Engine swap

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the motor in my 2004 fz6n. thought some may benefit from what I learned. Thanks to Scott for his help.
The original motor had a bad knock when I bought it, got it very cheap. Turned out the camshaft had a slight wobble and the gear driving the clutch got very tight every 360 degrees.
This caused the casing to crack and the casing moving was the knock.
Anyway I got a 2006 fz6s motor off ebay - also very cheap, they said it was working well with low mileage and stuck it in the bike yesterday. The only thing i had to change was the cylinder head cover as the 06 model didn't have the outlets for the air cut off valve. I checked the timing and valve clearances while it was out, all spot on.
Got it fired up this morning and it had a hell bad rattle which turned out to be 2 things.
The roller bearings on the clutch basket were worn causing it to jump around. I found an old thread on here about a rattle and someone suggested the clutch, the only reason I checked it. I pulled the clutch assembly out of the old motor and stuck it in the new one, this can be done without taking the sump off, the bearing will slide out of the clutch then there is enough room to reach in behind and get the oil pump chain of the back of it. Same for installing.
Got that sorted and found another rattle witch was the pickup touching the pickup rotor. No idea why or how but swapped the cover for the one on the old motor and all sorted! Not a hint of rattle or knock or anything.
So I finally got to ride the bike today, well worth all the effort.

Pete

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the motor in my 2004 fz6n. thought some may benefit from what I learned. Thanks to Scott for his help.
The original motor had a bad knock when I bought it, got it very cheap. Turned out the camshaft had a slight wobble and the gear driving the clutch got very tight every 360 degrees.
This caused the casing to crack and the casing moving was the knock.
Anyway I got a 2006 fz6s motor off ebay - also very cheap, they said it was working well with low mileage and stuck it in the bike yesterday. The only thing i had to change was the cylinder head cover as the 06 model didn't have the outlets for the air cut off valve. I checked the timing and valve clearances while it was out, all spot on.
Got it fired up this morning and it had a hell bad rattle which turned out to be 2 things.
The roller bearings on the clutch basket were worn causing it to jump around. I found an old thread on here about a rattle and someone suggested the clutch, the only reason I checked it. I pulled the clutch assembly out of the old motor and stuck it in the new one, this can be done without taking the sump off, the bearing will slide out of the clutch then there is enough room to reach in behind and get the oil pump chain of the back of it. Same for installing.
Got that sorted and found another rattle witch was the pickup touching the pickup rotor. No idea why or how but swapped the cover for the one on the old motor and all sorted! Not a hint of rattle or knock or anything.
So I finally got to ride the bike today, well worth all the effort.

Pete

Thanks for summing up the install, I reckon if people need a lead on the process you'll be a good person to chat to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great work Pete!! Saved a bunch of money too!

**As that "new" engine was advertised as "running well" , it obviously was NOT as sold.

IMO, I'd be contacting the shop and / or disputing the sale, (at least get a good part of your $ back- (shop labor time and parts).

Especially off E-Bay, they have a warranty of sorts that covers mis-advertised items..

it was advertised as "running well" which it wasn't, you should get something back...

Can't hurt to call, I would. But glad your up and running!!!

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes Scott I'll get onto the seller even though I can't prove the problems. I was so annoyed with the engine rattle I didn't think of getting a video of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He likely knew of it already (and yes, a video would have been nice).

I'd threaten for some money back or he can take the engine back and he can pay for shipping (bluff him).

He won't want the engine, take that big hit for shipping AND a bad motor coming back...

And he ESPECIALLY won't want the BAD FEEDBACK on E-Bay!! That alone will get him talking...

Good luck and please post back how it pans out...

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
He likely knew of it already (and yes, a video would have been nice).

I'd threaten for some money back or he can take the engine back and he can pay for shipping (bluff him).

He won't want the engine, take that big hit for shipping AND a bad motor coming back...

And he ESPECIALLY won't want the BAD FEEDBACK on E-Bay!! That alone will get him talking...

Good luck and please post back how it pans out...

All good, I asked for the postage back ($115) and he agreed.
So all up for the bike and motor $1700 aud. About $1270 usd

Pete