My wife painted my FZ6

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's done. Here is my wife's paint job on the FZ6. I think it's amazing. She's considering pursuing this kind of work, but is unsure how to price it . . . plus, it's new to her. My bike is her first. The windshield is a Pearl Jam logo with words from 'Dissident.'

Joe

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like I'd have to see it in person to really understand what is going on. I really like the windsheild. The first pic sugests a really interesting paint layout but the rest of the pics don't seem to show it well. Is it color shifting or some kind of pearl under coat? Wife has a good shot if she keeps it up.

As far as what to charge, find a couple custom shops and take your bike there. Tell them you are looking to get it redone in a diferent color sceme and get an estamate or three. Then take the cost of materials out, devide the remainder by the amount of time it took her to do it and establish that as her hourly rate. Then you will know :)

She is best off if she can figure an honest estamate of the time it will take to do the job and then charge an hourly rate + Materials. Once she establishes her rate, she will be able to take on complicated jobs without losing money.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The photos don't do it justice... kind of tough to pick out the depth of the scheme. You can see how intricate the design is in the last photo showing the angles on the gas tank.

towa

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's done. Here is my wife's paint job on the FZ6. I think it's amazing. She's considering pursuing this kind of work, but is unsure how to price it . . . plus, it's new to her. My bike is her first. The windshield is a Pearl Jam logo with words from 'Dissident.'

Joe

Wauv - super job. Respect to your wife :thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like your paintjob! I love the charcoal gray/black scheme and the graphics are tastefully done. I'd offer my bike up for a test/concept paintjob if I was in the area. :thumbup:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like your paintjob! I love the charcoal gray/black scheme and the graphics are tastefully done. I'd offer my bike up for a test/concept paintjob if I was in the area. :thumbup:

Keep it in mind for next winter . . . wait, you don't have winter. I kinda figure that any job would involve people shipping in parts and getting finished pieces back. Also, Holly did the prep on this, but would probably farm that out in the future as she did with the clear coat.

And thanks for the compliments. She was real nervous and had a lot to learn.

Joe

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
nice :)

as for hourly rate most shops here in aus are around $50+ hr + paint

or they quote you $ for specific work
ie a tank will be $500 inclusive

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, great job, nice artwork, and subtle enough.

That's a talented Missus you have there.

:thumbup:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe, if you had posted pictures of the parts when you asked for help putting it togeather, I may have come down from Boston to help :)

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe, if you had posted pictures of the parts when you asked for help putting it togeather, I may have come down from Boston to help :)

I appreciate that. I didn't have them, and it turned out I made too much of it. It took me only about a couple of hours, and that includes removing the inner cowlings once I realized the mirrors had to go on first. :shakehead:

Joe

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate that. I didn't have them, and it turned out I made too much of it. It took me only about a couple of hours, and that includes removing the inner cowlings once I realized the mirrors had to go on first. :shakehead:

Joe

I think I ran into the same problem. At one point I pulled the faring back off to lower the tank. Dumb ass me didn't' even consider unbolting the rear of the tank would have been much easier. But now I've done it so many times it is a cake walk. I love working on the bike, so much easier than the car.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site

Joe
awesome. She did a great job!:thumbup: