New rider..first impression

tylermonster

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

FZ6 - first impression from a beginner...

I bought a 2004 FZ6 with 8000 miles a week ago and its been sitting in my garage until last night, it was really torturous staring at that monster in my garage and not being able to legally ride it. I just completed the MSF basic rider course on Friday and got my M endorsement. I have to say the bike is incredibly fun and easy to ride, I was a little nervous about being a semi-beginner and handling a bike with that much potential power. I've read all these reviews that the engine was peaky and took away from the overall satisfaction of the motorcycle, but to me, I appreaciate the power curve becase I can easily stay away from the peak HP and have plenty of beginner-friendly power at the lower RPM's. Also, while the clutch has a very thin friction zone, it took me less than an hour to get used to it. I've never been on a street bike like this before, so my opinion is obviously relative, but it feels very well balanced (when swerving it somehow feels much more balanced and even lighter than the nighthawk 250 from the MSF course) and has impressive and yet very managable stopping power. I'm sure that I'll find out the quirks and annoyances as I become more experienced and push the bike a little further but right now the bike feels amazing and very non-threatening/managable/confidence builder as long as you are responsible and careful. As a bit of a larger rider, 6'1 240lbs, I dont have any comfort issues and the bike fits my frame well. Thanks for all the good info posted here daily and I hope that I will be able contribute in the future.

By the way, I had the dealership run a check on the history of this 2004 and I'm suprised that the previous owner never took care of the TPS and a front sprocket secruing washer(something like that I forget what its called) recalls. Well thats the first thing I need to get done - other than that I plan to do most of the general maintainence myself - already changed the oil - prob have to change spark plugs next.

Last edited:

wobbit

Reaction score
Visit site
good review, the fz6 was also my first "big bike" having only ridden 125ccs in the past. i agree its easy to live with as a begginer, not threatning and too powerful like all the dealers were telling me. ;)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, good review.

The FZ6N is my first big bike - previous have been trail bikes and a CBF250. Big difference in power, acceleration and braking to previous bikes.

When I finally get to ride my husbands bikes - XJR1300 and Speed Triple 1050 - I will no doubt be shocked again at the difference between the FZ6 and the bigger bikes.

Keep posting and keep safe.