that.

I myself haven't found the bike to be buzzy, but maybe that's because I'm coming from a 250?

Anyways welcome aboard!

:welcome:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum, Excellent year bike too!

Re the vibes, a throttle body sync would likely help with the vibes but in the upper end of the RPM's you'll see some vibes. There's numerous posts syncing the throttle bodies, even purchasing your own tool is cheaper than letting yamaha do it and its fairly easy to do..

If you can get used to "Grip Puppies" foam covers for the grips, they get rid of a lot of the vibes in the grips.

I've found the better the oil, the better the engine shifts, runs in general. Holding the clutch in for a second or two makes shifting a little smoother too. Keeping the clutch cable lubed also helps a bunch shifting up and down too..

A big thing to watch is the chain play. The FZ likes about 2" total up and down, on the centerstand(at the tightest point). Its looser than most every bike and its not unusual for mechainics to overtighten it.

Hit the search button and you'll find all kinds of good information here.

Welcome again and ride safe!