New Fz6 owner from MN!

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone! i just picked up this 2007 with 6,300miles. all stock, hopefully exhaust soon!! its in good shape minus the left rear grab bar is broken off.

tires are prolly gonna be replaced soon as i am pretty picky about having nice fresh tires!!! so if anyone has tire recommendations throw then out to me!

I had a 2000 sv650 last year, so this bike is quite a diff ride, although i am suprised that the fz has as much low end torque as it does!

bike114.jpg

bike113.jpg

bike112.jpg

bike111.jpg

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Congrats!!

Your tire selection should be based on the type of riding you'll be doing. When my stock tires where trashed after 12,000 miles I ended up getting the Bridgestones BT016's. In retrospect, this is not the best tire for the type of riding that I mostly do (commuter), so I know I'll be buying more tires sooner than later.

Keep that in mind.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice Bike, welcome to the FZ Clan!
"...i am suprised that the fz has as much low end torque as it does!"
Yes, the tales of lack of low down torque are much exagerated. Wait 'til you get to the upper half of the rev range though, yahooooo!

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
just got back from about a 100 mile ride, and i like this bike soo much more than my old sv, changed the rear shock setting from 2 to 4 (i'm about 150lbs.) that made a huge difference on how the bike feels! and oh yeah the bike is definitely different once you get over 8k :D

as far as tires i don't really do touring riding, but im not all out serious in the twisties either ( i have looked at the bridestone battlax and a friend recommended continentals- not sure which model)

my only complaint like so many others is the slighty uncomfortable seat :D

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: :welcome:
I use to own a 02 SV650. The difference between the Sv and FZ is huge.
Welcome to the forum.
Do a search on the forum and you will find lots of information of tires.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Michelin Pilot Road 2's Great high milage tire that will preform when you need it. Derbycycles.net has great pricing.
Where are you in MN? I grew up in Willmar and lived in Brainerd for a few years in the 70's. Yep, older than dirt.

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
^ I actually live in brainerd, there are alot of nice roads up around here!!

Zoom

Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to go with Michelin pilot road, one can expect great mileage and they are excellent for commuting. They are currently installing mine for me on my bike:D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
^ I actually live in brainerd, there are alot of nice roads up around here!!

I was there last fall on a Wing I rented and did 2,500 miles from the Twin Cities around to Michigan and the UP back over to Mn to ride with some High School buds who live in Brainerd and St. Cloud. Good stuff. Here's a sign you will never see on the left coast.
IMG_0459.jpg

jhhorns

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2 works for me. I have ~1500 miles on these this season and they are great. Last season I was on the Dunlop Roadsmart, but this was not a good match for the FZ6. The Pilots definately make the bike feel more agile.

Simply Sport Bikes in Edina was great to deal with for the purchase/installation.

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
just got back from about a 100 mile ride, and i like this bike soo much more than my old sv, changed the rear shock setting from 2 to 4 (i'm about 150lbs.) that made a huge difference on how the bike feels! and oh yeah the bike is definitely different once you get over 8k :D

as far as tires i don't really do touring riding, but im not all out serious in the twisties either ( i have looked at the bridestone battlax and a friend recommended continentals- not sure which model)

my only complaint like so many others is the slighty uncomfortable seat :D

not to thread jack but I weigh about 140 and how does changing the rear shock change much? How do you adjust the stock shock??

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
adjusting the shock changes the stiffness so it also will make the ride height seem higher or lower. there is a wrench in your tool kit to adjust the setting on the shock, do a search on here and it will explain it in more depth.

not to thread jack but I weigh about 140 and how does changing the rear shock change much? How do you adjust the stock shock??

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks, yeah i was looking for a blue fz so it would match my car!!:D

:welcome: to the forum

Nice to see your bike colour matches your car ;)

I ended up buying some continental conti-motion tires, they were cheap and i couldn't find any bad reviews on them other than sometimes they have a short life. and for the money if they arent that great no big deal, All I know is they will be better than the Dunlops on the bike now.