My wife wants her own bike now

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice on the MSF course and the bike suggestions. It's good to have a community of folks from whom we can learn from their experience.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife has had her license since she was eighteen. I love going for rides with her. She knows I'm more aggressive in the corners and lets me go. I simply wait for her at the next stop sign or wayside. It's a great way for the two of us to spend time with each other and she knows how much I love to ride and has no problem with me going out by myself to abuse some back road.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.779319,-91.205870

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree, I encourage you to take the class together. I usually have at least one couple in every class. You will still learn a lot even if it's a BRC.

By you having riding experience will facilitate the range exercises as I always look for strong riders to lead the group. Heck, somebody has to be first to take the skills evaluation. I usually stage the weaker riders towards the end so that they have an opportunity to watch others.

When I see couples, I will strategically place them so that they will always be separated out on the range. Ha Ha. A great Rider Coach will always have total control of the range.

The only negative drawback for couples taking the class together, there will always be the potential of being dropped. Meaning that if they end up struggling trying to meet the objectives, or cannot control the motorcycle and become a danger to themselves or others, I will excuse them from class. After all, motorcycling is not for everyone. Sorry, no refunds.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike signed me up for a course last Christmas (advanced rider course) and came along for the ride - he picked up a few tips too (mainly for track riding with him though).

We weren't beginners though :)

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
Took my wife to the bike shop today. Haven't made a purchase yet. Still shopping. She like the 2012 Ninja 250R though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took my wife to the bike shop today. Haven't made a purchase yet. Still shopping. She like the 2012 Ninja 250R though.

250R hasn't changed since 08, if I'm not mistaken. Search for a nice used one... use saved cash for good gear for her :thumbup:

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
250R hasn't changed since 08, if I'm not mistaken. Search for a nice used one... use saved cash for good gear for her :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of buying new cars, bikes, etc. I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. Our primary objective for yesterday's trip was to find a replacement for a helmet that I have dubbed the "Spaceballs helmet". While we were there she sat on the CBR 250 and the Ninja 250. She liked how she could flat-foot better on the Ninja than she could the CBR.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, my wife got an '09 GS500 with 200 miles for 3k out the door. The new model actually went down in price. Brand new wouldn't have been much more. Our thinking was that the 500 would last her longer - but then, she was pretty experienced at the time. Have fun!

Joe