New Owner and an INSANE Deal - Chicago

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally did it.

Some background: I've been on craigslist for WEEKS looking for the right bike for me. I was between getting an SV650 and an FZ6 as my first bike. Every bike I found either had a ****load of miles, was too far away, or was way out of budget. Until I found an odd listing for a 2006 Yamaha "FX6" that definitely LOOKED like an FZ6. I called the guy and asked him some general questions and when he was available so I could see the bike in person. He told me the bike had 700 something miles on the odometer, and I almost thought it was too good to be true.

I brought a friend along because I don't know **** about motorcycles. Anyway, we get to the house not knowing what to expect, wondering if the bike had sat neglected for ~10 years.
I called the guy up and he opened the garage.

UVkmNUq.jpg

This is what was sitting there. It was beautiful.
(and DEFINATELY an FZ6)
The guy was a mechanic and was selling it because his wrist got messed up in a motorcycle accident some years ago, only had about 15% ROM in his wrist due to a recent surgery.

The tires are still slick from the factory, the bike was stored perfectly, no battery tender - instead the guy put a new battery in altogether, the oil was CLEAR since he changed it as soon as he bought it from the last guy (when it had 300 miles)

Guys I bought myself a motorcycle today. A (practically) brand new motorcycle.

I couldn't be happier with it.

2006 Yamaha FZ6 with 780 (now 810) miles. For $3000.

zYAK3M7.jpg

He even threw in a bike cover and a spare key.

I'm so ecstatic about my new bike. My FIRST bike. I almost can't describe it in words.

Thanks for reading guys
/blog

H1iQyTJ.jpg

VY4mBJj.jpg

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! Beautiful bike!

--
Sent from the restaurant at the end of the universe, probably using a PC, an iPhone or an iPad.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats man, where abouts around Chicago are you?

Also with a bike that old I would change the tires ASAP.

When I got my bike it also had very little miles, it was a 2009 that I purchased in 2013. The tires were dry and then some rather scary. I can imagine your bike is even worse.

orient

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

Tires are the first thing on my list, I'll definitely get some in the next week.
I'm still recovering after spending $200 to register it and $250 for insurance plus the $3k for the bike itself. (especially since my original budget for everything was <$3k)
After some time I'll be getting new exhausts but for now I don't mind keeping the bike stock (mechanically at least) for a while. In terms of looks, the guy I bought it from got a fender eliminator and switched out the front signals for smaller ones. It's all very tastefully done. I doubt I'll be streetfighter-ing it any time soon.

I'm located in Orland Park, in the south suburbs.

Any tips for me as a new owner?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to another Chicagoan! That's a good deal right there, just make sure you replace the tires like Benji mentioned. You won't have anything worn out, but old seals may be dried out and leaking so keep your eyes open.

Another big point... You're still in the break in period for that motor, so follow the guidelines in the service manual and you should have a beautiful running machine!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!

same year as mine, 2006!

I've owned mine since it had 1 mile on it, brand new.

Tips:

That thing has been doing a LOT of sitting with old fuel. I would run a can of seafoam through the gas tank to help to dissolve the garnish and deposits that are sure to be in the lines, fuel pump, injectors, TB's etc. I would also run premium fuel for the first several tanks at least. In my experience these engines run smoother on premium fuel and premium fuel will help clean and keep the fuel system clean though this bike does run fine on 87 octane which is what most owners use.

Look into syncronizing the throttle bodies. These bikes aren't well synced from the factory and after that many years they need it and it will make the engine run noticeably smoother.

Flush the brake fluid! It should be done at least every 3-4 years but it's recommended to do it every year! It takes DOT 4 fluid. Bleed out the old and add new and bleed till it's all flushed through! When I did mine for the first time in 2010 it made a good difference in brake feel.

Change the coolant! After 4 years mine looked like nasty brown water! Now I change it every 2 years.

Treat the dust seals on the forks with silicone spray or silicone grease often. they start to crack and eventually will let water and gunk down into the forks and mess up the main fork seals.

Enjoy the ride! This is a great bike and you will not regret choosing it over the SV650S. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From one of the highest mileage owner to the lowest, welcome and congrats.

You were asking for advice on what you should do as a new owner? What kind of riding experience or formal training do you have riding a bike? Also what are you planning to wear as far as safety gear? More the better.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Nice find! I think others pretty well have it covered! Tires and dry rot. Many cases super low miles can be as bad or worse than super high. But I am betting if you just keep an eye on her she should treat you well!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Taz3

Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone else is saying, great find! And dry rot! I've heard of a spray you can coat old tires in and keep them wrapped for a bit to refresh them, but haven't looked into it. Depending on what you're looking to do with your miles, I recommend Pirelli Angel ST or GT's. Amazing tires, so happy with my ST's.

Take a safety course. Lee Park's Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic was awesome, and you don't need to be an advanced rider or have track intentions either, it's designed to make everyone safer and more comfortable on their bikes.

ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time: Boots, jeans, jacket, helmet, gloves at the minimum for me, if I'm doing a short ride on slower roads. Any hwy riding or longer distances and I've got textile pants with armour and mid calf touring boots to add to that.

Start recording everything. Mileage you change the oil, etc. Keep all your receipts. File it all together. This will help you sell for a better price should you need to, and help you track issues that may come up with the bike that may not seem obvious (like the iridium spark plugs causing decreased mileage I recently read about on here).

Before considering after market exhaust, I strongly urge any/all of the following: frame sliders, crash cage (engine guards), front axle slider/spools, rear axle slider/spools, bar end sliders. I learned the hard way that it's cheaper to invest in those first, lol!

Those are the main things I've learned over my riding, and with this bike in particular. Easy to do most of the work on it yourself too. Have fun and be safe!!