NEW FZ6 or NEW FZ8 or NEW FZ1

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to buy a excellent condition used 07-09 FZ6 for over two months now with no luck. As a matter of fact two bad experiences have led me to make my mind up to buy a new bike.

I drove 1.5hrs one way to buy an 07 FZ6 to only find the bike had fall over damage when I was told over the phone the bike was perfect.

I drove 2hrs one way to a dealership that had a 09 FZ6 that was suppose to be mint only to see it also had fall over damage.

Needless to say I was pissed and made my mind up right that second it was a new bike or nothing.

I have found a NEW left over 08 FZ6 for $6200 (crated and shipped to me) and also a NEW 2011 FZ8 for $6700 (pick up 3hr drive one way).

I have done a lot of research on both bikes...i like both...if the FZ8 had a full size fairing/windshield up front like the FZ6 it would be a no-brainer for me...

There are things I like about both bikes...the only thing about the FZ6 its a 4 year old model that i am paying $500 less than the new model FZ8...

Anyone have any input on this decision?...please don't say "keep looking for an excellent condition (no damage what so ever) used FZ6" as these are so rare that I don't think its possible to find one...i've looked at 2 in person and called on about 10 more...all had significant damage which is not acceptable to me...the damage caused by a fall over on the kickstand side without frame protectors is significant damage to me...

Will it be possible to buy the complete front fairing assembly of a euro FZ8 down the road?

60934524_n.jpg

Will the complete front fairing assembly of a FZ1 bolt right up to the FZ8 frame?

2008-Yamaha-FZ1h.jpg

Then why not just buy a NEW left over FZ1 I've seen them for $7500...I really like the fact the FZ6 is right at 400 lbs especially if you replace the factory muffler....damn this is driving me crazy!!!!

Thanks,
Mark

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd personally go the FZ6. For me, the FZ6 is a bit more 'chuckable' than the FZ8.

I would think if you said to the owner of the FZ6 (shop?) that you can get an FZ8 for $500 more, they may be willing to negotiate a bit.

It's not just engine size, as the two bikes seem directed at two different markets.

The '08 FZ6 will also have all the advantages of the later generation fixes/upgrades of the FZ6 line so it's as good a bike as any.

Another consideration is tyre life. If the FZ6 is 4 years old, you can bet the tyres are even older - and if so, they'll need replacing. (another negotiation point)

I had a TDM850, then TDM900 and can honestly say the FZ6 satisfies the hoon kid in me far more than the heavier, newer bike. (sure, different engine format, but the point still stands that the TDM didn't carve the twisties anywhere near as good as the FZ6 does)

The best bet would be to go to a shop and ride both - that is the only real way YOU will know what feels better to YOU.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Not something you want to hear, but there are deals out there. Got my 06 3 months ago in perfect condition off of craigslist with only 1500 miles for 3600 bucks. Like you I will not buy any bike that has any kind of damage, so I was thrilled when I went to see this bike. Ask for EXTENSIVE pics of the bike, and I probably wouldn't drive more than an hour away to see one.

I met a guy on an FZ8 a couple nights ago, and he said he wished he had the FZ6. It looks awesome, but I don't want to ride without the windscreen.

Not sure if you mentioned, but if this is your first or second bike, then don't even think about the FZ1. I would love to have one but there's no need for it now. Maybe in a couple years when I've put 20k miles on this bike, then I'll get the FZ1.

Since they stopped making the FZ6 in 08/09, then it may be hard to find one that is still sitting on a showroom floor. You can find one newish, just most likely not brand new. Good luck with your search!

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think if you said to the owner of the FZ6 (shop?) that you can get an FZ8 for $500 more, they may be willing to negotiate a bit.

The best bet would be to go to a shop and ride both - that is the only real way YOU will know what feels better to YOU.

Thanks for the input...the price on the FZ6 is FIRM they will not budge I tried to get them to come down $300 on the price with no luck even after telling them of the FZ8 price...they had a bit of an attitude about me trying to negotiate on the price and it almost killed it for me as I almost told them off...I thought twice and didn't as this was the cheapest NEW left over FZ6 I could find...there are others out there but almost $1000 more...

I may call them on Monday and ask what the date code is on the tires and use that to my advantage...with the attitude they had before they may tell me to bugger off...

There is a dealership in my area that has a used FZ6 (significant cosmetic damage) and a NEW FZ8 in stock...I maybe able to get them to let me test drive the FZ6 with a little bull****ting on my part but there is noway they are going to let me test drive the FZ8...

I really want an FZ6 but it has to be in NEW or used in near perfect condition (which I can't find)...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to ride all 3 bikes before you can make an informed decision. You may think the FZ8 is a great deal, ride it and hate it

CincoBoy

Tiny Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input...the price on the FZ6 is FIRM they will not budge I tried to get them to come down $300 on the price with no luck even after telling them of the FZ8 price...they had a bit of an attitude about me trying to negotiate on the price and it almost killed it for me as I almost told them off...I thought twice and didn't as this was the cheapest NEW left over FZ6 I could find...there are others out there but almost $1000 more...

We had a shop where I used to live (Gillette, Wyoming) that acted the same way. They would not move away from the MSRP. My dad and I had no problem going to South Dakota to save a thousand or two.

A shop like that needs to recognize that if they treat the customer right the first time the customer will likely return to purchase again.

I wish you luck in finding an excellent FZ6.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The price on that fz8 I think would have me flipping my wig if I were in your position!!!

Try the fz8, if you like it don't look back. That really is a great price. But I urge you to not think of the fz8 as a "upgrade" to the fz6 more of a replacement of the original fz6. If you think of it in those terms I'm sure you will be thrilled with the bike.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a 07 fz6 7k miles pristine condition for 3100 with no damage some dealership 40 min n of me wouldn't sell me an o8 with 700 miles for less than 6 are they high? That's before taxes and licensing and shipping and freight fees woulda been 7500 ish look at Craigslist WAiT for the deal don't jump the gun you have plenty of time left on this planet just scan it everyday something will come up or check the forum maybe 2-3 hour road trip is worth the time if you get what you want from a more reliable source

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Just saw this on these very forums and immediately thought of you!

Hope this help!

Cheers,
Rick

Ya thanks...i talked to him...he says bike is in perfect condition...

He is 6hrs one way from me and I am afraid that the bike will have some damage when I get there...this happen to me already with the exact same bike...an 09 Black FZ6 560miles the dealership said it was mint and when i got there (2hrs one way) it had damage...

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can protect myself from driving 6hrs one way to only find it has damage...i hate to be distrusting but ive been burned twice already...

vwh2o

Reaction score
Visit site
I know how you feel about the time and mileage wasted looking at bikes that were not what they were supposed to be. I had recently been looking for an older f-150 1992-96 in good condition, I logged several thousand miles and a lot of time chasing down these perfect trucks and always finding rusted up bondo wagons. Ended up driving a 16 round trip to TN and purchased a mint low mileage 1993 f150. Which is why I will not waste anybodys time trying to make something out to be what it is not. The 09 fz6 is in perfect shape, I watched the mechanic assemble it out of the crate( he was very careful putting it together) I brought it home rode it about 6-7 times and just don't like it. I currently own a 04 honda rune, a 99 valk interstate, and a 09 klr 650, 09 fz6 so I don't have to sell it, just don't need it taking up space if I am not going to ride it.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^^

I'd seriously be considering this bike. The price is more than reasonable, and he's within a days drive. I know you've had bad experiences so far but don't let it discourage you. PM him and work out some pictures and the details! :thumbup:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
There is plenty of new 09 FZ6's out there at dealerships. I know I bought one in March with 0miles. There has to be. I called yami's head quarters in So Cal. They gave me list of at least 15 black bikes with Cal emissions. Thats excluding the 09 Midnight blues Cal State emissions which was roughly another dozen bikes. That's also excluding all the 49 state emissions bikes. Who knows how many 08's they have lying around. Headquarters will have a direct line to these bikes in light of there new, and perhaps will be also obligated by manufacturers warranty for new product. Headquarters is electronically networked to these bikes by vin.

Call the headquarters get customer service. Explain situation. Have them give you a list of leads. They want your buisiness. Then start calling dealerships closest to you out of the list and essentially start having them out bid each other by written private estimate. Hold your counsel about the list cause multiple dealerships could be networked. Have them send you estimates via email in writing and with all intent and for some hokie reason have them leave there name. Once you have estimates in writing. Perhaps then after, have the dealerships start to outbid each other and maybe even be so bold as to tell them you a have list. I imagine a bike Several years old with 0miles you'll have some room for negotiation. There dying to get rid of these bikes. Also regardless of the latest FZ6 bikes being 3to 4 years old, there still a new bike. 0 miles is 0 miles... The 09s MSRP I believe was 7200.00. in 2009. They certainly don't hold that value today. Don't forget regardless of having 0 miles most insurance will devalue the bike by year/blue book/NADA and not necessarily miles and in some cases refer to the bike as used.

Last edited: