need help, how to clean chain?

Reaction score
Visit site
I cleaned my chain this weekend using the DuPont Multipurpose Cleaner and Lubricant, and a toothbrush. It took about an 1.5 hrs to do it. Excellent, especially getting this volcanic dust and grime off the chain.

I also used a cut in half one gallon plastic water bottle with groves cut out to run the chain through...no mess (well just the hands).

Both of these ideas I got from this forum. Mahalo

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a cheap lazy method. Old toothbrush, rag, can of silicone spray, and can of chain lube.
The chain was rusty as hell before and I hadn't cleaned/lubed it since I bought it 2,500 miles ago.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 is probably not the best way to go. The way I understand it is that it will replace the grease/chain wax/whatever in the o-ring's themselves, and is not as good a lubricator in this application. I do not know this from experience though, so take it as my opinion and not fact. But if you run into chain issues down the road, keep that in mind. Cheers!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
WD40 is probably not the best way to go. The way I understand it is that it will replace the grease/chain wax/whatever in the o-ring's themselves, and is not as good a lubricator in this application. I do not know this from experience though, so take it as my opinion and not fact. But if you run into chain issues down the road, keep that in mind. Cheers!

More importantly.. what made you resurrect this thread? Last reply was: 12-18-2008 :eek:

But since I'm here: I use a rag soaked in kerosene to clean my chain.. followed by a chain brush. I did use WD40 last time I cleaned it though.. it was particularly nasty and kerosene alone wasn't cutting it.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dripped sunlight manually into EACH chain link. then i would hold a STRONG power-jet of water on that link for 15 seconds. I did that for each side of the chain and for each link for each length of chain. I then sprayed another large portion of WD-40 on each link. I then again held a power stream of water on it for 20 seconds or so for each link for each side. I did one complete revolution of the chain thusly.

I hate to say it, but you're probably just destroyed the chain!

Hi-pressure water jets can ruin the o-rings and/or displace the greases inside the links.

I realise this is an old thread, but I'd not be surprised if the chain didn't last much longer.

Kerro and a soft bristled toothbrush for me! (and must pay attention not to scrub too hard and damage the o-rings)

Cheers,
Rick

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really dumb question here: where the hell does one actually buy kerosene??? :confused: I found some at Home Despot but I really don't think I need 5 gallons to start out with...

Quite a blast from the past, this thread; wonder where some of those guys/gals went... :confused: :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really dumb question here: where the hell does one actually buy kerosene??? :confused: I found some at Home Despot but I really don't think I need 5 gallons to start out with...

Quite a blast from the past, this thread; wonder where some of those guys/gals went... :confused: :(

I got mine at HD too.. 1 gallon.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site

Got mine in a blue bottle from Walmart.

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Around here about 50% of gas stations have a seperate kerosene pump. :thumbup:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had to clean my chain because it doesn't get dirty. I just reapply the chain wax every so often. :thumbup: