My wife wants her own bike now

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife having her own bike is one of the blessings of riding for me. She has a '09 GS500. Let me know if you have any particular questions, and good luck.

Joe

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Now's the time to sign up for early spring MSF classes. Great time to buy closeout gear too. I'd love to find a partner that enjoyed my hobby as much as I do. Congrats!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a Rebel 250 candidate - lightweight, easy to find on Craigslist, and nearly impossible to stall.

Great starter bike for many people, especially women (not being sexist, but most women due to their smaller size and weight have an easier time with a lighter bike)

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
We're looking at maybe a Ninja 250. She likes the sport bike look. :D
I haven't taken the MSF course yet but I am planning to do it next spring. It might be fun to take it together.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome to hear! I just took my gf for our first 2up ride today, pleased to say it went very well! As we took our helmets off, she said she wanted to go again! :)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats awesome mate :cheer: I love nothing more then going for an early morning ride through the hills with my wife :thumbup: Best part is , if we stick to the roads she knows & happens to fall behind if I choose to be a little 'spirited' she is more than happy to catch me up at the next town :D

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took my wife for the first 2-up ride on the FZ yesterday and now she want's her own bike.

Get her an FZ6.....

or give her yours and you can buy an FZ1 :thumbup:

And I'm glad to know you that you both will be taking the MSF course, it might just save your a**' one day.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're looking at maybe a Ninja 250. She likes the sport bike look. :D
I haven't taken the MSF course yet but I am planning to do it next spring. It might be fun to take it together.

Excellent choice for a first bike.. also consider Honda CBR250.

As for taking the class together.. it really depends on how well you guys get along and how well she will do in the class. *Everything* that's not working so well may end up being your fault :rof:

I've had quite a few couples in the classes I've taught.. some had a great time and got along great.. some.. not so much.

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
The Ninja 250 is also a great choice, IMHO...

Depending how well she does in the MSF, the Ninjo 500 is also a solid candidate - it offers a bit more "get up and go" for longer trips, yet it's not too heavy or too powerful...

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a ninja 500 for almost 5 years, Great beginner bike for me. never rode a 250 except the Honda Nighthawk in MSF. My friend bought the 500 but its parked next to the FZ for the winter. there very similar bikes all in all the FZ I like the 500's taller brother with more athletic abilities.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
If you love her, start her on a 250, if not, give her your FZ6 and get the FZ1.:BLAA:

I thank God that I started on a 250. :rockon:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Start her on whatever she feels comfortable on mate , thats the best piece of advice I can give you :thumbup: There are 100's of options , some better than others but only she can tell you what fits & feels good IMO , make that the priority & she'll ride forever :cheer:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
That's awesome news! Yeah, the MSF is the way to go. However, most MSF instructors discourage couples from taking the class together. I can attest to that. I took one a couple years ago with my wife. She was more worried that I'd constantly be watching/judging her than paying attention what when on in the class. Maybe your wife is different. Hope so.

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
She'll probably get the FZ6 in a couple years after my son starts riding. I definately want to start her out on a 250 and then hand it down to my son to start on. Then I can get an FZ1! :thumbup:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
another consideration

Take a test ride on one of the 250 or 300 class motor SCOOTERS.
These things are a joy to ride and they will fly.
No kidding.
I`m thinking about buying a Kymco People GT300i for myself.
My wife has an Aprilia Scarabeo 200 and loves it.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome news! Yeah, the MSF is the way to go. However, most MSF instructors discourage couples from taking the class together. I can attest to that. I took one a couple years ago with my wife. She was more worried that I'd constantly be watching/judging her than paying attention what when on in the class. Maybe your wife is different. Hope so.

This is one of the biggest issues I have faced as an MSF instructor. You get couples taking the class and both are so worried about what the other person is doing that they barely learn what is needed. Only take the course together if you can concentrate on the course and not be thinking about the other person.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
My perspective as a girl: If she's new to riding, get her something that won't leap out from under her and is forgiving in the clutch/throttle area. And something nice and low to the ground, if she's not awfully tall. A bike that no one's going to cry over when she lays it down practicing low-speed maneuvers.

And head-to-toe gear.

But be ready for her to want a shinier, oomphier bike after she's found her confidence. ;)