New Bike rider (putting on flame suit!)

Kassassin

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have been racing Bikes for a couple years and riding them most my life(pedal bikes). I love 2 wheels. I took my msf course for my lisence a while ago but never had the need or money to buy a bike( but I wanted one like all hell)
Well, I finally had the money and the reason(lots of commuting). I picked up a *gasp* fz6 as my first bike. Took it safe out of the lot(wearing full gear. I != squid) ~Two weeks later I am loving the bike. Super docile(car like) under 7k rpms which makes it really easy to deal with, and super fun when you occasionally decide to have some fun. I have like 500 miles on it now did my first oil change and the oil looked horrible. Lots of metal flakes and a very mucky brown color. Lubed the chain.. checked tires(which the dealer over inflated the rear to 56psi).. etc. Awesome bike. Exactly what I was looking for even though I walked into the dealer wanting an r6s(and glad I didnt get it)
I am assuming that the bike racing took care of a lot of the 2 wheel dynamics because it came really easily to me. My biggest issue was learning to use a manual.
Anyways! new to the forum. Reading around. Liking the tips and help. Felt like saying hello. Even if my entrance can possibly make a new rider get the 600 he probably shouldn't get.

Questions: When should I start worrying about chain tension, clutch cables, brake fluid?

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and Congratulations on a great purchase. :welcome:

You will want to keep an eye on those things all the time. Just like on your bicycle you probably take a look at your chain, pedals and brakes every time you get on, you'll want to do the same for your FZ6.

Check your tire pressure often (like every other ride)
Check your chain about the same (I usually just lift it in the centre with my boot to see how it looks for tension (I have very dirty boots :)))
Lube your chain frequently, I go about 2 weeks between Lube and 4 weeks between Clean and Lube
Fluids you can usually see the level through little windows, or in the case of oil the dipstick.

Take a look at the http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/320-2004-through-2007-manuals-download-here.html and I would recommend reading the first three chapters.

Go to www.600riders.com at least daily to get tons of good advice from really smart people.

Have Fun and be safe.

Shuckle

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The owner's manual shuckle pointed out is a great resource....

The short answer is the clucth cable should be lubed whenever it looks dry; probably on the order of monthly for most folks, or a bit longer.

Chain life is primarily determined by the care you give it.... the biggest factor in my opinion is to not over tighten the chain. Learn what the adjustment range is, and keep it as near the 'open' end of the spec as you can. Too 'loose' is far easier on the cahin than too 'tight'. Second most important, is to keep it lubricated. Modern O ring chains are quite durable, and the lubrication installed at time of manufacture will last 10's of thoursands of miles. Your biggest task is to ensure the O rings maintain their integrity. There's more opinions on this than Crater's got pills.....

Brake fluid should be flushed annually. The entire system should be purged, to remove the fluid which will have absorbed moisture from the air. When you look in the resevoirs, you shouldn't really be able to see the fluid.... the more contamination in the fluid, the more brown it becomes.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
:rtfm: hehe - no seriously, all your questions are answered in the first few pages. They are also answered in the owner's manual that is under your seat. :spank:

:welcome: to the forum! I'm really a nice guy...:ban:

Kassassin

Reaction score
Visit site
not everything in the manual is always the best thing for the bike
IE: break in controversy
central, NB area

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Kassassin!

Great choice on the FZ6. A lot of good info and experience here on this forum and also great fun people.

Kalaatu Barada Nikto!

Cliff