New member saying Hi

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

just bought a 2004 Fz6 in Blue. I don't pick it up until Wednesday but I test rode it the other day and thought it was fantastic. Coming from an old Suzuki Bandit 600, the following things stood out:

Incredibly smooth and quiet
Very nice for commuting low down, but turns into a beast when you climb the rev range.
Rider's seat gets quite hot, but strangely the pillion seat kept cool (I guess the fan takes care of that). Will be nice in the winter.
Gear box is fairly clunky but it's not something that would put me off.

I'll be using it for a 4 mile commute each way (I know, not far) and will also be my toy for weekends, and also my only vehicle.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best MC forum on the web!

Pictures when you get it home!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

just bought a 2004 Fz6 in Blue. I don't pick it up until Wednesday but I test rode it the other day and thought it was fantastic. Coming from an old Suzuki Bandit 600, the following things stood out:

Incredibly smooth and quiet
Very nice for commuting low down, but turns into a beast when you climb the rev range.
Rider's seat gets quite hot, but strangely the pillion seat kept cool (I guess the fan takes care of that). Will be nice in the winter.
Gear box is fairly clunky but it's not something that would put me off.

I'll be using it for a 4 mile commute each way (I know, not far) and will also be my toy for weekends, and also my only vehicle.

The "clunky" gearbox is a "feature" Blah Welcome, you made a great choice, especially the faster blue color.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to a great bike and forum!

I have a short commute to my job (maaaybe 3 miles) but my 15mi school commute I get to open my FZ up more :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Plymothian :welcome: to the best forum on the web (well I think so ;)).

Looking forward to seeing your pics (when you pick it up).

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

From one new rider/member to another - welcome to the best biker forum out there!

Something I've already discovered; Clunky shifting from 1-2? Hit higher RPM's before shifting, she smooths out nicely. Blah

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome everyone - having trouble uploading pics, but basically it's a 2004 in Blue, perfect condition, all stock!

So I've had the bike for about 2 weeks now, it's such a buzz. I had a problem with the starter (loose connection, just clicked sometimes instead of starting). The dealership cleaned up the starter relay and it's a bit better, but they are fitting a new relay on Friday which will hopefully sort it. I've been really pleased with the dealers, they've done everything in super quick time.

I've now got used to the gear changes - as others have said, taking the revs higher between 1 and 2 helps. But also I've been used to a different (older) bike so I was in fact changing up a bit hard, it just needs a gentle nudge and it's smoother.

I was on a straight and empty motorway last night so I decided to see what she would do. OMG. Red-lined it from 2nd up to 5th and was already doing stupid MPH, so I left it at that. I don't intend riding fast, but it's nice to see what it's actually capable of, should I ever need to rely on it, like if I'm being chased by giant scorpions.

I'm also impressed with the engine - I've done about 400 miles since it was serviced and the oil is still like new. This may be normal for most of you, but on my older bikes it would be nearly black already.

Next job at the weekend is to clean chain, and rub all the metal with ACF-50.

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Just returned from the dealers, had a new starter solenoid fitted, so all good now (fingers crossed). Wouldn't start at all yesterday so had to bump start it, lucky I was atop a hill.

I'm also impressed that the oil (serviced about 500 miles ago) still looks like new on the dipstick. Is this normal for IL4's? My old 125 turned the oil black after about 300 miles, but it only held 900ml.

Few other questions if you have time to read:

I've downloaded the service interval chart, but still not sure of what needs replacing on the service. I assume plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant. Anything I've missed? I'm hopping to do this myself next time round, is it fairly straight forward?

cheers