New Member: 2005 FZ6

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I just picked up my 2005 FZ6 about 1.5 months ago. I paid a bit of a premium for it, $3,900, but the bike was just about mint - just over 2k miles on it, a really nice tank bag, nice cover and some other goodies (big add-on windscreen that I've since taken off and would only use for touring). The first owner bought it, put 1k miles on it and then let it sit. The second owner bought it, had it fully serviced (gas cleaned out, all fluids drained and replaced, everything lubed and tightened and a new battery) and subsequently put another 1k miles on it in the year he owned it before selling to me.

I was originally looking at a 2012 FZ8 that the dealer was going to sell me for $7,200 + tax title and tags (just over $8,100 out the door, but above my budget).

I really like the 6 and have been having a blast riding it. Throttle is a bit snatchy (rolling back on is difficult to get smooth, or at least difficult to get back on the throttle quickly and smoothly when trying to arrest lean angle after dropping into a turn).

It's got the stock tires on it, which I'm finding to not be too bad (they're not squared off fortunately, but I've scrubbed off a decent amount of chicken strips left by the first two owners (not bragging....there's still plenty left :) )

My first bike was a Ninja 250, followed by a Buell XB12R Firebolt (miss that bike's down-low torque). I like that the FZ6 is tame down low in the revs and then has more to offer above 7-8k RPM. Wishing it had a bit more low end for stop-light take offs.

I've had my moto license for about 5.5 years now, but had a lapse in riding between the Buell and the FZ6 of about 4 years. I wear all my gear (currently in jeans and looking for some good summer riding pants) on every ride and consider it part of the fun of riding (getting all geared up).

Looking to meet some riding buddies from the North Jersey area. PM me. I'm around usually on Sundays to ride and sometimes can take off a Tuesday or Wednesday to ride.

JerseyBoy

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and welcome to the forum..

However, you should really check the dates on the tires. 05-13 is kinda a long time for tires to be sitting (dry rot). Otherwise i would say you got a decent deal considering that it had low low miles and they threw in some goodies!! post up some pictures when you get a chance!!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I just picked up my 2005 FZ6 about 1.5 months ago. I paid a bit of a premium for it, $3,900, but the bike was just about mint - just over 2k miles on it, a really nice tank bag, nice cover and some other goodies (big add-on windscreen that I've since taken off and would only use for touring). The first owner bought it, put 1k miles on it and then let it sit. The second owner bought it, had it fully serviced (gas cleaned out, all fluids drained and replaced, everything lubed and tightened and a new battery) and subsequently put another 1k miles on it in the year he owned it before selling to me.

I was originally looking at a 2012 FZ8 that the dealer was going to sell me for $7,200 + tax title and tags (just over $8,100 out the door, but above my budget).

I really like the 6 and have been having a blast riding it. Throttle is a bit snatchy (rolling back on is difficult to get smooth, or at least difficult to get back on the throttle quickly and smoothly when trying to arrest lean angle after dropping into a turn).

It's got the stock tires on it, which I'm finding to not be too bad (they're not squared off fortunately, but I've scrubbed off a decent amount of chicken strips left by the first two owners (not bragging....there's still plenty left :) )

My first bike was a Ninja 250, followed by a Buell XB12R Firebolt (miss that bike's down-low torque). I like that the FZ6 is tame down low in the revs and then has more to offer above 7-8k RPM. Wishing it had a bit more low end for stop-light take offs.

I've had my moto license for about 5.5 years now, but had a lapse in riding between the Buell and the FZ6 of about 4 years. I wear all my gear (currently in jeans and looking for some good summer riding pants) on every ride and consider it part of the fun of riding (getting all geared up).

Looking to meet some riding buddies from the North Jersey area. PM me. I'm around usually on Sundays to ride and sometimes can take off a Tuesday or Wednesday to ride.

JerseyBoy

:welcome: from Bergen County! I also have a 2005 in Black / Silver and love it.....

This forum has been an invaluable source of technical help, riding tips, and laughs. I know you will settle right in.

Regarding the throttle snatch, I did 3 things that lessened it to a manageable level:
- Did a throttle body sync to smooth out power delivery
- Brought the chain slack into spec. The FZ seems to be very cranky when the chain is not right.
- And most importantly...I rode it a bunch and got used to it. This is my 1st motorcycle, so I have nothing to compare it against, but the once you get used to it, the FZ will roll on nice and smooth...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and welcome to the forum..

However, you should really check the dates on the tires. 05-13 is kinda a long time for tires to be sitting (dry rot). Otherwise i would say you got a decent deal considering that it had low low miles and they threw in some goodies!! post up some pictures when you get a chance!!

+1. Those things are overdue for a change, no matter how good they might look. That rubber has to be rock-hard by now.

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, all, for the warm welcome!!

What's the best way to tell on the tires? From what I know of the bike, the first owner bought the bike and rode it that first season and then it sat in a climate controlled garage. The second owner bought a special shed just for the bike. It's spent it's entire life inside and has never seen rain. (from what I understand, the bike has never even been washed! honestly it's that clean and even the pipes didn't have much heat discoloration on them when I bought it - I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to run it up over 7k rpm for any duration)

The tires do look fine, but as you mention, that may not be the best indicator. I haven't noticed any issues with grip (I do my occasional panic breaking drills and a WOT run up in 2nd gear with no signs of slippage on the rubber).

I don't want to put the bike and myself at risk just for a few hundred dollars, but I sure could use to save that right now :)

What do folks here put on their bikes rubber-wise? I'd be looking for something with good grip but not terrible life-span.

Any more rides coming up the next few Sundays in north-jersey?

Thanks again!

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new ride! As for tires, it's up to you and how you ride. Kinda like "which oil should I use". But I'd get those stock tires replaced ASAP when funds are available.:welcome:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look for a 4 digit number on the sidewalls. Something like 1105, which would mean 11th week of 2005 (hope that makes sense). Rule of thumb is to replace tires after 3-5 years, due to rubber drying up. If you see hairline cracks (dry rut), it's definitely replacement time. If you see none, but tires are over 5 years old, I'd still replace them.

The short answer as to what to get (there are LOADS of threads on this): Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT or 3 CT .. OR Metzeler Z8.

If you're on a budget, Shinko 009 is a great choice.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have stuck with pirelli except for the bridgestone's that came with the bike. i love my current pirelli angels. great drop in, great grip, on track to make the 10k mile mark!! i recommend them :thumbup:

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again all - if I remember correctly, the tires were 2105 or 2205 on the sidewall. Definitely no dry rot but will have to consider replacement. Maybe if any of us me up on a ride together someone can give her a spin and let me know what they feel.

Also thanks for tire recommendations - I need something with decent grip but that will last at least 6-7k miles.

I try to ride fairly smoothly - I lean it in but really work to feather the throttle on to arrest lean.

It does look brand new! (at least it did before I got bugs all over it :). The other FZs I was looking at we're cheaper but all of them had a backstory, a tip over, or way more miles. I have the receipt for the $650 tuneup the last owner had done when he got it from the first owner. Normally I might have haggled more, but the guy was truly nice and the bike was just pristine so it felt like a fair deal (plus I've got a riding buddy as soon as be gets his cruiser). Win-Win for all.

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey :) Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike . :) I got the same exact one. :)

Everyone is right about the tires though. I bought my bike with only a few thousand miles on it and the tires looked good. The owner stated that the tires were the OEM from the factory and I thought it felt okay with no issues to grip.
However, I decided to take the plunge anyways and bought new tires and man... its like night and day difference.

Tires are made from a natural organic compound and with any organic material will eventually go bad. Rubber will naturally harden over time; most of the time they do not harden evenly and since those were made in 2005 it'll be best to get a new pair.... All it takes is that half second where it loses grip through a corner and you'll eating asphalt.

I'm rocking a pair of Metzler Z8 and loving every bit of it, even did a track day on those puppies. :thumbup:

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright then - new tires as soon as I can. Can anyone in north jersey recommend a place to mount and balance?

I saw some things online about doing it yourself with static balances and these harbor freight tire changers with moto adapters. Not sure I'm willing to go that route though.

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all.

I went to my local dealer to get a quote on tire install and balance. They quoted me 85 per tire to mount and balance (if I bring them the bike - apparently it's cheaper if I bring them just the wheels). Is it just me or is that price a bit outrageous?