Need some help deciding what kind of bike to get!!!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
As to puttering around before the MSF class: don't bother. The Basic Riders Course assumes you have never even sat a motorcycle before (which was my condition when I took it). You will spend the first 15 minutes "power walking": keeping the clutch in the friction zone just enough to move forward with your feet "walking" along. One of things I appreciated about the MSF BRC was how slowly it started you out. I never would have spent 15 minutes power walking if I already had my own bike at home. But it's good to get used to it in very small increments.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As to puttering around before the MSF class: don't bother. The Basic Riders Course assumes you have never even sat a motorcycle before (which was my condition when I took it). You will spend the first 15 minutes "power walking": keeping the clutch in the friction zone just enough to move forward with your feet "walking" along. One of things I appreciated about the MSF BRC was how slowly it started you out. I never would have spent 15 minutes power walking if I already had my own bike at home. But it's good to get used to it in very small increments.

:Im With Stupid: 1000% +1 million etc. You do NOT need to ride before the MSF class.

If you don't care so much about dumping your presumably new bike, because you will especially before the MSF class, I think you'll be fine tooling around a parking lot or something. Make sure if you practice before the class (and anytime really) that you have a good open space (no parking lot space bumpers ... you know, those concrete things in front of each space?) and good line of sight so you can easily see the entrance/exit(s) to the parking lot/area.

I had a Vulcan 500 - same engine in a cruiser - for my first bike and if you take it carefully, you'll be OK *AND* have a blast.

... not condoning irresponsible riding but I once smoked an a-hole in a brand new M3 who purposefully cut me off on my way to a red light. Smoked him until I laid off the gas. :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike! I was looking at a Kawasaki 650R before deciding on the FZ6 (I, as you now, used to have an in-line twin and always wanted an in-line 4). I think you're making a good choice. Yeah, you're probably going to low-speed stall it while getting accustomed to it, no? Have shop (or DIY) install FRAME SLIDERS if this model benifits from them. Maybe take maiden voyage on dirt or grassy area? This would mitigate drop damage. Thanks for visiting this forum! (I didn't think about M/C forums until after my purchase). Boy, you have a 4.8 gallong tank? You should have excellent range.

dadsafrantic

Reaction score
Visit site
Nevermind talking me out of a FZ6. I read some posts on a couple other forums with the exact same response as the one I got here. With that much experience saying no I am in no position to disagree. Although taking some advice recieved here I have looked at the Suzuki GS500F and found it to be a very attractive bike. What does everyone think of that for a starter bike.

i don't know if you have gotten a bike yet...but i have put 22,450 miles on my 06 gs500f in less than 2 years with no problems at all. i am actually looking to go up to an fz6 for my new longer commute (18k per year). gs = easy on the pocket book. i don't know about the ninja 500 but their forums are pretty scarce when it comes to ral info. check out the GStwin.com GS500 Message Forum - Index for some serious posters. :Sport:

Last edited:

Davop

Reaction score
Visit site
The Suzuki SV650s or Kawasaki Ninja 650 are better for new riders than 4cyl 600s. They are a bit easier to handle, and the engine not so peaky and powerful. But they are just as capable on the freeway. Grab too much throttle on a 4cyl as a newbie and your in trouble. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide.