narrowed my selection down to 3...opinions?

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted this earlier, but had some new ideas, so I'll repost this in hopes of some advice. I'm new here, and to street bikes in general. I used to ride some dirt bikes, but that was only for a few months and over 8 years ago, so I doubt that experience will help a lot.

I live in Central PA and just got my license with the highest MSF score in the class.

So now I'm looking for a good deal on a bike since winter is approaching.

I had looked at and sat on (but not driven) tons of bikes including: Gladius, Street Triple, Sprint ST, VFR, FZ6, GSX-650F, SV650, GS500, Ninja 650R, Ninja 500, FZ-6R, etc.

I narrowed it down to a used SV650, SV650S or FZ6, mainly for the cheaper price, good reviews, aluminum frames and availabilty of parts.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I am a beginning rider 22 years old, but responsible (no tickets and no accidents even with owning a modified 450hp Corvette since 17 and my DD Charger R/T for 2 years) and got my head on right (start easy, back roads, getting full gear already).

I want a reliable bike that's powerful but not overly so. I'm 280lbs (in full gear) and 5'10, so its going to be lugging a big guy, hence why I'm wanting a 600 to start with.

I eventually want to get my dream bike, a GSX-R750....eventually. So I also decided to think about a SV650S.

Some other facts. It will be used mainly for back-road weekend cruises, city travel (city here means 35mph roads with stoplights ever 1/4-1/2 mile, so more like "congested country roads" ), and maybe some 70 mile trips (one way) to visit my sister and possibly some 140 mile trips (one way) to visit my parents on the highway. If I did those long highway trips, it would probably only be one, mayyyybe two, weekends a month.

So, I was leaning toward the FZ just cause it looks better, but more importantly I "fit" it better. However, some others are swaying my opinion and saying the V-twin is a better motor for a starter, especially my size :D, over the FZ6. However, they did say a naked SV is going to be almost impossible to do with a 150 mile highway one-way ride.

I was wondering a few things. I figure with a 750cc SS down the road, the FZ might be better to get used to an inline 4. However, in the same idea, the 650S might be better as its forward leaning, and more like the gixxer, which would get me more used to that.

Also, will the peaky inline 4 motor give a beginner trouble, and if so, should I get an SV? Basically, should I get the better distance cruiser for the one time a month I do that much highway driving, that might not be as suited around town with (FZ6), or a 'potentially' better back roads and weekday bike that is going to cause a lot of trouble on the highway, which I might not even miss (SV650).

It would be a lot better if I could see how "peaky" the motor was on the FZ6 was, but no dealer or local private party seller will let me test ride them (since I would be financing majority). Likewise it'd be nice to ride a SV650, but can't for the same reasons.

At the same time, all I ever drove on the street was my friend's 250 Ninja. I think I might be over thinking things, as even a "peaky-ness" of the FZ6 motor would produce more torque than that. I could see that being an issue if I went from say a Harley to a FZ, but if I haven't ridden a V-twin, nor an inline 4 to compare, will it really have a problem down low. (Not sure if I worded that right)

Anyways, thanks for the forum, its always nice to lurk here, and finally start posting. I realize I might get some biased answers :D, but you guys and gals seem to be honest and thus would tell me if a FZ won't work!

SLIK4

Reaction score
Visit site
hi and :welcome: i am pretty new here myself and don't have a bike like you but am considering the fz6 as well. not sure if i'll be much help but i'll try. as far as the seating position between the sv650s and the fz6...i believe there are after market handle bars that you could purchase to make the fz6 sportier. as far as the engine is concerned...my friend has an sv650s and hasn't had if for long and he already wants something with more get up and go. sounds to me like with your situation you would be best off getting the fz6. that way your already used to the inline 4 feel in case you do decide to get the gxsr. plus from what i heard the 4s are smoother on those longer rides than the twins. hope you get some more knowledgeable people to help you out but i thought i would give it a shot. once again :welcome:

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 SV650N (naked) and I've briefly ridden an FZ6. Here's some info you might find helpful.

Wind:
You can ride the naked SV on the highway for as long as you want. I don't even have a windscreen, you just get used to it. I used to have a Ninja 500R and the windscreen would cause all kinds of head turbulence. You get nothing but "clean" air with the SV. The "S" version will give you some chest protection on the highway as will the FZ.

Ergos:
The naked SV has you somewhat upright, but not as much as the stock FZ6. It also has you leaned more forward. The clip-ons that the SVS have will have you leaned over much more aggressively and you'll have to learn to hold yourself up with your core muscles to keep the weight off your wrists. It will make your longer than 30 minute rides a little more uncomfortable. Also note, that as a beginner, you want to have as much visibility as possible, so the relative upright seating position is rather ideal. It also makes for easier flickability. The pegs in comparison to the FZ are WAY different. The SV, whether naked or "S" have pegs that are high and back. Great for the twisties, but suck for long highway rides. Btw, I'm 5'10" and about 235lbs. The FZ's pegs by comparison are lower and more forward. They make for a more relaxing ride, but will scrape way before an SV will.

Engine:
The v-twin of the SV is an absolute hoot to hooligan around on, as any v-twin in a light bike is, ask anyone who owns a Buell! The power is immediate, no revving needed, just twist and go. It's been said many times that the SV650 has plenty of power for real world riding and I couldn't agree more. In town, you'll have power to get past any car/situation, anytime. No joke. Practically no down-shifting needed. It's not a hugely powerful engine, but it's got LOT's of torque. Those that say they need more power either need to twist the throttle more or go to a drag strip on a 'busa. All this greatness comes at a price however; in the form of vibrations like only a v-twin can give you. I find it funny when people who ride FZ's complain about the "vibrations" they get at 4.5-7K rpms. I've experienced them and it's NOTHING compared to the vibrations I deal with on my SV. The FZ's motor is SMOOTH, it's got enough power to get you moving down low. From what I hear, once you get it past 7-8K rpms you'll find the "sport" part of the bike. I didn't get the engine that high as it was someone else's bike and we were on city streets. The SV will require you to learn smooth throttle inputs as well as clutch modulation; slipping the clutch. If you let off the throttle suddenly you WILL be jerked back and forth, not a good feeling. In this respect, the FZ is more forgiving.

Suspension:
The FZ may be a little better, but bottom line is at our sizes, we'll need some aftermarket support. You can get new springs for about $100, plus some new fork oil, then for the SV, a cheap alternative to an expensive shock is to get a ZX-14R shock. Do those two things and you'll have a great handling bike. For the FZ, get the springs up front and then just adjust the rear by increasing the preload. From what I could tell, the rear shock is better on the FZ than the SV.

Here's a link to a thread I made about these two bikes: http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/24570-been-looking-fz6-next-bike-but-4.html

Post #33 is my review and comparison between my SV and the FZ6. You can read through the whole thread to get some good info. As UncleG posted in that thread, overall the SV is the good twisty/short ride bike, the FZ is the better one for all the rest of your riding.

If you have any other questions regarding SV650's, go ahead and ask, I'll be more than happy to help. :thumbup:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't really add anything to that, other than that my mate has an SV650 and it's tiny compared to the FZ6. I'd have thought you'd be more comfortable on the larger bike.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like you have your head on straight which ever you choose. good luck to you and be safe.
i had a fz6 now have fz1 and love them both. still wished i hadn't traded the fz6--kept both. go to the sv forums and see what kind of trouble--if any they have with them. the fz6 motors are indestructible.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned both (SV650 naked and FZ6).... The FZ6 is hands down a better bike. The SV has a better low end, but is limited on the highway. The FZ6 has more power for the highway, especially when needing to pass....

ibsrp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned both a Suzuki DL 650 (same engine as the SV) and I now own the FZ6.

Although I loved my DL650 the engine in the FZ6 is much more desirable in my
opinion. Especially if you plan to spend any time on the highway at speeds of + 60 mph.

The only real drawbacks I've noticed so far on this bike is the wind noise and not being able to see behind me in the rear view mirrors.

I have not solved either of the problems yet but I'm sure I will and then I will be completely satisfied with this bike! :Flash:

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
The only real drawbacks I've noticed so far on this bike is the wind noise and not being able to see behind me in the rear view mirrors.

I have not solved either of the problems yet but I'm sure I will and then I will be completely satisfied with this bike! :Flash:

For wind noise, wear some ear plugs. They'll not only cut down on noise and save your hearing, but they'll also cut down fatigue.

As for the mirrors, I'm actually quite surprised you can see behind you. The FZ mirrors are the best I've experienced as they're so wide. You can always get mirror extenders or replace them entirely with bar end mirrors.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll give you my take from the other side (a 50+ rider with lots of saddle time). I have dirt dikes and a FJR 1300 a nice 145hp mile eater but was looking for a fun day/ play bike for riding in the mountians where I live. Looked real hard at the SV but my wrists wouldn't like the" screw a turttle" riding position of a bike with clip ons.
Then I read a great shoot out between the SV, Ninja and the FZ6. The only catagory won by the Suzuki was handling in the twisties, no doubt a v twin is better at side to side transitions but the Yamaha clearly out preformed in comfort, power, fit and finish and far better brakes.
Yes you can ride without a windshield but after a while on a windy day you will feel it, the Fz is just right. Right now you say you may only ride 140 miles but once you start riding that will increase if you love to ride. I did 180 miles with a bud yesterday by 1:30 he had to get home to the honey do's so I gased up and rode another 80 just for fun!
Comfort is very important (if you not happy on the bike you won't ride as much).
Power, no doubt the v twin responds now BUT it still only makes 60+ plus compaired to 85 of the FZ. Don't worry about the peaky power, the Fz is very docile below 7K and above that it just wakes up-yoohoo! The throttle works both ways, it's up to you. When I ride the fun roads my FZ never gets below 8K and I am having a ball, it's about using a smooth throttle hand.
I think for your size and wanting to work up to a 750 Gixer (nice bike) the FZ6 with it's better power would be a fun bike to learn on.
You are doing your homework (very smart) and buying used ( save bucks and sell it if you don't like it). Good luck on your choice

andysadd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

I bought my FZ6 a month ago after a 7 to 8 year break! Before I purchased I tried an sv650 and the FZ6 aswel as a CBF600. My criteria was a forgiving bike that i could have fun on as wel as complete a 300mile journey in realitive comfort!

I initialy took out the sv650 around town it was great but riding position made my wrists ache a bit but thats just as i wasnt used to being in that position, on the motorway it was ok but i just did'nt feel comfortable on it.

I then tried the FZ6 it was great around town, plwnty of power , more comfortable than the sv and easier to check the blindspots. On the motorway this bike was a dream, tons of power and get the revs yp to 8000 and it really comes alive,

I went for the FZ6 and so far i have no regrets, my car has not had a look in as yet as im enjoying the bike to much

Andy

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you can ride without a windshield but after a while on a windy day you will feel it, the Fz is just right.
Comfort is very important (if you not happy on the bike you won't ride as much).
Power, no doubt the v twin responds now BUT it still only makes 60+ plus compared to 85 of the FZ.

I whole heartedly agree about the windshield; it's ok not having one, but only for a while on the highway. It makes for some fatigue inducing hellish rides when you're at 80+mph and there's any kind of head wind. It will definitely taint your riding if you do a lot of highway.

I will however, point out that your HP numbers are off. The 2nd gen SV makes about 72hp/47 ft-lb and the FZ6 makes 97hp/46 ft-lb. Also, the SV weights a little less, but not much. The only reason the SV feels like it has more torque is because it's always available. Regardless, I still like the FZ6 better!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you getting your HP numbers at. The manufacture? They lie, my numbers are rear wheel dyno not the manufacture's measured crank number on the best bike they ever built.
Beware of false advertising.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you getting your HP numbers at. The manufacture? They lie, my numbers are rear wheel dyno not the manufacture's measured crank number on the best bike they ever built.
Beware of false advertising.

No one goes by dyno numbers unless specified, so how was I or anyone else to know? No need to warn me, I know A LOT about false advertising, could write numerous papers on the subject. However you did the same thing because you lacked to specify your numbers were rear wheel hp numbers. ;)

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For me the FZ is my very first bike, never road dirt bikes or anything, a couple things that really caught my attention about the FZ was the PRICE!! lol the more upright style of sitting especially when riding 2 up, the availability of mods to make a more "sporty" riding position if desired, and of course the motor which is just absolutely an amazing motor on this bike, sorry i don't have any other experience on other bikes but for me being a first time rider, i love this bike. oh and you will never get bored when you hit those higher RPMS oh man what a rush! :rockon:

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I go house hunting for one day and this thread is 2 pages long. Awesome reading material guys!

I'll try to specifiy some things.

I have an '05 SV650N (naked) and I've briefly ridden an FZ6. Here's some info you might find helpful....

Here's a link to a thread I made about these two bikes: http://www.600riders.com/forum/usa-pacific/24570-been-looking-fz6-next-bike-but-4.html

Post #33 is my review and comparison between my SV and the FZ6. You can read through the whole thread to get some good info. As UncleG posted in that thread, overall the SV is the good twisty/short ride bike, the FZ is the better one for all the rest of your riding.

If you have any other questions regarding SV650's, go ahead and ask, I'll be more than happy to help. :thumbup:

Awesome personal review! Also, thank you for the thread link!

I have owned both (SV650 naked and FZ6).... The FZ6 is hands down a better bike. The SV has a better low end, but is limited on the highway. The FZ6 has more power for the highway, especially when needing to pass....

I also read this, however, my only concern is I don't know how much highway riding I will actually be doing. I know I'd like to visit family with it, but that's no guarantee. It could be strictly a back road commuter for work.

It seems the FZ is a better bike, but maybe not so in the twisties (from the reviews). So I'm not sure if that extra heft (and size) plus the wind protection is as important as loosing some fun in the back roads. Again, it comes to one of those weighted pro/con scenarios.

I'll give you my take from the other side (a 50+ rider with lots of saddle time). I have dirt dikes and a FJR 1300 a nice 145hp mile eater but was looking for a fun day/ play bike for riding in the mountians where I live. Looked real hard at the SV but my wrists wouldn't like the" screw a turttle" riding position of a bike with clip ons.
Then I read a great shoot out between the SV, Ninja and the FZ6. The only catagory won by the Suzuki was handling in the twisties, no doubt a v twin is better at side to side transitions but the Yamaha clearly out preformed in comfort, power, fit and finish and far better brakes.
Yes you can ride without a windshield but after a while on a windy day you will feel it, the Fz is just right. Right now you say you may only ride 140 miles but once you start riding that will increase if you love to ride. I did 180 miles with a bud yesterday by 1:30 he had to get home to the honey do's so I gased up and rode another 80 just for fun!
Power, no doubt the v twin responds now BUT it still only makes 60+ plus compaired to 85 of the FZ. Don't worry about the peaky power, the Fz is very docile below 7K and above that it just wakes up-yoohoo! The throttle works both ways, it's up to you. When I ride the fun roads my FZ never gets below 8K and I am having a ball, it's about using a smooth throttle hand.
I think for your size and wanting to work up to a 750 Gixer (nice bike) the FZ6 with it's better power would be a fun bike to learn on.
You are doing your homework (very smart) and buying used ( save bucks and sell it if you don't like it). Good luck on your choice

Good points! I also think the I4 coupled with a upright riding position would probably be better than a V-twin with a forward lean in terms of transitioning to a supersport, from what some friends who have done similarly have told me.

For me the FZ is my very first bike, never road dirt bikes or anything, a couple things that really caught my attention about the FZ was the PRICE!! lol the more upright style of sitting especially when riding 2 up, the availability of mods to make a more "sporty" riding position if desired, and of course the motor which is just absolutely an amazing motor on this bike, sorry i don't have any other experience on other bikes but for me being a first time rider, i love this bike. oh and you will never get bored when you hit those higher RPMS oh man what a rush! :rockon:

Another valid point. The over 7k "lion", under 7k "lamb" modes seem to also be a great balance between power, fun, and commuting.

Another question, how come theres a big descrepency in fuel economy between the SV and the FZ? Even though the FZ got 2 more cylinders, its a smaller displacement, so they should offset. Is it gearing, aerodynamics?

It seems naked SV's are rated at 54mpg and most people said they get real world around 60mpg. The FZ's are rated at 40, and most of you said you see mid to high 40's. 15mpg is a sizeable difference IMO.

Thanks guys, awesome help!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Some or all SVs do not have a gas gauge. That alone would disqualify it in my mind. I ride with a friend with an SV (naked) and half of our ride, he was all stressed out about running out of gas. His is a couple of years old. Maybe newer models have it now. One BIG PLUS of the SV is (I think) is that you can get ABS as an option. That option comes at ~$600, but the FZ6 in the US doesn't have it. It's not viable to add it as an aftermarket. If I were buying a bike now, I'd only buy one with ABS. With the dangers of motorcycling, we need every advantage we can get on our side.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Another question, how come theres a big descrepency in fuel economy between the SV and the FZ? Even though the FZ got 2 more cylinders, its a smaller displacement, so they should offset. Is it gearing, aerodynamics?

It seems naked SV's are rated at 54mpg and most people said they get real world around 60mpg. The FZ's are rated at 40, and most of you said you see mid to high 40's. 15mpg is a sizeable difference IMO.

Thanks guys, awesome help!

I've never heard of any SV, that constantly got over 55mpg. That's just someone getting a little carried away. My Ninja 500R used to get 55mpg regularly and if you tried, you could get 60mpg. The best I've ever gotten with my SV was 46mpg. From what I've read about the FZ6, real world is about 35-42pmg. SV's get 40-50mpg. Not too much of a difference there. The FZ does however have a bigger gas tank.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
Some or all SVs do not have a gas gauge.

No SV has a gas gauge, they have a gas light. It starts blinking when you've got 1 gallon left and turns solid when you have .5 gallons remaining. Really annoying. Better than having a petc*ck any day though. ;)

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
... From what I've read about the FZ6, real world is about 35-42pmg. SV's get 40-50mpg. Not too much of a difference there. The FZ does however have a bigger gas tank.

i know every bike is different and every rider is different. but i think you're being a little harsh on the gas millage for the fz. you really have to be hard on it to get 35mpg. i know i've read of one or two guys on here that have had that, but they have to be 3rd gear and below all the time and really revving it. i have gotten 52 mpg (best), 45 mpg (average), and 41 mpg (worst).

to get 41 mpg i'm shooting off the line, getting up to the speed limit as fast as possible and staying in low gears. getting to 4th gear at 60-65 mph. this is simply having fun.

but on average i'm getting 45 or 46 mpg and that's simple riding back and forth to work. stop and go traffic and shifting at about 6-8k and cruising in 5th or 6th gear at 60ish mph.

that's all i have to add.

oh, and i don't think the fz6 is a starter bike. but shouting it from the rooftops isn't going to cause anyone to change their mind who has "respect" for the bike.

emsee

Reaction score
Visit site
i know every bike is different and every rider is different. but i think you're being a little harsh on the gas millage for the fz. you really have to be hard on it to get 35mpg. i know i've read of one or two guys on here that have had that, but they have to be 3rd gear and below all the time and really revving it. i have gotten 52 mpg (best), 45 mpg (average), and 41 mpg (worst).

to get 41 mpg i'm shooting off the line, getting up to the speed limit as fast as possible and staying in low gears. getting to 4th gear at 60-65 mph. this is simply having fun.

but on average i'm getting 45 or 46 mpg and that's simple riding back and forth to work. stop and go traffic and shifting at about 6-8k and cruising in 5th or 6th gear at 60ish mph.

that's all i have to add.

oh, and i don't think the fz6 is a starter bike. but shouting it from the rooftops isn't going to cause anyone to change their mind who has "respect" for the bike.

I'm actually really glad to read that! I've read reviews and people comments to reviews, a little bit of reading on this site and that's how I got to those mpg numbers for the FZ6. I'm glad to read it's better than I thought!

Also, I'd say the FZ6 is a better "starter" bike than the SV because of the SV's touchy throttle. I too love the "respect the bike" argument. :D