Neutral Light on when clutch in

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep - my FZ has some new features!

Now when I pull in the clutch, my neutral light goes on. It stays on when the clutch is out in Neutral, but yeah - it's a bit odd, rather annoying, and makes me glad I have a good feel for where neutral is on this bike.

Yes - washed my bike last night, also it was pouring on it overnight/today on my ride in - so I figure there's probably a wet connection in there - anyone know where I should look?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I had that last winter in some heavy rain. Nothing to worry about. Just get some GT85 or other water dispersal agent into your clutch switch. Do the side stand switch and clocks while you're at it. Actually, it's generally worth doing as many connections as you can get your hands on anyway when you do it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep - my FZ has some new features!

Now when I pull in the clutch, my neutral light goes on. It stays on when the clutch is out in Neutral, but yeah - it's a bit odd, rather annoying, and makes me glad I have a good feel for where neutral is on this bike.

Yes - washed my bike last night, also it was pouring on it overnight/today on my ride in - so I figure there's probably a wet connection in there - anyone know where I should look?

Reach in above the swing arm pivot and wrestle with the little connector there at the back of the transmission.

You can also go into diagnostic mode and look at:
# 20 Sidestand switch, Extend it and retract it, the value should toggle from ON/OFF.
• Stand retracted ON switch.
• Stand extended OFF

Now do the same for # 21 The Neutral Switch
• Neutral in the transmission displays ON
• In gear displays OFF

Oppsee - thought there was a code for the Clutch Switch. Maybe not...

Here is mine on the center stand riffling through the settings in Diagnostic mode.
S2Diagnostic3_zpsafec7539.gif

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i had this too, i suspect it was the sensor relay in the left pod getting a bit corroded, either that or the connector behind the battery box.

Both of them suffer the same problem

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem as some guys from the UK - must be rain related.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get that dried out and let you know.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i saw this issue a couple of time, normally when it had been very wet out. It once manifested itself with the rear lights and indicators completely failing (and started working once the bike had dried). The indicators not working was definitely due to the harness connector under the battery box being a bit corroded (no problems once I cleaned it up).

I also had the bike think the side stand was down after I fiddled about with the sensor relay, and would die whenever I put it into gear. This was fixed by cleaning up the contacts on the relay with some emery cloth and contact cleaner.

to get at the one behind the battery box you need to remove the battery, untighten the air intake gaskets (underneath) and remove the air box, you can then get behind the battery box.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's not happening when I get out there today - I doubt that I'll actually try to fix it. Been dry since I got to the office.

And I washed my bike yesterday :( for a bike night tonight. Booooo rain.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me last night. Was raining hard all day and lost my turn signal lense.