My new track bike :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never seen an airfilter that bad...that has to be the original. Must be all the smog making it so black :D

You really got a great bike there....you're gonna love it.

That's for sure. Looks like a million gnats got sucked down the ram air vents! YUCK!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update:

- valve adjustment: done (no shims required)
- new iridium spark plugs: done
- chain and sprockets: cleaned

Moving right along... still missing most parts from Ron Ayers... hopefully they get delivered this week...

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good, how hard was the valve check?

Ordering stuff from ronayers always takes a while, but it's cheaper and better than ordering from a stealership where the parts guy acts like you're the bane of his existance for no reason at all.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The valve check was pretty straight forward, and made easy by the wide frame of the gixxer, which allows easy access... It was also quite helpful to have Cali_Rider there as a guide :D :rockon: (thanks John!).

Here is my daughter doing my valves on the Buell :D

3302772130_4454965cda_b.jpg

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done,that is a real bargain. I wish i could be so lucky,gixer will be my second bike as well, but i think i'll go for 750. Anyway, good luck with yer repairs,if you find one more please let me know ;))

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done,that is a real bargain. I wish i could be so lucky,gixer will be my second bike as well, but i think i'll go for 750. Anyway, good luck with yer repairs,if you find one more please let me know ;))

Actually, I met a guy who has a few bikes up for Sale right now...
- 04 CBR1000 with 7500 miles
- 01 RC51 (not sure about the mileage)
- 06 CBR600R with 2000 miles

If anyone is interested, PM me and I`ll give you his phone number (you'd have to call him about prices, and he is located in Long Beach, CA).

On a side note, I just ordered my track plastics!!!! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nothing like the free labor from children...LOL

Train em up young i say, get em in the pits with you...your interest becomes their interest....had the 10 year old helping with Sprockets last night...he knows all about gearing now....

Back on topic, looks like this bike is coming together beautifully....cant wait to hear what you think, when you do get it out on the track.

:thumbup:

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I met a guy who has a few bikes up for Sale right now...
- 04 CBR1000 with 7500 miles
- 01 RC51 (not sure about the mileage)
- 06 CBR600R with 2000 miles

If anyone is interested, PM me and I`ll give you his phone number (you'd have to call him about prices, and he is located in Long Beach, CA).

On a side note, I just ordered my track plastics!!!! :rockon:

Is RC51 same as european VTR1000 SP1??

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
New update after another productive weekend! Thanks Cali_Rider for all the help!

We dropped the forks to replace the oil and re-packed the steering bearing (which needed it badly!)... The chain was also thoroughly cleaned (off the bike) and the master link was swapped with a new one.

Cali_Rider helped install a hoist in my garage (Harbor Freight rocks! it was $10!)... here are a few pics:

3323527646_208eacbd15_b.jpg

3323527748_8c689cd27a_b.jpg

3323527848_9e0f02bebf_b.jpg

Also, my hotbodies track plastics got delivered this morning!! (I just checked the tracking info)... which means I am only waiting on the Ron Ayers parts (delivery expected for Wednesday), along with the braided brake lines (bastards said "stock" on their website, but it was actually on back order...)... hopefully I'll get the lines this week too...

So here is what's left on the "to do list":

1 chain/sprockets: inspect/clean/adjust: DONE!
2 check battery: DONE!
3 drain fuel from tank
4 oil + filter change
5 replace all coolant hoses
6 replace fuel line
7 flush cooling system (use water wetter)
8 change fork oil: DONE!
9 check steering head bearings and re-pack grease: DONE!
10 check/replace air filter
11 fix handlebar end (right side is loose): DONE!
12 replace spark plugs: DONE!
13 re-build front brake
14 check valves and adjust: DONE!
15 find and fix the electrical turn signal issue
16 check/adjust engine idle speed
17 check/adjust clutch cable: DONE!
18 check/torque main bolts
19 lub control levers + brake pedal, gear shift and side stand pivots
20 install track plastics

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Looky what was delivered last night :cheer:

3325440455_ccbfa6c1ee_b.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to mount everything (no instructions whatsoever lol).

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's working great! Thanks again for the link man, it saved me quite a lot of $$ :)

Talking about $$, check out what I am asking for all the OEM plastics + headlight unit:

3326074649_99df428795_o.jpg

Basically, I am selling the parts for 30% cheaper than the Ron Ayers price... and the plastics are all in very good condition... I`ll sell the full package for $1500 and include the flush mount turn signals, integrated LED tail light and OEM mirrors for free...
If I can find a buyer, that'll almost pay for the bike! LOL

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's working great! Thanks again for the link man, it saved me quite a lot of $$ :)

Talking about $$, check out what I am asking for all the OEM plastics + headlight unit:

Basically, I am selling the parts for 30% cheaper than the Ron Ayers price... and the plastics are all in very good condition... I`ll sell the full package for $1500 and include the flush mount turn signals, integrated LED tail light and OEM mirrors for free...

Dude, I may have to tag along for the track day and play camera man for you guys. Hit me up as the date approaches.:thumbup:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site

Looks like you are ruling out using it for canyon carving.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, I may have to tag along for the track day and play camera man for you guys. Hit me up as the date approaches.:thumbup:

lol, I was actually thinking the same thing. I have a friend that's going to a trackday in April and am starting to think track days will be perfect places to practice action shots with the SLR. :thumbup: Plus I'd get to see the bike ready to run and experience a track day. Win, win, win. ;)

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

Will do Rob, np! If you can take a day off, it`s going to be on Friday the 13th.... yeah, I know....

crazybiker: yeah, what Dako said! :)

Cmayer31: you'll have a blast, but you'll also be pissed not to be able to ride!!! The track is indeed great to play with the SLR, but depending on the track, you'd better have a 300mm zoom... (unless they let you walk around freely)...