New Member - Hi from Upstate NY

Saratoga Springs is a great place - very scenic.

I am 5'4 and 110 pounds. I am almost flat footed with my riding boots. I plan on doing a lot of day rides and if I really like the bike I'd like to take it to KY to visit my son.

What is "the TPS"?

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. There was a recall to replace them on some of the GEN 1 bikes, '04 to '06. If it hasn't been done your dealer will be able to repair it.

For bags many of us have Cortechs. Cortech :: Luggage

If you need more space and hard side luggage the Givi systems rock. Givi USA

Thanks again for the info. I will definitely take it to a Yamaha dealer when the weather turns to see if the recall has been done. I will check out the frame sliders and luggage that you guys recommended as well.

Hey VegasRider - I was out your way a little over a year ago. I had a training seminar there for work but skipped classes on the last afternoon and went to the local Harley dealer (I know, I know but they were the only dealer I could find that would rent me a bike!) and rented a Sportster for a ride down to the Hoover Dam and then back up to Red Rock Canyon. It is beautiful out there (and warm too)! I'd love to go back some day and stay longer.

I will post some pics as soon as it stops snowing here and everything melts!

Wow - this forum is addicting :)

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info. I will definitely take it to a Yamaha dealer when the weather turns to see if the recall has been done. I will check out the frame sliders and luggage that you guys recommended as well.

Hey VegasRider - I was out your way a little over a year ago. I had a training seminar there for work but skipped classes on the last afternoon and went to the local Harley dealer (I know, I know but they were the only dealer I could find that would rent me a bike!) and rented a Sportster for a ride down to the Hoover Dam and then back up to Red Rock Canyon. It is beautiful out there (and warm too)! I'd love to go back some day and stay longer.

Oh it is, pretty soon you will have withdrawls if you don't get your hourly fix. :eek:

I live right below Red Rock Canyon, maybe less than 10 miles. You can also rent BMW Motorcyles from the BMW Motorcycle Shop too, just in case you wanted to ride something other than a Harley. Ironically, my FZ has never been to the Hoover Damn.

Last edited:
Nice to meet another NYer with the FZ6 bug...and leave it to AJ to get the first welcome, lol. Another Rochester rider here, if you don't want to wait you can always call a dealer to see if the recall was done, they just look up the vin # and it should say. At least thats what I did. Instead of getting there and then having to leave it longer, most dealers are backed way up in the spring. And take appointments only. Welcome to the forum, Jay

Thanks Jay, I will call a dealer tomorrow. There is a dealer that I trust right down the road from where I work.

I hope to be up your way this summer - actually Niagara Falls. I thought that would be a good day trip - maybe even spend the night there. I've never actually been to the falls and they are right in my own back yard! Kind of like VegasRider and the Hoover Dam LOL.

I wish I had known about the BMW dealer - I would much rather have rented a BMW F800ST than a Sportster!

Thanks Jay, I will call a dealer tomorrow. There is a dealer that I trust right down the road from where I work.

I hope to be up your way this summer - actually Niagara Falls. I thought that would be a good day trip - maybe even spend the night there. I've never actually been to the falls and they are right in my own back yard! Kind of like VegasRider and the Hoover Dam LOL.

I wish I had known about the BMW dealer - I would much rather have rented a BMW F800ST than a Sportster!

Well I am sure if you give enough notice me and AJ Rider would love to join you as you pass through on that trip. In Fact with enough notice and a post on here that could be quite a NY FZ6(and others) get together.

I just bought a Silver 05 FZ6 a couple of weekends ago. Anyone have any advice on frame sliders, windscreens or other mods? The bike is sitting in the garage so I HAVE to do something while I'm waiting for it to warm up! (As I post this as we are receiving a foot of new snow today)

In the past I owned all cruisers - this is the first bike I've ever wanted to make mine! Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

I, too, came from the cruiser world and got on an 05 silver fz6. :welcome: I think you'll like it here. All the folks here are good people to talk to. You'll find tons of info (more than you'd probably want!) on here as well.

Hey you Albany and Sartoga riders, let's stay in touch. I'm from the Schenectady area, it would be fun for all of us to meet up for a ride sometime!

welcome to the forum, enjoy the bike (Whenever you can actually ride it again)

Ride lots and post often!

Thank you - at this rate I don't think winter is ever going to end. So, I'm going "bike shopping" today. Something a friend of mine and I do in the winter when we just have to be near bikes. LOL

I think I have the "post often" thing down already - this is way too addicting!
Though I'm still learning and haven't figured this whole thing out yet..like multiple quotes so:

Hey Grunt - I think it's a great idea for the local riders here to keep in touch. We could plan a ride to the Adirondacks or Vermont this summer!

:welcome: to the forum.

Good luck with all your mods! I didn't think I would change a think about this bike until I read more here... :Flash:

I just bought a Silver 05 FZ6 a couple of weekends ago. Anyone have any advice on frame sliders, windscreens or other mods? The bike is sitting in the garage so I HAVE to do something while I'm waiting for it to warm up! (As I post this as we are receiving a foot of new snow today)

In the past I owned all cruisers - this is the first bike I've ever wanted to make mine! Any suggestions are appreciated. :)
Welcome to the the site,

There is lots of advice in the Mod section and the search function will also throw up some answers.
Good luck.

Nelly

Back