Need Help - Paint Job Gone Wrong!

amolwankhede

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

Looking at some of the mods here, I removed the raditor side covers (silver painted) to paint them black.

I spray painted them and thought to gove second coat. After sencond coat, the paint got cracked and shoed unusual behavior, finish is not smooth and showing cracked surface. I used rust oleum flat black.

Then i tried to use thinned and remove the wet paint, which screwed up the whole paint job as there was some dried paint which was not easy to remove.

can I buy already painted side covers somewhere?

W

wrightme43

Try again. Hot, low humidity day. The cracking is caused by thinner in the paint underlayer boiling thru the top coat.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

Looking at some of the mods here, I removed the raditor side covers (silver painted) to paint them black.

I spray painted them and thought to gove second coat. After sencond coat, the paint got cracked and shoed unusual behavior, finish is not smooth and showing cracked surface. I used rust oleum flat black.

Then i tried to use thinned and remove the wet paint, which screwed up the whole paint job as there was some dried paint which was not easy to remove.

can I buy already painted side covers somewhere?

Let it dry, sand the old paint off, clean, re-paint and don`t wait too long between coats... 2-3 minutes should be enough, 2-3 light coats are plenty for the rad covers.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let it dry, sand the old paint off, clean, re-paint and don`t wait too long between coats... 2-3 minutes should be enough, 2-3 light coats are plenty for the rad covers.

Would Zip Strip help the process along? I've used it on metal but not on plastic. Not sure if it would eat the plastic too.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Would Zip Strip help the process along? I've used it on metal but not on plastic. Not sure if it would eat the plastic too.

IIRC the rad covers are aluminum so I am sure it would work... I personally wouldn`t bother though, these can be painted "roughly" and no-one will notice... I did mine in 5minutes and it was ready to go.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC the rad covers are aluminum so I am sure it would work... I personally wouldn`t bother though, these can be painted "roughly" and no-one will notice... I did mine in 5minutes and it was ready to go.

Good point, I was thinking of the rad guard, the plastic thing.

Thanks for keeping me on track!

Buell, right???

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Good point, I was thinking of the rad guard, the plastic thing.

Thanks for keeping me on track!

Buell, right???

Negative... I am talking to my dealer about an '08 or '09 (maybe) Triumph Street Triple... I think my heart is set :D

It`ll look something like this:

2668626492_f24368ceae_o.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT8g1Wav_HE&NR=1"]YouTube - Kevin Carmichael shows off the new Triumph Street Triple[/ame]

/threadjack

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Jeeze, that will save you some effort in the customizing dept now won't it... What are you doing with your laser exhaust :drool:

Well this one is slightly customized too hehe

The laser will stay on the totaled bike... I don`t want to deal with anything as long as I get the $$ from my insurance for my aftermarket parts (I have added a $2k insurance for mods).

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the painting.... Brake Cleaner will strip the Rustoleum clean to the metal. Wash with Dawn dish detergent, rinse throughly and then dry completely. Now, when you paint, you want to "dust" the part every 5 - 10 minutes until it is covered. Do not try to put a coat on the first sweep that covered the part the first time. Very light coatings.

Hold the can about 8 - 12 inches away from the part. Start your spray before you reach the part and sweep your can parallel to the part, not in an arch. End the spray after you've gone past the end of the part. Once in both directions, then let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes (5 in less humidity and heat over 70 degrees, 10 in higher heat and humidity). When the part is covered, stop spraying! Don't try to make it a thicker coat! You're symptom is a classic case of too much paint all at once.

Let us know how it goes! If you have doubts, try practicing on scrap metals first.

Last, PICS when you've got it nailed! :thumbup: Good luck!

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys I'll be doing this soon too. I'm kind of planning to do the whole bike in flat black at some point, but I just washed it and it looks too shiny to think about changing it, maybe this winter.

I love the speed triple! Go for it, those things are wheelie machines! I don't care who it is though, no way would I be laying on the ground letting someone show off their skills in not ripping my face off or crushing my balls. Still a great vid though.

amolwankhede

Reaction score
Visit site
Need Help - Paint Job Gone Wrong! - New Pics Insdie!

So Here you Go....

Thanks All who Helped me getting my paint back to "Normal" again.:thumbup:

Here are some Pictures.

DSC09228.jpg

DSC09230.jpg

DSC09235.jpg

HERE IS MY OTHER BIKE :)

DSC08988.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow looks great! I love that R6 too! What a sharp bike, lucky dog...