Naked with FZ1 bar, throttle problem

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else have trouble with the throttle cables after going naked and using a FZ1 bar? When I pull the throttle out farther, it seems to snap back better. Do I have to go back to the factory bars? This is really starting to get me frustrated!

I also tried to lube the throttle cables but managed to spray the foamy crap everywhere! How do you get the cable lube adapter on with the bend in the cable housing?

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the same problem with the exact setup fz1 headlight and bar. It really a matter of routing the cable so that it doesn't get pinched. It annoyed the hell out of me then finally fixed it with just one zip tie. Got to show it to you visually though it's hard to explain and maybe it will work for you maybe not.

Basically the cable will tend to go on the left side of the frame where it gets pinched behind the headlight specially when turning. Keeping the cable on the right side stops it from pinching altogether. Will do a visual representation for u later. Can't do it from my phone.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a problem on mine, but it is a stock naked with FZ1 bar. All the cables go over the triple tree and down and nothing binds or rubs.

I did have top reroute the brake cables, the SS ones were to stiff to follow the same path.

DSC_4035_zps0607e841.jpg

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
And of course now it hits the 90's with a poo-ton of humidity.

Yes, any routing help would be great. Unless it is getting caught somewhere inside the frame before it is mounted on the throttle body, I'm at a loss.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I took this random picture of the headlight from the net to explain what I did. I don't have a real picture.

So the line in red is usually where the throttle cable will settle when you have a FZ1 bar. As the bar is lower than the other bars, the throttle cable is too long and will tend to pinch when turn the handlebar to the left. Specially since the FZ1N stay don't have those cable routing loops. that's why when you pull the throttle cable and remove the 'excess' the pinching stops.

What I did on mine and hopefully it will work for you - is to make try to keep the cable along the green line. Doesn't seem like a major change but it made all the difference for me. I used a long zip tie to create a ring (blue) that will stop the throttle cable to go back to the red line. DO NOT tie the throttle cable tightly, leave enough space in the ring so that the throttle cable can move around when you steer the handlebar left and right. Tighten it just enough so that it won't go back to the red position. If you don't have a long zip tie, use two zip ties together. You can attach it to the fork or stay, but not the frame. By doing this, my throttle cable has been free from pinching and everything is smooth. When you put the zip tie in, make sure you test it in all position to make sure there is no pinching before you go riding again.

Of course, if you have too many cables or other things behind the headlight, you might still have this problem. If that's the case, you might want to consider pulling the excess harness inside the frame so that there is no excess behind the headlight. You have to open the tank, remove the air box, battery, battery holder and pull and hide the cable. It was worth the trouble as it freed up so much space behind that headlight. Others have hacked their harness to shorten it which works too, but I prefered not to.

Let us know if that worked for you. If you can't visualise what I did, I could take a picture for you at some point. I will have to remove the headlight in the coming weeks to replace something.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it to work. I had to go back to the frame entrance where the cables come out and make sure they were not being crowded by the clutch. It took some experimenting but I think I have it in a good place. Of course now the turn signal won't work on the side I took off to work on the routing for the throttle cables. Oh well! That's enough for tonight!