New Guy, New Bike

FZ6err

Reaction score
Visit site
What's up guys, I hope to learn a lot about my new bike from y'all! Here's the deal, I just bought a 2008 FZ6 w 5,500 miles on it! It has an aftermarket seat and exhaust. I don't know the seat info yet but the exhaust is a MIVV sport power for FZ6 (obviously). The CAT was NOT deleted (I thought that strange). It sounds great and runs pretty well for a bike that's been sitting idle for over a year (PO lost interest in riding for understandable reasons). It needs a good cleaning and the obviously fluid flushes. My question is, what are all the important areas I should pay special attention too? I've never owned a EFI bike so just want to know what tests I should run. I'm a machinist and engineering student so I'm pretty particular about things operating at their best. I just wanted to introduce myself and see what you guys, or gals, have to say before reading the whole damn repair manual.

Paid 3,450 from a private owner for my FZ6
Other bike is a finely tuned 93 Suzuki GS500E

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey welcome from down under. :welcome:
You will get plenty of advice from this forum, we have electrical experts, people that can give you internal engine mods and folk that will play around with looks.
I'm one of the latter, but will dabble a little with advice from everyone, and thats what you'll find here plenty of sound advice...

you probably already know this but better to read it again than find out the hardway....
So, apart from fluids and a good clean, you should have a good look at the rubber. at 5,500 miles, have the tyres been replaced and can you read the date. Tyres have a four digit coded on the wall that give the year and week of that year they were made.

Originals, you should replace anywy but a tyre thats just been sitting could have gone hard- it might look good with plenty of tread but the compound will just not get grippy when warm and can be cause for a lowside- be wary.
I think you'll find your happy with the purchase, thses bikes are pretty solid, there are only a few that have suffered a cracked frame from lifting the nose and maybe coming down hard and one or two with no history of that. It seems that the prime cause is the motor not being torqued down tight enough into the frame. its worth checking that.

theres a few folks that can give you a good heads up on throttle body syncing, I send my bike out for that.
anyway welcome again and the only thing you forgot was a pic
:needpics:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once the fuel level is lower, peak in through the open cap with a flash light looking for rust. The adulterated pump gas we get in the states attracts moisture and sitting with say a 1/4 tank can draw in moisture and form rust.

Sadly the sock style filter doesn't stop much and it takes out the fuel pump and may plug injectors. If rust is found, some clean up will prevent you from walking.

2) would be brake fluid replacement. It also attracts moisture and should be flushed and bleed every two years minimum.
3) coolant flush and fill. It hold 2 qts if drained.
4) fork oil. dump it in favor of 10wt and don't hesitate to over fill a little. Stock fill height is the stroke length or 5.3" (stanchion collapsed, spring out). 4" to 4.3" will take some of the nose dive out of it.

5) engine oil and chain lube.

Use the search function, most things have comments and input on them. FWIW I have a cat delete mid-pipe if that is of interest... It really helps the throttle response.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum on the net. Great group of people here. I sold my FZ6 but still come back for great advice. Miss him at times. Enjoy and keep the rubber side down. ATGATT (the mama in me)...

afx600

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: from a fellow previous GS500 owner. Had a 92 myself..well I still have, but doesn't exactly run. Great little bike for my first, but the FZ6 is way better.

FZ6err

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome folks! The bike is GREAT! Gave it a real good look over as well as oil change, chain clean/lube. Coolant still looks clean although I will flush and replace soon. Same with brake fluid/system. Inside tank looks pristine. Tires can get through the season easily but will purchase a set if I see a good sale pop up. It has a MIVV exhaust on it that sounds great! But, PO gave me the stock muffler and I think I'd rather have that instead. Its a little too loud for long trips which I plan to take many. Is it bad form for a new guy to post stuff for sale here? I put about 500 miles on her in the last 6 days!! Love my GS but must sell it. Can't warrant owning two bikes. Whoever buys it will be getting a TRUE turn key though. I just spent the last weeks of winter (feels good saying that) putting everything to spec with new chain and sprocket. I want to post pics but can't seem to make it work!! Do I have to use the app to upload pics? (I use an IPad):rockon::Flash: