New owner with a few questions.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone I am new to the forum and recently bought a 2008 Fz6 with 6500 miles from a BMW dealer in Fredericksburg VA who took it in as a trade-in. I love the bike so far and I think I got a pretty good deal but I have been researching and noticed a few things I had questions about.

1. The bike has a Hyperpro rear spring installed and I am trying to figure out if it is the 30mm lower version or the stock height version. Is there any specific way I can find this out? I measured the seat height with the bike straight up to be about 31" exactly with a full tank of gas which seems pretty close to the stock spec.

2. I believe some items have been painted on the bike since I have looked around and have not seen it on similar bikes. The exhaust covers are black as well as the rear passenger pegs and the trim pieces on the radiator. I love the look and it looks pretty well done so this is really only out of curiosity.

A little about me, I am a Electronics Engineer that lives in the DC area and just switched from an sv650s so I can get a little more upright riding position and don't have to contort my 35" inseam so much under the tank grooves.

Finally here are a few pics so you don't get too bored reading my first post here. (taken with my cell phone, horrible quality I know, I am sorry) The bike came with a center stand and a set of Oxford heated grips (these saved me on the ride home from the dealer, 36 miles in 38 degree darkness). I think all it needs right now is a fresh oil change and a new front tire.

2011-02-23_20-43-04_850.jpg

2011-02-23_20-42-41_650.jpg

2011-02-23_20-43-36_610.jpg

Old bike for good measure.

bike.jpg

Last edited:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it. This forum is great and is full of people who are more than happy to help. I am not absolutely sure on the radiator trim for that year but I do know that my 06 is not black. I know that the exhaust trim is not black from the factory so that must be aftermarket.

Good looking bike and :welcome: to the forum

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
2. I believe some items have been painted on the bike since I have looked around and have not seen it on similar bikes. The exhaust covers are black as well as the rear passenger pegs and the trim pieces on the radiator. I love the look and it looks pretty well done so this is really only out of curiosity.

Yep, looks like the exhaust cover, triple clamp cover and radiator panels have been painted! Looking good though :thumbup: The passenger footpegs are black as stock.

Welcome to the forum!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum!

I think everyone above has answered your questions regarding the painting of various components. As the for the shock, you could always run a tape measure from eye to eye of the shock with the bike on the centerstand and have someone with a stocker' do the same.

Your last picture looked familiar..check out my second bike:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this great forum and motorcycle! You will enjoy your FZ6 for sure. Great motorcycle. Ride safe and have fun. :rockon:

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
Also another question I had, where can I buy a front tire and what should I get? The rear has been replaced pretty recently with another Stock Dunlop I believe. Is the Sportmax D252 still made? I will eventually switch over to metzelers but I was planning to replace the front and wait till the rear is more worn to go ahead and make the switch. What front tire should I get to go with my new stock rear tire?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:5Spoke! The FZ6 is a great bike and this forum is even greater! Awesome group of people here. It looks like you're pretty familiar with bikes already. You'll wonder if you're on the same bike you left the house on when you start playing that motor above 8k. Have fun!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also another question I had, where can I buy a front tire and what should I get? The rear has been replaced pretty recently with another Stock Dunlop I believe. Is the Sportmax D252 still made? I will eventually switch over to metzelers but I was planning to replace the front and wait till the rear is more worn to go ahead and make the switch. What front tire should I get to go with my new stock rear tire?

You know you'll get varying opinions on this but I'll suggest id the rear is fairly recent rubber I would try to replace it with a like tire because of compound matching and physical profile. If you're a seasoned rider and are not going to push it you could use something else if it's more economically suited to you. You could find a good deal on a set of tires and change them both out and keep the rear as a spare. But probably the spare will just sit in the garage and dry out.
The type of riding you do will obviously be a big factor. I usually get great deals on the Bridgestone BT-016's (around 200 bucks) but they're a stickier tire and I don't get great miles off them.
You'll no doubt hear from a lot of different tire camps on this forum.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
You know you'll get varying opinions on this but I'll suggest id the rear is fairly recent rubber I would try to replace it with a like tire because of compound matching and physical profile. If you're a seasoned rider and are not going to push it you could use something else if it's more economically suited to you. You could find a good deal on a set of tires and change them both out and keep the rear as a spare. But probably the spare will just sit in the garage and dry out.
The type of riding you do will obviously be a big factor. I usually get great deals on the Bridgestone BT-016's (around 200 bucks) but they're a stickier tire and I don't get great miles off them.
You'll no doubt hear from a lot of different tire camps on this forum.

My plan was to just replace the front with a like tire for now and then replace both together when they are both showing some wear. The rear I have is almost new and I really don't want to waste it. My question I guess is whats a similar tire to the D252's, where these tires replaced with a new/differently named model? I am having trouble finding them. I have seen the Sportmax Roadsmart and Q2, do either of these make a good partner for my stock rear?

Thanks again for the help.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum..

as for tires, i love my pirelli st angels.. great grip wet and dry.. good looking bike by the way..

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice touches on the 08. You're going to find a lot of mods on this site. One that comes to mind and everyone raves aboout is bd43's dual headlight mod, best of all it's something you can knock out In a couple hours with some wire and connectors. As far as tires most seem to be in to michelins pilot road 2ct, battleaxe bt016, and various pirelli's. Have fun.