New FZ6 owner, bike is not comfy at all...

vannatta20

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a 08 FZ6 with 1200 miles for 3500$. I was stoked until I rode it for 2 hours to get home. My ass hurt and my lower back. So far I ride it daily for about 2 months. The bike is so nice but I just cant ride for more than 45 minutes before I have to get off the bike and let my butt get a rest. Is this normal? I feel like I am sliding down against the gas tank. I really want to go on some long road trips but there is no way I can do that with this bike. Also the airflow over the windscreen is hitting me directly in the face and chest. This tires me as well. So far I have added Motek risers. Didnt really help me much though. I am 5'7 and weigh 160. Will a custom seat fix my pain? Also will a tall windscreen cure airflow issues? I feel like I set on top the bike putting me in the airlow. I think a cruiser style would be much better. Right now i have my bike listed for sell. I will sell it if I get my asking price unless a some mods will fix all this. What should I do?

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You should use the SEARCH function (google one is best) and read the topics you are considering modding.
The 24" Cee Bailey touring screen seems to be a good choice for no air on you.
I got my stock seat modded with Spencer Flash Intro Page and it was the cheapest way to a good solution for me (about $100). You can get a cushy couch seat if you want to spend $400 bucks, Top Saddlery and Corbin seem to be the choice of the long distance riders.

Seriously though, use the google search function on the forum, there is TONS of info on here from very helpful people. You've come to the right place!

:welcome:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are SO many things you can do to customize FZ6 to your liking, but it will take some experimenting. Risers take weight off your shoulders/wrists and transfer more weight to your butt, so I'd start by taking those off.. since you mostly complain about your rear end. Get a straighter handlebar (just about any aluminum riser bar will be straighter, or you can go with the FZ1 bar.. cheaper and better vibration damping).
At 5' 7", you may be able to divert all wind completely over your head with a touring screen, but what is your average moving speed? Is it all highway or is it all back roads? Many of us have found a big improvement by completely taking the screen off.
You need to figure out if you want to tinker with this bike or just swap it for something you think will work better for you (and it sounds like that's the way you are leaning).

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only 19 years old and my ass gets pretty sore after 60-70 miles of riding. I don't know if it's my riding position or what, but I'm not a fan of the stock seat. I'm hoping an after market seat will cure this issue.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
funny, just came form an 01 bandit and I think the fz6 is damn comfy stock. :shrug:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, everything that you have been complaining about has already been addressed and have been rectified. Search tab will be helpful, but here are some keywords that will help you narrow down the threads.

Corbin Seat
Yamaha Comfort Seat
Top Saddlery Seat (spelling?) by far the most comfortable seat.

I have the Yamaha Comfort Seat, better than the stock but probably not as comfy as the TS. There have been many members who have logged over 1000 miles in one day so it's just a matter of getting the right seat for you. There are a lot of members who sell these seats too, so be patient but you have to log onto the forum daily as things like seats dissapear within one day. I bought my comfort seat through another forum. Most I've ridden in one day on this seat was 938 miles, or 6000 miles in two weeks.

Puig Windscreen

I have one, it's about a couple of inches taller than the stock. There are others out there. I'm 5-8 and weigh 160.

Your avatar sais Clovis? New Mexico I take it?

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat is awful, period. I would actually look forward to red lights so I could stand up for 40 seconds or so. I did get the Spencer mod (I note someone above did as well) and that has helped a great deal. I think if you do something about the seat, you'll have a much different opinion of the bike in general.

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
bummer, sorry for the pun, most people figure some of these things out
before buying....is this your first bike? riding is not like sitting in a car,
YOU have to make it happen, control the thing....it is work, not hard
work but its not like sitting in a car, after a couple of months you should be
over that by now...anyway, like the others said there's many things to do this
bike to change it to your preference

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5' 7'', 155 lbs. I had to play with angle back of the handlebars and clutch/brake levers. You should try the same. After a few hours, my wrists and forearms are a bit sore, but not too bad. I'm going to try the FZ1 handlebar to see if that helps.

The saddle has been fine for me, knock on wood. The bum gets a bit a numb after a few hours, but that has always happened to me. I just figured it was part of riding.

Play with minor adjustments, rotate the levers forward/backward and see if that helps. Same with the handlebars. I hope that helps!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I had the same problem with the stock seat I finally bought a Corbin seat I called them gave them my hight and weight and told them that I kept sliding forward.

I think Cee Bailey will shape a seat to your bottom. You give them your dimensions and trace you butt and fill out a questioner.

The Top Sallerie seat looks to be real comfortable and seem to be one of the most popular.

I went with a puig screen and inch up inch back bar risers so far very happy. I'm not sure if the FZ6 will ever be as comfortable as a large cruiser but a cruiser won't do a lot of things the 6 will do. Everyone is different thats why there are so many different bikes to choose from.

LadyDi

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5'8" and I have the same problem with the wind hiting me in the neck, but I plan on either shavin down my stock screen, or going with a shorter double bubble of some sort.

As for you butt hurting, my best advice is to stop often. Every 45 mins to 1 hr. Just get off the bike and tighten up those butt muscles!

As for sore wrists... I know all you manly-men on this site will think I'm retarded... but get into yoga. Downward-dog will do wonders for the strength of your wrists :innocent:

vannatta20

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope this is not my first bike. I owned a CBR600 which was my only mode of transportation for about a year. This is crazy but I could ride it all weekend and have no issues with comfort. But the riding was different, it was on small island so no long straight roads for very long. I did test ride the bike for 20 minutes around town and it felt fine. Its after 40 minutes i have issues. My wrist are constantly hurting as well. I read the FZ1 bars will help. I guess i am just frustrated I have to change so much for this bike to suit me. I love the looks and how well made the bike is though. I actually do Yoga about once a week doing P90x. Yoga is the hardest workout of them all!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for sore wrists... I know all you manly-men on this site will think I'm retarded... but get into yoga. Downward-dog will do wonders for the strength of your wrists :innocent:

Not even remotely retarted! Yoga is very beneficial to riding from my personal experience.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess i am just frustrated I have to change so much for this bike to suit me.

Look at it this way.. after you modify it to your liking, it's still cheaper than a 600cc supersport bike AND you'll end up with something somewhat unique!

vannatta20

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will order a Top Sellrie seat. Worth the money to ride and they have seats in stock so I will still be able to ride my bike versus shipping my seat out and being down for a month. Also I will order a taller windscreen.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will order a Top Sellrie seat. Worth the money to ride and they have seats in stock so I will still be able to ride my bike versus shipping my seat out and being down for a month. Also I will order a taller windscreen.

And if you decide it's still not perfect for you and you do decide to sell the bike, you'll be able to get much of the money back for the seat on this forum very easily.

yamaowner

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5'9" and had the dealer install the tall windshield when I bought my '06.

I have no wind problem.

As to the seat, I have been laid off, so cannot spend money on an aftermarket seat.

I tried a sheepskin on the seat for long rides, didn't help.

Now if I am going over 100 miles I wear padded bicycle shorts under my jeans. When I went ATGATT and started wearing TourRider jeans over my normal jeans, with the shorts on, I found I can easily ride 300+ miles in a day when other riders are complaining about their butts, wrists, and back.

Do not give up. The FZ6 is worth it.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a 24in. cee bailey screen, my 4th attempt to correct the
wind/turbulence, it is the tallest one I could find, the mid height screens
offer more protection than the stock, but come at a price: noise, lots of
it, so much that for me riding at HWY speed for any length of time required
ear plugs, the cee bailey has solved this issue

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Play with minor adjustments, rotate the levers forward/backward and see if that helps. Same with the handlebars. I hope that helps!

+1

One of the first things I did to my 08 was to rotate the levers to align with my shoulders such that your hands are neither arched upwards or pitched downwards compared to your forearm (5'10", 32"inseam).

Center stand your bike, loosen the lever pinch bolts and hop on and get in your riding position. Visually draw a line from your shoulders to the top of the bars. Picture this as a straight line and rotate your levers so your wrists are parallel to your forearms while actuating the levers. Your wrists should not be arched upwards or downwards when you grasp the levers! Keep them parallel to your forearm.

The factory lever angle are horrid for people with long torsos. You having risers probably makes this angle even worse!
Also, At this new angle you can apply more force to the Brake Lver! Be Careful!