New Bearings

davedew

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike last fall and was only able to ride for a couple months before winter. I noticed in that time that whenever I applied the front brake or went over a bump my handlebars would rattle. So this week I dropped out my forks and found that my lower steering bearing was totally rusted. Anyways I replaced them both with All balls roller bearings and its much tighter and smoother. Has anyone else had to do this? It seems quite pathetic that I should be doing this on a four year old bike. Ive included some pics but not sure if they will work out as this is my first post.

04 blue fz6, givi bags, corbin seat, clear led taillight, dual hi/lo lights.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where is your bike stored? Do you ride in the rain and snow? If so this isn't uncommon. The good thing is you've done a nice upgrade to your ride. The roller bearings are the way to go. They provide a much larger point of contact and will help make your bike more responsive and handle better. Most racers will install these on a brand new bike.

Oh yeah...welcome!

davedew

Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner stored it in a garage beside his antique porshe and was quite a perfectionist about keeping it clean. I have also kept it in a heated garage and never ride in the rain or on salty roads, a Canadian thing I think. The rest of the bike looks brand new and has only 7000 kms on it. Glad to hear it will ride better as I wont be able to take it out for a few months.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Our bikes have ball bearings in the steering head? I guess that's how Yamaha got the price so low.

I'll be adding that to my list of upgrades.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum! good to see another fz6 rider from ontario...couple more weeks left my friend..be patient... :thumbup:

i didnt know we had ball bearings either, on the other hand i didnt know it would make big differences to have roller bearings also :)

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a very common failure on this bike, with many cases reported from 04-07 models. It doesn't seem to follow any particular pattern of environment, storage, mileage or usage.

My opinion is a poor fitting lower seal allows moisture to get by during wet conditions, and it's just a matter of time after that. The replacement of the stock parts with a set of tapered roller bearings (with a matching seal) seems to be a permanent solution.

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question that came to me but is totally off the subject. I was looking at hose pics he has posted and was wondering if i sit my bike on the centrestand and the load the back with weight, I dont have to worry about it falling forward when i take off the front tyre and forks?

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question that came to me but is totally off the subject. I was looking at those pics he has posted and was wondering if i sit my bike on the centrestand and the load the back with weight, I dont have to worry about it falling forward when i take off the front tyre and forks?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a very common failure on this bike, with many cases reported from 04-07 models. It doesn't seem to follow any particular pattern of environment, storage, mileage or usage.

My opinion is a poor fitting lower seal allows moisture to get by during wet conditions, and it's just a matter of time after that. The replacement of the stock parts with a set of tapered roller bearings (with a matching seal) seems to be a permanent solution.

Good to know, top notch post!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike last fall and was only able to ride for a couple months before winter. I noticed in that time that whenever I applied the front brake or went over a bump my handlebars would rattle. So this week I dropped out my forks and found that my lower steering bearing was totally rusted. Anyways I replaced them both with All balls roller bearings and its much tighter and smoother. Has anyone else had to do this? It seems quite pathetic that I should be doing this on a four year old bike. Ive included some pics but not sure if they will work out as this is my first post.

04 blue fz6, givi bags, corbin seat, clear led taillight, dual hi/lo lights.

Nice job and Dave and welcome ... where did you get them from mate ?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner stored it in a garage beside his antique porshe and was quite a perfectionist about keeping it clean. I have also kept it in a heated garage and never ride in the rain or on salty roads, a Canadian thing I think. The rest of the bike looks brand new and has only 7000 kms on it. Glad to hear it will ride better as I wont be able to take it out for a few months.
That actually might be the problem (he might wash it all the time). I actully live about half hour from you, by the way... I live in Baden (near Kitchener). I believe this happens a lot if you ride in the rain or are religious about washing (and GOD forbid about using a pressure washer) your bike... I am careful about spraying water near the stearing head and never ride in the rain... After this riding season, I'll repack my head bearings just as a precaution... I'll be using Moly grease or synthetic grease as opposed to Yamaha's cheap soap based lithium grease.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That actually might be the problem (he might wash it all the time). I actully live about half hour from you, by the way... I live in Baden (near Kitchener). I believe this happens a lot if you ride in the rain or are religious about washing (and GOD forbid about using a pressure washer) your bike... I am careful about spraying water near the stearing head and never ride in the rain... After this riding season, I'll repack my head bearings just as a precaution... I'll be using Moly grease or synthetic grease as opposed to Yamaha's cheap soap based lithium grease.

probably a good idea to do, where did you get the bearings?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
probably a good idea to do, where did you get the bearings?

I was thinking about ordering from my local dealer... However, I will most likely find a online part supplier and order from them. If I find my bearings to be in great shape, I may just clean and repack with better grease. I was also thinking of getting tapered roller bearings instead... The word is they are superior than ball & gage (the ones we have stock in our FZ6 now).

stroker

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to change mine a couple years ago, and they looked just like yours. I used Lucas red grease on the new ones. I found that it is more waterproof than any other grease that I have used. A small local shop had the All Balls roller bearings in stock and they were pretty cheap. It was a real P.I.T.A. and you need a press for the races. I think I only had about 1.5 years and 15000 km on the orig. bearings.

davedew

Reaction score
Visit site
Responding to Hazardous' question... I used two 25kg (55 pound) bags of limestone to weigh the back end down. This was more than enough to keep the bike from falling forward and even more so once the wheel and forks are taken off. I find it much easier and there really isnt any good place to use a jack under the front. Also I bought the bearings from Zdenos on Victoria Street in Kitchener for about $68 total. They came together with bearings, races and seals.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
has this problem been corrected on the '08? (i would check the service manual but i got one for the '07) Can you see the rust without dissasemby? (no dissasemble...johnny five is alive) <sorry for that my tourettes is acting up! ;)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
has this problem been corrected on the '08? (i would check the service manual but i got one for the '07) Can you see the rust without dissasemby? (no dissasemble...johnny five is alive) <sorry for that my tourettes is acting up! ;)

Short circuit !!!! class film lol :Flash:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question that came to me but is totally off the subject. I was looking at hose pics he has posted and was wondering if i sit my bike on the centrestand and the load the back with weight, I dont have to worry about it falling forward when i take off the front tyre and forks?

I found that a one gallon paint can fits perfectly under the header to prop the bike up.

mixalis82

Reaction score
Visit site
I've made the bearings change on my FZ6 04 one month ago, had the same thingi with the OP. The dealer told me to use the KOYO ones, roller not ball bearings, they supposedly are the same brand Yamaha uses.

They actually cost less than the default ones, just cause the wrapper says Koyo..

Here's the link to the site btw Koyo