need storage, hard cases?

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my '09 fz6 will be here in a couple weeks (dealer says dec. 11th, stoked!) and I'll be using it for my main mode of transport, weather and work permitting.
I have to travel to several different locations during the typical day, and change in and out of my riding gear at each one. I need a storage solution that will fit my riding jacket and pants, a soft laptop bag (fairly small, laptop has a 14.5" screen) a small lunch box, and a pair of shoes. I'll bring my helmet in with me where I go.
Do you think all this will fit in a single top case, or should I get the dual side cases? How evenly do I have to load the side cases not to feel off weighted?
What is more comfortable to ride with?
I've never used a bike as a commuter before, any wisdom is much appreciated.:Flash:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 45L topcase and think it would fit most everything you listed assuming that you don't really intend to keep it all in the case at once but you'd be pushing it.

I carry my laptop/messenger bag (a Timbuk2 so pretty big), shoes, lunch, my emergency kit and spare gloves in my topcase and when I get to work I swap out the laptop, lunch & shoes and leave my helmet and gloves with room to spare. While I don't actually do it, I suspect without the helmet I would be able to store my jacket and riding pants easily and prolly reasonable height riding boots. You could always add a largish tankbag which would hold shoes/lunch if you need to store more things.

Of course a bigger topcase = more space as do the side cases.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the vast majority of the time the pair of shoes and the lap top will be coming with me, although the shoes will be replaced by ridng boots, so I guess that's a wash.

A

Aggietaco

I think you could probably get away with one of the 40+L top cases. I've got the PLX35 side cases on my fizz and I can stuff just about everything I need in there. I regularly cary spare gloves, a fleece, my lunch, work boots, glasses, and my briefcase on the way to the office.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A topcase will hold all that. I have a V46 and love it. There's a 52L case available if you need even more space.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the 52L topcase for my commuting purposes in the city. It hold quite a lot and actually is not that wide. I think it is better and more convenient for commuting than side cases. Also, you can still lane split in CA. :)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have KAPPA top box and side boxes on mine and I almost never take them off, even though I can have them all off in about 20 seconds.

Cheaper than GIVI and just as good in my opinion, and I have done thousands of KM with them as well taking hem on a plane as luggage.

KAPPA.com I think.

Pic is returning from France to Denmark. The boxes took 2 peoples gear for a week. Bag on top of the topbox is the tent.

Steve

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like having both top and side cases so you can pack either way (or both) depending on your ride. Also recommend top-loading side cases so stuff doesn't fall out when they are opened- and they make decent ice chests in a pinch. I've had very good experiences with Givi cases.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for the input guys. Looks like the top case will fill the bill for me. I hadn't thought about the lane splitting thing, but there's definitely times I'm going to want to do that (101 freeway, 4pm).
Any other "must haves" for moto commuting from those who do it regularly? I've got the armor thing covered.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for the input guys. Looks like the top case will fill the bill for me. I hadn't thought about the lane splitting thing, but there's definitely times I'm going to want to do that (101 freeway, 4pm).
Any other \"must haves\" for moto commuting from those who do it regularly? I've got the armor thing covered.

If you ride in the cold, can highly reccomend the use of Heated Grips, and wind deflectors, for your hands, keeps them out of the wind blast, and toasty warm!

Neither are that expensive, and easy to install yourself.

:thumbup:

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A magnetic tank bag is very handy too- especially one with a map holder on top. Just make sure the one you like fits the tank before you buy it, and a safety strap for the tank bag is a good feature too. The advantage to magnetic is that you can take it off in about two seconds and carry it in somewhere if you have security concerns.

cyberfilly

Reaction score
Visit site
Removable Givi V46 with brake light is definitely the way to go. Use it for commuting weekdays, then remove it and ride the back road twisties on the weekend.

I also got the matching cover in Yamaha Blue -- matched perfectly and looks awesome!

I have to say the top case makes the bike slightly more tippy at very slow speeds.

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really interested in adding some side cases, anyone with feedback on the Givi's, cost, installation difficulty etc or alternatives?

I think the side cases add a nice look to the bike, along with functionality.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
When I commute, I also need to swap out the entire riding gear with work clothes, and somehow leave that stuff with the bike. I have CoreTech saddle bags and tailbag, but I can't fit any of my riding gear in it. I have a heavy cable that I thread through the front wheel, through helmet, and through jacket/pants, then lock together. So it's all secure, but takes a bit of extra time to lock it all down. I put the boots/gloves into the tailbag, which I can lock closed with a flimsy little padlock in a pretty non-secure manner (the whole tailbag could be removed pretty easily). I'm looking to get a topcase to throw all that crap in there without bothering with chaining it onto the front wheel.

recko

dennis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using Bagster's Sherpa tank bag which clips on to its tank bra (see picture below). I'm using the lower tier everyday to bring my laptop to work. I'm also using a Kappa 49L topbox which allows me to store 2 helmets and 2 sets of raincoats. :p

791122592_big.jpg

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
When I commute, I also need to swap out the entire riding gear with work clothes, and somehow leave that stuff with the bike. I have CoreTech saddle bags and tailbag, but I can't fit any of my riding gear in it. I have a heavy cable that I thread through the front wheel, through helmet, and through jacket/pants, then lock together. So it's all secure, but takes a bit of extra time to lock it all down. I put the boots/gloves into the tailbag, which I can lock closed with a flimsy little padlock in a pretty non-secure manner (the whole tailbag could be removed pretty easily). I'm looking to get a topcase to throw all that crap in there without bothering with chaining it onto the front wheel.

That sounds like a PITA, I think you should buy a topcase.:D