New Bike = GREAT!

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the bike and new to the forum.

I've had my FZ6 for 2 weeks and ~650 miles now. This thing is great. Got the 600 mi service done with Yamalube and Yamaha filter for $150. Not bad.

Bike rides real nice in all weather. I was afraid it had too much power for rain days, but seems fine so far. I've been in the rain 3 times do far.

So far this is great. It looks like I'll see over 45 mpg this tank as I'm at a half tank with a little over 100 miles on the OD. that is way better than my 99 Shadow was.

I think I need to adjust the shifter and brake position again. It is still not quite right for me at 6'3".

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations and ride safe!

Next oil change, buy yourself a pan, filter wrench and funnel (tools if you need them). The oil and filter will run you less than $30.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations and ride safe!

Next oil change, buy yourself a pan, filter wrench and funnel (tools if you need them). The oil and filter will run you less than $30.

I agree. If someone charged you $150. for an oil change, they ripped you in a major way.

1 - Supertech 7317 oil filter from WW, about $4.

3 Quarts of Motorcycle Specific 4cycle oil from Auto Zone about $4. ea.

If you have a wrench and oil drain pan, you are talking $20.

Oh yea, the FZ6 is a great bike.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
My 6 month service cost me $180.

I took it up to them on a Tuesday, they said they'd have it done Saturday. Saturday they called and said they were busy and couldn't get to it. I got it back the following Wednesday.

On the phone they told me they'd give me a 10% discount on the parts for taking longer than they were supposed to. When I got there to pick it up it wasn't taken off my bill, but it would have been like a $3 discount so I didn't bother talking about it.

At that point I decided I'm doing all maintenance on my own (with the help of this amazing group of people, of course) for the bike.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by DefyInertia
Don't waste your money paying some tool to molest your bike!

An oil change is way too easy to justify paying shop labor/part prices to have it done. And doing it yourself should give you a sense of accomplishment and self reliance.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the bike and new to the forum.

I've had my FZ6 for 2 weeks and ~650 miles now. This thing is great. Got the 600 mi service done with Yamalube and Yamaha filter for $150. Not bad.

What all do they do at the 600 mile service? Is it just an oil change? If so, you definitely paid a high price for a 30 minute job in your garage. I remember when my clutch cable snapped I took it to a dealer as I was only a few months into my riding career and didn't know anything about the bike. I figured, might as well have them change the oil too while its there. After they stuck me with the 190 dollar bill, I found this forum and started to learn how to do things on my own.

Reaction score
Visit site
An oil change and chain adjustment is all they do, says the sales rep when i picked up the bike this morning.
He said that i can do it myself, but to use Yamaha products or the warranty is void.

~Dave

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He said that i can do it myself, but to use Yamaha products or the warranty is void.

~Dave

Yamaha only offers a one year warranty anyways (unless you purchase extended warranty), and there are some great products on the market in terms of lubes, filters, etc... Just take a look in the oil threads for more info/advice. :thumbup:

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
I brought it in for the 1st service for several reasons. First, I'm sure the dealer is capable of doing an adequate job regarding the first service. If you don't trust Yamaha as a company to be able to perform service, how did you trust them to design and develop your motorcycle? So, yea, I think they can do it.

Second, I normally do this kind of thing myself. It's a long story, but I'm living temporarily in a furnished, but without tools, apartment. My tools are all tucked neatly away in their chest.

Last, do you think the first service is really just an oil change? If so, you have shorted your bike some TLC, and I will leave that there. The guys who write service manuals, in general, take great care to develop that service schedule. If it says check throttle body sync, they mean that. They are in a real time battle between best service, reduced environmental impact, long motorcycle life and best use of your dime against the other manufacturers.

I did choose the Yamalube and Yamaha filter because regardless of what some guy who tears filters apart tells me. . . .I know Yamaha is paying a department of people to develop the best lubricant and filter specifications for the bike. There might be better available, but I'm sure the Yamaha stuff is fine. BTW, $37 of the bill was lube and filter.

The service tech told me he needs 1.5 - 2 hours to do the service right. Since service tech time is billed at $99 /hr and I had $37 in lube, I think I got my money's worth.

FWIW, I will do future service per the manual by myself. I will probably use Yamaha filter and lube, unless I can figure out something better and be relatively sure of it. Can you help me here?

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2009 FZ6 New and went with the extended warenty for an addtional 2 years, and I am wondering what I have to do to both do the service myself and keep it in warenty. Thanks.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!!!! To the best forum in the world! Very cool people here too.

Be safe and enjoy your rides

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys paying for an oil change need to rethink owning a bike. $150, $180???? CRAZY!!!!! $30 for an oil change. Pure one filter and Rotella T 5w-40 oil.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I completely understand someone paying a large amount of money for each of the major or 'milestone' services. Resale on a bike is going to be MUCH easier if you have the initial service and any big services done by an authorized service agent. I will do exactly that. Having said that, I will also change my own oil every 2500kms, and my own filter very other 5000kms (services due every 10000kms). My bike is due for it's 1000km service and will go to the service agent for it - and until it's due for another 10000km service, I'll do it myself.