need help with my fz6naked from Italy

vmaiello

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone

I reached this forum after a google searching..

I live in Italy in Naples, and I am looking for help with my fz6 naked (2005)

I bought it at 13k kilometers, in 2012.

It's mant months I have a strange problem with the exhaust pipe. The 2nd passenger starts to smell very bad as he/she get on the bike, even with slow speeds in city rides.

I started to look on italian forums and it seems it is a general problem with high exaust pipes on middle 2000s motorbikes (as honda hornet, suzuki gsr etc)

I am writing to know if there is the same problem elsewhere and if you can give me some tips not to waste my money trying to get over the problem with no results.

Somebody told me with a change of air filter, oil filter and some others I will get able to go over it but i am afraid this will not solve the problem as they are saying on italian forums so that I will consider to give the fz6 away for another bike

The bike has 23k kilometers right now and I only changed motor oil 1k kilometers ago

Please let me know

greetings from italy

Vincenzo

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say the second rider starts to smell, is it an exhaust smell? You may just have an exhaust leak around the mid-pipe or actual muffler. I would take a good look at both of those and make sure there aren't any holes rusted in, and tighten the hardware holding the mid-pipe to the header and the muffler.

Also, :welcome: to the forums!

vmaiello

Reaction score
Visit site
yes it is! an horrible exhaust smell

dont you have any on your fz6s?

I am not very expert in motorbikes and mechanics too I think I need some help I will start to check if there are some of the problems you described:thumbup:

I dont think there is any leak it's just a bad smell coming from the exhaust

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!
I had the same thing when I had my FZ6. It was when I would ride with my wife on the back. :cheer: Especially when the engine is cold and will run a little rich.
The other factor is when there is a passenger, there is a vacuum formed at their back that helps draft the exhaust, keeping it near them so that it does not dissipate. I think the secret is breaking that vacuum more than anything else. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Questions:
What year is it, does it have the OEM main catalytic converter?
Does it have an aftermarket fuel controller?
Does it have stock OEM muffler?

If you rev it, can you see black smoke?

Its state of tune could effect this as well as emissions hardware (present/not present).

To break draft, passenger stands up on foot pegs? :don'tknow: :spank:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum vmaiello :cheer:

Sorry can't help you with the exhaust problem, I've never had a problem with it but my wife doesn't like riding pillion anyway :(

By the way there is an Italy section on this forum if you or any of your friends want to post there : http://www.600riders.com/forum/italy/. It just seems strange that I'm the only one to have posted there :eek:

Anyway good luck with your problem :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had an issues with smell either by myself or pillion. (and my sniffer works extremly well)..

Besides the above posts, check your entire exhaust system, any HOT parts that something may be in contact with them. Something potentially stuck on the header, cooking / smoking too..

There should NOT be any smells to speak of, short of the bike running improperly, too rich, etc... My bike, even in cold mode, the richness is so very little, you couldn't smell it moving even if you wanted to..

Does it have an after market PCM?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
it can be cat piss may be. They always piss my bike and it smells disgusting.
I don't know if you have any cats hanging around freely in Europe or US but here, people like them around and they are on the top of the food chain. No other animal can eat them including us :D

vmaiello

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks anyone for replies

motorbike is 100% original, no aftermarket parts

i think there isnt any hole in the exhaust neither cat piss but my only fear is to pay for some mechanical assistence that will not solve the problem

there is no problem riding alone (or not so disgusting anyway)

i will keep you updadte