Never Fun Getting Pulled Over

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Being on a motorcycle, you are taking the biggest risk by not signaling.

Imagine this, on a empty freeway, a speeder will pass you on the right before you can even notice him in your mirrors. You could be changing lanes in this moment for whatever reason.

Another situation is when you notice the speeder, half a mile back, catching up fast and you try to move to the next lane to let them go, but you DONT signal, so they try to go around you at the same time and not paying attention and BAM!

I have this rule where I never assume that I'm the fastest moving object in traffic, even though most of the time that is true.

A lot of people use most of their attention on what is in front of them, which makes sense but riding is a 360 degree game.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Man..if I realized this posting would incite such anger I would never have created the thread.

I agree, its not right, but at the same time I will surely reap the benefits of the system when able to, just like anyone else would.

Right or wrong, you cant sit there and tell me that if you had a potential way out of getting out of a ticket, considering the fines, points on the license, insurance ramifications, etc, you wouldnt take it..

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you got out of it. Start using your turn signals :spank: I even use hand signals in addition, to be even more visible.

California has the CHP 11-99 Foundation, similar to the PBA I guess. For $5000 donation, you get a license plate frame and a bronze card to carry with you. I think they stopped the license plate frames though.

CHP 11-99 Foundation: devoted to the welfare of CHP employees and their families.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow i cant believe that people get upset about a pba card, and calling it corrupt is ridiculous. Its just leos taking care of their own and is no different then say if you saw a bike broke down and stoped to help them but wouldnt stop to help a stranded car, taking care of your own. And for those of you who have said such things about them you know good and dang well if you had one you would use it too. Plus i dont use my signals either if there are no.cars around.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow i cant believe that people get upset about a pba card, and calling it corrupt is ridiculous. Its just leos taking care of their own and is no different then say if you saw a bike broke down and stoped to help them but wouldnt stop to help a stranded car, taking care of your own. And for those of you who have said such things about them you know good and dang well if you had one you would use it too. Plus i dont use my signals either if there are no.cars around.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

A man after my own heart..

Couldn't have said it better, and like I said in a previous post, anyone who would have a way to possibly get out of a ticket would take it, saying otherwise is just blasphemy.

And I am not disagreeing with anyone above who says I SHOULD use signals, in fact I totally agree. But like Chevy said, when traffic is light in the morning and I am zipping along, I usually dont, but instead rely on being vigilant with the mirrors and blind spot checks.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no idea something like a "PBA" existed. Got mixed feelings about it when i read it. The practice of knowing somebody at the force and taking some minor benefit from it is one thing. but having an actual card that you can show seems kind of ... i dunno.
Offcourse if that is the culture in your country/state and everybody there accepts this as a common practice who am i to judge, but i do understand that some people on this forum feel the same as i do :)

on the subject, i try to use my signals as much as possible just so it stays a force of habbit, i'd rather use them in a low trafic situation then forget to use them during a dangerous passing...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I love this forum.

I also love:

Here's my PBA card.

I know the judge.

I'm dating your daughter.

I made a mistake and screwed your ex-wife. The reason I was speeding is that I thought she was trying to catch up to me.

Yeah, I've been drinking and driving, but so does my neighbor LEO (insert name here).

You gotta love this forum!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do start, you'll be the first New Yorker to use signals!! :))

One of MSF fundamentals: let others know of your intentions.

Awesome that you didn't get a ticket though :thumbup:

Maybe NYC but many people from NY use signals me included. I find there are much more from Jersey that don't use signals, stop at lights, stop at stop signs, etc....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...seriously? This is the most infuriating thing i've heard all day that such a thing exists. So it's ok to break the law as long as you know somebody who enforces it? That doesn't make any sense. The fact that the guy called it a "get out of jail free card" and his resulting reaction is the worst part. That he probably would have ticketed you but felt as though he couldn't because one of his coworkers wouldn't like it is just ludicrous. It's this type of corruption for the few in secret that this country has so much of then touts its low corruption that gets me the most. At least in other countries that are labeled corrupt it's available to everyone if you have a few bucks and are willing to grease some palms. I didn't even know these existed until today. I always thought it was the obnoxious assholes who get pulled over and start screaming about how they know the mayor were the bad ones.

Its an extension of professional courtesy. I have had them for years from NY and NJ but have never used it. I speed all the time but most of the time it is only 6-10 over and usually everyone around me is doing the same. There are many times that the card will get taken as well if the offense is great enough. You live in Cali and don't know that the USA revolves around who you know?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few LEO friends and not one of them has ever offered or even mentioned a PBA card :(

If i had one i might not have a ticket from tue 10/18/11 but then again 82 in a 55 might be a lil excessive :spank: i had followed a orange pontiac vibe doing 15 under for 5-7 miles with oncoming traffic every time my line got dotted.

as for signals, i use mine every lane change and intersection turn. as well as when parking almost like muscle memory. i have even caught myself signaling for tight turns LoL. and then i hit the cancel button like im tryin to send mores code!

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
WoW PBA card get out of jail free card i drew the do not pass go do not collect $200 go straight to jail card:D.

mate if that's what you have there and it helps i would use it too.
i have a couple of mates that are in the police force and there is nothing like that here
i if got pulled over and said i know such and such haha i would probably end up worse off not that i would.
what happens if i was riding with you tagging along not indicating the same as you we get pulled over you flash your card do they let us both off or just screw me over and go your mates with a cop have a nice day:confused:

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
I got pulled over by a female officer a couple months ago. She ran my plate while behind me at a red light. She said my license didn't show up in the data base. I think she just wanted to check out my bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My pet peeves, riders and drivers who do not use their signals.

Just plain laziness in my opinion. As mentoned by another member, it requires mental and muscle memory. If you are not in the habit of using them, then you will never know if you did or not, a good way to get pulled over. And especially for riders, you need to communicate your intentions. If you're too lazy to use your thumb, try using hand signals, you look much cooler when you do anyways.

I leave at 0500 every morning, and the streets around my neighborhood is totally empty and dark, but I always stop at the stop signs and use my turn signals. One morning, I was caught off guard just a couple of streets away from home, there was a cop around a blind corner at the intersection, but again, I had my signals on. That cop was probably surprised that anyone would use them in the middle of a quite neighborhood at that time of the morning.

As far as changing lanes, changing positions within your lane, that's just part of riding. Motorcycles must constantly adust position to obtain better visiblity and may have to adjust positions to avoid certain surface conditions or objects that a vehicle normally would not have to.