New member intro

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
(stands up in the middle of the crowd)

my name is shane i live in the bay area of California.. I have been riding for a few years, my first bike was a oil cooler gsxr 750 street fighter, then a old school alsmot top gun zx10, then a klr which was very good to me up to 155k then the single cyclinder crank gave out, my last bike was a 07 drz400SM which was a great bike but was not a good fit for me.

now i am shopping for a FZ6 with the money from the sale of my drz... trying to read up what i can as far as popular mods, specific maintence needs and faults, if there is a year to shy away from or one to try and get.

i look forward to many miles on my new bike when it finds me, comutting to my new job where ever that might be, oh yea 2-wheels are the only transportation i have had for years so i am not a fair weather hardley rider. Clear my head rides, rides with freinds. very anxious.

any tips for me well be appreciated, i will continues reading stickys and trolling the threads.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you know what trolling actually means, heh.

What I've gathered in my short time here:
-Bike is resilient and can last well up towards 30,40,50 thousand miles or more if you treat it properly and follow maintenance procedures. One of the most common complaints are a far out clutch bite point, snappy throttle response, and heavy clutch. All of which are easy to handle once you're used to it, but can be made less prominent through a number of simplistic fixes.
-You'll ideally want an 06 or 07 model onwards (I'm think 07 more so, but could be wrong) since they are the S2 version which has a number of quality of life changes to it. Look it up on Wikipedia and read the model history

Best of luck in your search!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I'm sure you'll get varying opinions in regards to what model years are best, but my personal rule of thumb is FI over carburetion. But even then, others will disagree. No matter, you will often hear the FZ6 referred to as the swiss army knife of motorcyles and it is (IMHO) true. It can be a docile commuter bike and with the twist of the wrist, become a badass sports bike, with great ergonomics. That's my two cents. Oh, and good luck getting a concensus on the best color. Blah

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
might be mobile again this weekend found a 07 basicaly stock with a few things done but i have to try and find a ride to go look at it... then i found a 06 with visual mods and slip on pipes in my town for about 600 more but has half the miles on it.... now to play the waiting game and see if they hit me back doh

2007 Blue Yamaha FZ6

2006 Yamaha FZ6

thoughts anyone??

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I'd have a slight preference for the 2007. I like the S2 version's analog tach a bit better than the digital one on the S1. I also have a slight pref for the forks and more tapered ends of the swingarm. The difference in mileage is not worth worrying about.

But if you're going to want a louder set of pipes, it's probably a better idea to just get the 2006. The stock pipes are pretty quiet, or so I'm told. The previous owner of my bike took the baffles out of the stock muffler. He did it well though and left the correct length of exit pipe so the sound is well shaped. If you don't want to tinker, it's probably best to get aftermarket pipes - if you want the sound.

Minor differences.

In either case you're looking at the right color! ~smirk~

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
i am leaning towards the louder pipes honestly. and the fact that it is very local since everyone says they will help me with a ride but when it comes to it no one is available... but i have read there are subtle differences between the years... checking out the 06 with pipes tomorow. minimally even if i find enough reason to try and get the 07 on sunday itleast ill get to see a fz6 in person

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the trigger, I am now the owner of an 2006 fz6 with barely 7k miles on it.... Will post pics when I get to a computer... But it is the one linked to above.. Thing is like brand new. Let the madness of day dreaming begin.

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
20150418_190239_zpsxpc2xr7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

shamous

Reaction score
Visit site
yes it is the nicest and most expensive vehicle i have ever had... will see how it holds up with time.. just unloaded my klr that got retired with crank issues at 138k

now searching for the simple mods to plan in my non riding time, and hunting for used hard lugguage before the rainy season arives.