New Member w/ Buying Question!

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm from NE Ohio and will hopefully be purchasing an FZ6 soon! I'll be selling my GS500F tomorrow hopefully, and I've found a red 2007 FZ6 w/ 3400 miles on it for sale at a local dealership for $5700. I don't have too much negotiation experience and I want to bring it down a bit. My dad said that he usually offers them 10% below blue book, which in this case is $5400. I prefer to haggle in OTD terms, because who knows what kind of fees they'll try adding. If I take 10% off of the KBB value, add $150 dealer fee, and the local sales tax, I get roughly $5300 out the door. Is it likely they'll take that much? They have 4 similar bikes there, and this one has been there for about a month, the others even longer. The salesman was reading the price off of a sheet (its big dealership, the bike was in the warehouse out back) and he read the price as $5700 but immediately said he could knock a few hundred off and get the price down to $6k out the door.

I haven't got to test drive an FZ6 but I sat on it with the girlfriend and we were both pretty comfortable. She wasn't as comfortable as she is on my 1982 Yamaha Maxim 750, but I'm hoping that will change w/ an aftermarket seat and backrest.

Thanks for listening, I'm glad to be here!

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of it will depend on the dealer and the local demand.

I can only relate my own experience. About two months ago I found three brand new 07 FZ6's at my local dealer. They wanted to get rid of them before the 09s came out. The sticker price was $6450. In two weeks they were all gone. I took the last one and paid $5800. Any fees they added were included in that.

I let them know that my bank was only willing to finance the wholesale value, and offered an insanely low price to start off. (surprised the even bothered to call me back with a counter-offer) A little working with my banker, a little loan stretching, and we were able to make it work out.

Best of luck with your negotiations!

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
If I were you I would look around private party seller if they can't do $5200 out the door. There are plenty of people selling and as you said this bike has been there for a month.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow this place doesn't even have any 2008's leftover, and they're a huge dealership. Probably a good 400+ bikes in inventory just at this location, not to mention a ton of ATV's, jet ski's, scooters, and dirtbikes.

If I were to go in and offer $5200 out the door ($800 cheaper than he told me today), and tell them I was ready to pay right then and there, would they be likely to at least counter offer?

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow this place doesn't even have any 2008's leftover, and they're a huge dealership. Probably a good 400+ bikes in inventory just at this location, not to mention a ton of ATV's, jet ski's, scooters, and dirtbikes.

If I were to go in and offer $5200 out the door ($800 cheaper than he told me today), and tell them I was ready to pay right then and there, would they be likely to at least counter offer?

It's a stealership, so yes they will counteroffer; it's their job. Low ball him for a while and try to get as close to your out the door price as possible. If they refuse to budge, then consider looking for a used through private party.

I wouldn't mention that you're ready to pay right then and there until you get close to the price. If after a while they won't come close just tell them flat out, $2500 cash out the door and see what they say.

Then again, I've never had luck getting a good deal unless it was through someone I knew. Good luck! :thumbup:

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. What they're asking seems a little high to me. Offer low, if they won't work with you then shop around.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot guys. I'm pretty set on getting an FZ6. It's got everything I want: comfort, mid range power, looks slick, and dirt cheap insurance. So you guys should se me around here for quite awhile.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks alot guys. I'm pretty set on getting an FZ6. It's got everything I want: comfort, mid range power, looks slick, and dirt cheap insurance. So you guys should se me around here for quite awhile.

Comfort...your not talking about the stock seat areyou ??:rolleyes:

Steve

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Talking more about seating position haha. Planning on getting a corbin w/ backrest for the girl anyways.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got my GS500F sold yesterday. Headed to the dealership once I get off work in a few minutes. Wish me luck!

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch, shot down.

I offered $5200 out the door, their counter was $5500 plus tax and doc fee, for an otd price of somewhere around $6k, which is the price he told me yesterday.

They wouldn't even deal any on the dust covered 2006 that was sitting next to it.

I guess they're just too high volume to have to worry about it.

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick question...

My understanding of the "Document Fee" is that it is for the drawing up of loan documents?

If I'm paying in cash, shouldn't that fee be waived?

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing they didn't accept my offer!

I just talked with Honda East in Toledo,OH. Setup a deal for a brand new '08 Raven for..... $5850 OTD! Holy crap!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I just talked with Honda East in Toledo,OH. Setup a deal for a brand new '08 Raven for..... $5850 OTD! Holy crap!

That sounds better!!:thumbup: I bought my leftover '07 (back in Jan '08) OTD for $6300. The dealer had a sticker price of $5799. A (then) new '08 was $7199. Some dealers had the lefover models at the new model price, and then jacked up the new models price. It pays to do research and shop around. Hope you get the bike!! You will love it, and this forum!!:welcome:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site

Be sure to ride up to the first dealership you went to, and thank them for being so expensive:thumbup:.

Congrats on the bike!!!!!

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I've run across some dealers like that. One actually expected me to pay the same price for a used Honda 599 that a dealer an hour away was asking for a new 919. There's no reason to feel forced into a shoddy deal. Way too many people out there selling way too many great bikes. It took me about 6 months of steady shopping to match an acceptable price up to a bike I wanted. I have been told i like being difficult though...

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I plan on taking it up there for the first service just to rub it in haha.

My only problem now is that the dealership is 121 away and it's all highway. So the bikes firt 121 miles are going to be freeway and I know thats not a good way to break it in. Not sure what to do, back roads would take forever.

I'm set to pick it up March 21st if the weather is good.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good for you Reese! You learned a valuable lesson today. Never let a Dealer know you are "In Love" with the vehicle cause they will use it against you. And never feel bad about playing one Dealer off against another. All's fair in love, war, and buying bikes.

Enjoy.