New Grips with FZ1 Bar

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting ready to order an fz1 bar with some other stuff I need. With that I've seen several people replace the grips. Does it make anything easier? Just for the different grips? Any advice I guess is the Question? I have a bar end throttle lock so grips need to work with that.

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I personally found that re-using my stock grips worked a treat, especially on the throttle side. Hairdryer to heat and loosen the grips, then worked around the edges with a flat screwdriver and WD40!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does not make it any easier or harder. Replace grips if you want something unique or something that is softer and absorbs more vibration. Lots of great cheap choices out there.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Erci, just find something that feels good to you. If you like the stocks and can get them off without destroying them go with that and pocket a few bucks.

If you can find someone with an air compressor or have one yourself, I always found sliding an air gun fitting (long skinny tube) in the grip would blow air in the grip, stretching it out (breaking the adhesive) and making it come right off.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK the ones I saw at the dealership didn't seem to have any glue in the package. What do you use to glue on the grips?

Nothing :)

I've installed quite a few grips on bikes at this point. Never used glue and never had grips move or spin. I do use compressor to get them on though.
Before I had the compressor, I used to use rubbing alcohol to make them slide on, but then you need to wait good 12 hours or so for it to evaporate.

I know many use hairspray as glue with good results (I've never tried this).

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard hairspray, I've used nothing and I've also used carb cleaner. Works as a lubricant to slide them on easy, then dries tacky as an adhesive.

Some of my hardcore MX friends use spray paint. Then again, I don't want my FZ looking like a ratty race bike.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I have changed my grips 5 times the past few months lol. It actually does make a difference in drivability in my opinion. I tried super grip gel grips which were very nice and comfy. I tried dual compound grips, which are firmer and to me have better throttle control. I have tried dirt bike grips which are super thick and cushy and wider in the middle which are very comfy and absorb the vibration the most, but the throttle seemed to lag slightly to me because of the extra cushy outer layer. Probably makes a difference what kind of glove and padding you have as well as wrist position.

I want to next try out Oury grips, but i have been changing the grips out and back and forth for testing im kind of sick of it LOL. Right now im on dual compound grips and the fz1 bar. Maybe next month i will try something new.

If you go to cycle gear you can try out grips and return them no problem aas long as you dont cut off the ends. And i used wd40 to take them off and vidal sassoon extra hold hair spray to put them on. They stick like glue :)

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the Renthal Med bar in black and used the progrips gel grips. This combo has seemed to quench the wrist cramps on the throttle hand I was not enjoying. I also had them tapped for the factory bar ends.

I used the compressor to both take the old grips off and put the new grips on. I have never used any grip glue. Hairspray has been the goto when needed. I have found my grandma's old Aqua Net brand to work the best and dry the quickest when I change grips on my pedal bikes.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
OK the ones I saw at the dealership didn't seem to have any glue in the package. What do you use to glue on the grips?

I use Scott grip glue. Ive used it on a few sets of grips for other bikes and plan on using it on my FZ when I get new grips. My Honda dealer usually gives it to me for free but I think its only like $2.50 for a little thing of it. You dont need much so it goes a long way.

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I threw some Ourys on the order. We shall see for 11 bucks. I have to have rubber ends on the grips for the throttle lock to work and the FZ1 bar should mean no new adaptor for it. Once parts come in what to do first r6 forks or handle bar or do it all at once.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got my bar coming and new grips!! You guys have got me impatient with all this talk of comfy wrist positions and gel grips.

Best part? I paid dealership cost + 10%. My FZ1 bar was like $22 and my $30 grips came out to be $11. Bring on the cheap thrills! :BLAA: