• I still the the FZ6 better!

Votes: 153 83.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the FZ6R. I think it is geared towards shorter and beginner riders. It sounds like it has more torque down low while sacrificing power up high, sort of like the CBF600 which has a detuned CBR600RR engine to the effect of 76hp! Again, for gobs of torque and smoothness. Same with the GSX650F - doesn't have as much power, 86hp, but a lot of usable torque. I very rarely go above 7k rpm. So, what use is a more powerful bike for me if I never reach those rpms??? When the FZ6 was compared to the SV650 and Ninja 650 in 2007 the SV had a lot more power than the FZ6 until 9k rpm. So, more usable is better. I am glad a centerstand is available - it is not in the Ninja 650 which was a turn off for me. This bike is slightly lower than the FZ and have lower CG due to the exhaust. While not as good looking as the FZ6, it is more practical in the sense that it does not burn your butt when you sit in traffic. Can you tell all my riding is in the city??? IN any case...I am looking forward to the comparison of the FZ6R against the GSX650f and Ninja 650.
Lastly, as Keira said we all have our FZ6 because we liked them and they are right for us. Hats off to Yamaha for introducing another bike and giving us the options. Look at how many models Suzuki has in the 600-650cc range (SV650, SV650SF, DL650, GSX650F, GSX600R).

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
How much "usable torque" can you really get out of a 600cc I4? You can't compare it to the way a V-twin or P-twin are going to perform, it's just not going to happen. A bike just under 500 pounds with crappy suspension and brakes, and a screaming I4 does not make the best beginner bike IMO. Not bad, but not great. They are sure marketing it well though.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[COLOR=\"DarkGreen\"]We'd better stop bashing the FZ6R, because some people are probably going to buy it in the future! Where will they go? This FZ6-FORUM is going to be their only home! What if they see these comments we're making about their beloved machines?? They'll be treated like outcasts! Misfits! They'll be like creeps trying to get into the house by tapping on the window!! Like those horrible vampires in that movie, \"Salem's Lot.\"[/COLOR]
We need some folks here that we can mistreat, it makes me feel good. ;) :D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I certainly don't think it looks bad. If I was looking for a first bike and wanted fairings then I would have to consider it. I definitely prefer a nekkid FZ6 though.:jawdrop::drool::bow:

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Bison....yeah, that's a good name. I like it.

I think it's a good looking bike. I like the front-heavy look, and I like the nick name, "Bison". I think the FZ6 needs a cool nick name, like they give aircraft:

F-4 Phantom
F-22 Raptor
F-15 Eagle
FZ6R Bison

Yeah, I like it. But I wouldn't trade my FZ6 for it. I love the FZ6.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I very rarely go above 7k rpm. So, what use is a more powerful bike for me if I never reach those rpms??? When the FZ6 was compared to the SV650 and Ninja 650 in 2007 the SV had a lot more power than the FZ6 until 9k rpm.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. If you buy a bike like the FZ6, with a high-revving engine, you gotta adjust your riding style to it. Instead of cruising along in 4th gear at 4k rpm, keep it in second gear, and have all the power available. When I'm out in the twisties, I rarely go below 7k rpm. Riding at such high rpm's is no different then riding at low rpm's, but it does give you all it's power.

TKarrade

Software Simian
Reaction score
www.playeralliance.com
I voted for the regular FZ6...

The FZ6R seems to me like a re-badged YZF600R, with the single headlight and similar stats. They got rid of that in 2007, and this looks like it's reincarnation.

When I was shopping for a bike I debated between the 600R and the FZ6 and I picked the FZ6 because of the naked look, the comfort of the seating position, and because of the adjustable suspension. My wife is a frequent passenger, and the FZ6 was just a better fit for that.

Judging by the stats on the new FZ6R, I think I still made the better choice.
-TK

CrioGeniC

Reaction score
Visit site
Like many people have said here, I think Yamaha went completely in the wrong direction of this bike. They are trying to compete with the 650r and GSXF series, but in the grand scheme of things, how many of those bikes have you really seen on the roads.

I think if Yamaha wanted to make a huge jump into the beginner biker section, the should have brought over one of the 250cc - 500cc I4s to the US and put it against the Ninja 250. The redesigned 08 Ninja was a screaming success in the states and had 0 competition. Dealers still cant keep those bikes on the floor and there are already huge waiting lists for the 09s.

Overall, I think the FZ6 is just a sexier looking bike than the new "R". That Bison pix is spot on.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry but you are wrong. If you buy a bike like the FZ6, with a high-revving engine, you gotta adjust your riding style to it. Instead of cruising along in 4th gear at 4k rpm, keep it in second gear, and have all the power available. When I'm out in the twisties, I rarely go below 7k rpm. Riding at such high rpm's is no different then riding at low rpm's, but it does give you all it's power.

Mastakilla, what kind of mileage do you get riding like that? Thanks.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us are propably biased toward our FZ6 and hence voted for it. For that same reason I'm sure the statistics would be more favorable to FZ6R if we had more owners of that bike.:rolleyes:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
GSX650F is a great bike too. It is more similar to the FJ then the FZ. I am sure you won't regret getting either.

speedfreak

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I really like about the FZ6R is the seat. I think the seat would look great on a FZ6. I don't like the single headlight or exhaust and about the fairing I like bikes with or without full fairings. For my full opinion I'll wait to see one on the showroom floor. Manufacture pictures don't do some bikes any justice.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Uhh... No dual exhaust, not dual headlight, and most importantly no 180 rear tire. WTF.... This is what makes FZ6 stand out the most. Yeah suspension is better on FZ6R but who cares. Is not like we are complaining about our FZ6 suspension now. I love mine, and the new one is no my style. With out things above, not my personal interest.

BKKFZ6

Regular Joe
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a nice bike and if it was available when I bought I might have opted for the lower spec just cos I need it more in the city then the hwy.

I think Yami did ok in europe where its called a "diversion", nothing wrong with that. I think The BIG mistake that yamaha made was adding this bike to the FZ family and giving it an extra designation "R" like is something more than the fz6, which is a slap in the face to current FZ owners.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally saw an FZ6R "in the flesh" at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show yesterday.
Quite honestly, I thought it was a nice looking bike in its own right....but calling it the FZ6R was a TERRIBLE marketing ploy by Yamaha. They had 2 FZ6R's sitting right beside an FZ6. Just standing listening to the poor Yamaha reps trying to explain what the "R" designation meant confirmed the confusion.
The only part of the FZ6R that just doesn't look right is that spindly little swingarm....it looks like it belongs on a bicycle, not a motorcycle.
I really suspect that the FZ6 is going to be discontinued in favour of the FZ6R sooner rather than later....and that will be a crying shame.
BTW....the new R1 is FANTASTIC. If I was a few decades younger I'd buy one in a heartbeat.