Neutral indicator in gear?

socker77

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was riding home in the rain, and when I went down into first gear at a stop I saw my neutral indicator wasn't on So I shifted down and my shift peg wouldn't move. I continued on my merry way thinking it would go off and it did whenever I didn't have my clutch lever pulled more than half way in? So the question is does anyone know why the neutral indicator would come on (while im in gear) if my clutch lever is half way pulled in? After the half way mark the indicator turns on.

First thing would be to check the obvious. Like wires to the clutch safety switch and any associated connectors. Generally the neutral light comes on at a specific voltage that the ECU sees from what they call a GPS (Gear Position Sensor) It would seem something is upsetting the signal. I've heard someone say the FZ6 does not have a GPS but if you can install a gear position readout like the Acuman then it must get the varied voltage reading from somewhere
Don't know about the FZ6 but some vehicles get funny instrument outputs when there is a bulb out. It's the engineers way of getting someones attention where they might not normally look at lamps. Check all your lamps are working and if there is one out replace it and see if the cluster behaves.
Let us know what you try and find!:thumbup:

Cliff is correct about the gear indicator,if you install an acumen you must fit a diode in the nuetral wire to stop the light coming on in gear.
Also,riding in the rain or washing the bike will also create the same symptom .
As you say you are riding in the rain I would say that is the culprit,once it drys it will behave as normal.

The neutral light switch should be located at the top of the engine (behind the cylinders) at the top of the transmission. It has a wire that connects to it, then to the wiring harness. It should ground out to activate the light when in neutral. Most Yamaha's, the switch rides on the shifter drum after screwing into the block itself.

I suspect when wet, water is getting in to the harness/connector, causing a false ground some where inbetween your connectors.

Some dilectric grease at all the connectors to the switch should keep the water/corrosion out solving the problem...

Ya it was only when I was riding through the rain it stayed on after it dried off in the garage there wasn't a problem anymore. I looked for where the neutral indicator screws into the block to see if that was the problem but it was a little more difficult to find then I expected.

Back