Need advice on Tires

hurrican3p

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Still using the factory set. Need to change 'em out (8.5K)

I need a good all around tire. I know this is vague.

I've had good luck with metzler in the past on a different bike.

I'm a commuter, not a track rider.

-The Hurricane

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
There are quite a few tire threads on here. Everybody has their favorites. Being a commuter, you'll more than likely want a dual-compound tire. I just bought a set of Michelin PRs and will be installing them soon.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah.. lots and lots of tire threads on here, but to make it real simple for you.. if you want to stick to Metzler, Z8 is loved by everyone on this forum.

If you want Michelin, PR2 or PR3 is it. If you want a good cheap choice: Shinko 009 Raven is good.

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used PR2's on 2 bikes and loved them! I was looking for a lower cost alternative and Shinko 009 Ravens always popped up. Great reviews and awesome price! :thumbup: Just picked one up for my Bandit 1200. Have not rode on it yet, but from the reviews, I should not be disappointed.

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin PR2's and 3's are probably the most popular choice for long life commuting & sport touring.
But I just bought the Metzeler Z8's 'cause of the good things I've heard about them.
Supposedly long life, and excellent traction in wet & dry conditions.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin PR2's and 3's are probably the most popular choice for long life commuting & sport touring.
But I just bought the Metzeler Z8's 'cause of the good things I've heard about them.
Supposedly long life, and excellent traction in wet & dry conditions.

I'm blown away by PR2's life. I have 7.5k miles on mine, on FZ1 (supposedly eats tires faster than FZ6) and they still look nearly new! :eek:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
2 I have experience with:

PR3's -I've used the 2's extensively, great tire.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 Rear Tire - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

And Angel GT's (supposed to be improved over the ST's which i currently use on my bike)-Also great tires!

Pirelli Angel GT Sport Touring Rear Tire - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Going to put some Metzler Z8's on this summer after seeing some rave reviews from a couple of our members from "Down Under". :D

Pretty much anything that isn't the stock tire is an improvement from what i'm told :thumbup:

Good luck!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Still using the factory set. Need to change 'em out (8.5K)

I need a good all around tire. I know this is vague.

I've had good luck with metzler in the past on a different bike.

I'm a commuter, not a track rider.

-The Hurricane

There you go: answered your own question.

Humpy, Kazza, mave2911 and I all run the Z-8's.

I know that Humpy's and Kazza's reccomendations of this tyre made me read more about them and the reviews give them a big thumbs up for longevity, wet/dry performance and stickiness. I have to say they are right. great tyre

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that Humpy's and Kazza's reccomendations of this tyre made me read more about them and the reviews give them a big thumbs up for longevity, wet/dry performance and stickiness. I have to say they are right. great tyre

Yeah - thanks to Humpy and Kazza - because I have no opinion either way.... (LOL! :D )

But, let's not forget the Z8 Interact has never been know to delaminate, like the Michelin products!

But, on my last set of Michelin PR5000, I got 1.2million miles, and the wheel wasn't even down to the hubs! Sure, the tyre delaminated at 5mi, but riding straight on the rims means I have saved at least 1 billion dollars (little finger in corner of mouth) on tyres! (stopping and turning can be dicey though.......)

Cheers,
Rick

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the Shinko 009 Ravens...7k on them now and prob 3-4k left on the rear, the front still looks new. I just looked at Motorcycle Superstore, they have them as a set for about $180 shipped.

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
In a word - Michelin.
Seriously, they make such a great tyre. For commuting i have found the Pilot Road 2/3's perfect. Great grip - in wet or dry. They are even ok on track days but take just a little longer to warm up than the softer Pure/Power's. I used a Pure on the front for my last tyre but i only got around 8000kms from it where i got almost 20000kms from my Road 2.
My current config is Road 3 on front and Road 2 on rear. Perfect.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Like a lot of others on here said, PR2's are a great all around tire. I put 7k miles on mine last year, and I plan on doing another 7-10k this year! Then, maybe, I'll get a new set... :D

Reaction score
Visit site
Nobody recommended to re-buy the stockers :BLAA: ..My Dunlops went for 13,6xx and still had some tread left.
That Z8 is mounted, but I haven't ridden it yet. The front Z8 is arriving today :thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm blown away by PR2's life. I have 7.5k miles on mine, on FZ1 (supposedly eats tires faster than FZ6) and they still look nearly new! :eek:

I'm right behind you on my Fz1. I've got about 5.5k miles on a set of PR2's. I do about 85% commuting with them so far. Only showing some signs of wear down the center of the rear, but I romp on the throttle like a dick, way too much. the front still looks brand new, probably cause the front wheel has so little weight on it from all the hard acceleration, LOL.

I hate them on the twisty's though, I've not once felt confidence from them. I've felt the bike and I were capable of much more but the tire feels like it's just about to bust loose too easily and I'm about to low side. What I have to do is compensate and hang off the side a little more and keep the bike upright. It's the opposite of my S20's that felt like they would stick to anything.

My next tire I'm planning on the Pilot Power 3. Supposed to be a dual compound for improved life close to the Pilot Road but more sticky on the sides as well as better traction for acceleration out of corners.

Last edited:

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Just adding a bump for Michelin PR2's. I love them, put a ton of miles on my bike with them (I have a ~45 minute ride to work).

Can't say they're better or worse than others, because it's all I've ridden the fz on, but they work great for me in all conditions.